[HELP] EBIOS read error: device timeout

7 posts in this topic

Hello, i'm italian, so sorry for my english.

I bought a DVD-R and i burn it (at the slowest speed) with SL 10.6.2 intel and AMD by hazard image.

When i insert the dvd and i try to make it work:

• Half the time my dvd don't start in the boot sequence
  • When it start in the boot sequence ALWAYS gives me the error "EBIOS read error: device timeout" (I tried to make it work with all the parameters: -v, -v -x, -v arch=i386, -v -x -f, -v -f)
  • The system worked ONLY one time and it gave me the GUI installation, then the system has checked the integrity of the dvd and than it gave me an error that forces me to reboot

Over this forum and internet i found some answers, could be a failed bourn.

So i bought some DVD+R and i downloaded these images:

• SL 10.6.2 Intel and AMD by hazard (again)
  • SL 10.6.2 Intel only
  • SL 10.6.6i Intel only

I tried to run these images with the parameter "-v arch=i386" and with the last two images i had EBIOS error, but with the first image i could start the system GUI. But, as before, the system has checked the integrity of the dvd and than force me to reboot.

I don't know what to do.

it simply might be your dvd drive/BIOS combination that some bootloader info can't be interpreted in time, so it panics before the boot process is initiated. I have seen PCs that had problems booting Windows7 DVDs as well only because Microsoft changed the bootloader a tiny bit since Vista and it turned out that some BIOS only have these problems.

Try a different DVD drive or maybe a USB stick installation to see if this fixes it. You are not fixed or limited to use a physical DVD when it comes to OSX install. there are many options, including PXE netboot or USB. It is Unix, so it is flexible :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the suggestion,

actually i can't really replace my dvd drive because i only have this one.

But can you suggest me some guide to install OSX by USB drive?

Thanks a lot.

clone the dvd to a usb with apples disk utility :

format stick with MBR partition scheme as Mac OS journaled

then locate dvd and go to option -> restore in Diskutil, choose DVD as source ( drag and drop ) and the new USB partition as target, this will clone the content 1 to 1 to the USB.

Then to make the stick bootable you run the installer for chameleon bootloader, and choose the USB stick as installation , not the internal HD. then you have a bootable Snow Stick ( and you can add kexts or useful apps to it this way) . Bonus is that installation from USB is really quick, only half the time a DVD would need.

clone the dvd to a usb with apples disk utility :

format stick with MBR partition scheme as Mac OS journaled

then locate dvd and go to option -> restore in Diskutil, choose DVD as source ( drag and drop ) and the new USB partition as target, this will clone the content 1 to 1 to the USB.

Then to make the stick bootable you run the installer for chameleon bootloader, and choose the USB stick as installation , not the internal HD. then you have a bootable Snow Stick ( and you can add kexts or useful apps to it this way) . Bonus is that installation from USB is really quick, only half the time a DVD would need.

Ehmmm, i'm sorry to create discomfort. Actually i don't have a mac, but i'm sure there is a solution on windows. I'll find it.

EDIT: Can i do these operation on a virtual machine?

• 2 weeks later...