Lion compatibility with single core CPU?

GnatGoSplat

3 posts in this topic

My hackintosh is running Snow Leopard and has a Celeron M 520 single-core CPU. It's a Merom core and supports MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64, XD bit. Snow Leopard reports it as a Core 2 Solo. It looks like the only requirement not fulfilled is the need for dual core.

Can this run, or be made to run Lion? I've read that removing PlatformSupport.plist might allow it to run on unsupported platforms, but really curious if it can run on single core.

you need a patched osinstall.mpkg - and not only the famous one that lets you install to MBR but a super-tweaked one which has the hardware checks removed..

Installer does call a script inside the package that checks if it is a core2duo and if it has 2x1024MB of Ram and also if your "Mac" has a blacklisted ID ( first generation Intel macs like the 2006 Mini are blacklisted inside the pkg ).

Nobody can guarantee that installation will be good even if all the checks are removed.

that plist is in Lion long after it has been installed. its in /system/library/coreservices and must be removed on first boot in single user mode.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update this thread since I finally got around to installing Lion on top of Snow Leopard. It didn't seem to care that my CPU is only single core and it has installed fine and works great. I have to boot with arch=i386 to get all resolutions and QE/CI to work just because GMA950 only has 32-bit kexts (or something like that), but the way I installed Lion using an install partition and xMove didn't care about number of cores at all. I didn't have to edit anything.