fake your GFX device id

Cyrus the Great

14 posts in this topic

so this is not a new thing or method you add fake device id for sata usb or other and i am add one to gfx.

if your device not present in atixxxxxcontroller.kext or ATIradeonxxxxxx.kext every time you update must add you device id to info.plist of that file so simply you can fake your device id with one that peresent in that file by defualt

here id mine:my device id is 0x9480 and in ATi4600controller.kext there is 0x9488 by defualt so i add this under gfx section of my dsdt and after it no need to add device id to this kext and it recognize my card with 0x9488 id

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		{
			Store (Package (0x02)
				{
					"device-id", 
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x88, 0x94, 0x00, 0x00
					}
				}, Local0)
			DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
			Return (Local0)
		}

How do you determine which device ID to use?

acually the device id dont efect the performance of your card you becuase the injector do it(i am use ATY_Init)it only for get ride of ino.plist editing.but it better to use device id that is closer to your device id

Hello Cyrus...i'm trying this...but although i can add this code into my dsdt my radeon hd4670 gfx card is still recognized in system profiler 0x9495 ...i changed id in your code to 0x9490 ... a close match to my card...ioregistryexplorer shows the gfx(0) entry...followed by your code..but on diplay@0 still my old 0x9495.....obviously i'm inserting it wrong...can u assist me? ;)

Hello Cyrus...i'm trying this...but although i can add this code into my dsdt my radeon hd4670 gfx card is still recognized in system profiler 0x9495 ...i changed id in your code to 0x9490 ... a close match to my card...ioregistryexplorer shows the gfx(0) entry...followed by your code..but on diplay@0 still my old 0x9495.....obviously i'm inserting it wrong...can u assist me? :P

hi

gfx section is different for each dsdt.

can you send your ioreg ,and dsdt .so i can look at it say to you the correct section.

thx for the quick reply Cyrus...here's the output from ioregistryexplorer(hope you can use this) and my dsdt with my attempted modDSDT.aml.zip RustyBalls___s_Mac_Pro_5_.zip

it seems that you remove gfx section from your dsdt .did remove any part of your dsdt?

i add the VGA device to your dsdt .plz test if not work

plz post your untouched dsdt

DSDT_ID.aml.zip

it seems that you remove gfx section from your dsdt .did remove any part of your dsdt?

i add the VGA device to your dsdt .plz test if not work

plz post your untouched dsdt

....i never had a gfx section in dsdt....was being handled by kext and injectors... the agp to pci bridge was loaded under agpgart.kext...which right now with this mod, no longer loads...i'll try the attached dsdt and get back to you

add GFX and _DSM into P0P1

try it

... ;) are you following me MaL...? ...just testing this here...

Cyrus...that got my card id changed...and agpgart still loads :) but as i hoped against, when i load the ATI4600Controller.kext, ..i get a black screen or whitescreen black vertical lines... system lockup at startup(which is what happens without the mod too) these cards are iffy on 10.6.8 i know...and my AGP version only muddies the water..anyway...here is ioregistryexplorer output after your mod...RustyBalls___s_Mac_Pro_6_.zip...this may not help without correct framebuffer specified...?...i know...there's a hack for that too... ;)

thanks Cyrus.....and MaL

... ;) are you following me MaL...? ...just testing this here...

Cyrus...that got my card id changed...and agpgart still loads :) but as i hoped against, when i load the ATI4600Controller.kext, ..i get a black screen or whitescreen black vertical lines... system lockup at startup(which is what happens without the mod too) these cards are iffy on 10.6.8 i know...and my AGP version only muddies the water..anyway...here is ioregistryexplorer output after your mod...RustyBalls___s_Mac_Pro_6_.zip...this may not help without correct framebuffer specified...?...i know...there's a hack for that too... ;)

thanks Cyrus.....and MaL

well its only inject device id .you system is desktop and don't have limitation of laptop (number of port and sense id)

but i think you must mode your personality 4600 have 3 frame buffer shrike Gliff and flicker .i am using default one Gliff

i attache a redsock bios dumping tools its get you more info about your transmiter ,.... you can use it alongside with bbc9 bios dumping tools.and the thing that i see in your ioreg that the ATIx2000.kext and ati4600controller not loaded !!!and your ioreg don't have any frambuffer(may be the reason is that you delete this to next to past black screen)any way when you get black screen set AtiConfig=Motmot or other frambuffer that don't exist in Ati4600controller then you can pass black screen without deleting your next

may be help you

redsock_bios_decoder.zip

well its only inject device id .you system is desktop and don't have limitation of laptop (number of port and sense id)

but i think you must mode your personality 4600 have 3 frame buffer shrike Gliff and flicker .i am using default one Gliff

i attache a redsock bios dumping tools its get you more info about your transmiter ,.... you can use it alongside with bbc9 bios dumping tools.and the thing that i see in your ioreg that the ATIx2000.kext and ati4600controller not loaded !!!and your ioreg don't have any frambuffer(may be the reason is that you delete this to next to past black screen)any way when you get black screen set AtiConfig=Motmot or other frambuffer that don't exist in Ati4600controller then you can pass black screen without deleting your next

may be help you

....thank you again Cyrus....i'll try the attached tool(and bbc9's)in earlier test i've had the computer boot to black and still have system running...login blind sound volume adjusts ...but only with the older kexts <10.6.5 ... ;) i used chameleon GraphicsEnabler aty_init...

i'm convinced

this card can work....i may however...be mistaken...didn't work well enough...ati4600controller would not load with fake id back to old dsdt(no gfx) ad disabled ati4600controller...thx anyway

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back and old topic, but: will this work on a real mac (an imac)? I want to fake my onboard ATI graphic card and make mac believe it's another device ID (an ATI firegl) and then use their 10-bit display capabilities. The card can do it, but ati only enable it on firegl/firepro (more expensive) cards. So you have to fool the system to activate it.

I've been able to softmod it on windows 7 and get this working, but I don't know how to do it on mac without reflashing the bios video card (and I don't like this idea) with another device ID. The whole stuff is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285862-ati-radeon-hd4850-10bit/

Researching I get into this topic and find it interesting, but I don't know how to change the DSDT and make my imac boot with it as it's not a hackintosh and not using chameleon or a bootloader other than darwin.