Snow Leopard 'No Entry' Sign

MAMBX

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Basically I have a Black MacBook, and it was running Windows 7 but I changed the HDD to a larger one and formatted the HDD. Burned SL to a DVDR DL, and booted it up, but I keep on getting a no entry sign after 2 minutes and it doesn't even go to the installation menu. Tried everything, USB installation, more DVD's, just doesn't budge from there. No entry sign appears after the apple logo and the spinner just spins.

Any ideas? Thanks, been pulling my hair out all night over it! :)

An install DVD that came with another Mac will not work. The DVD must be specifically for your MacBook, or the universal "retail" DVD in the white box with a white label.

If you're sure you have the right thing, try burning it again at slowest speed supported by burner and media, or try different brand DL media.

thanks for the reply, I don't have the retail DVD at the moment but saved a copy of it on my PC which i'm using to burn on the DVDR DLs. I'll try the retail one out but i'm pretty sure that that's not the issue, and i've burnt it using Toast 11 on a MacBook Pro at slow speeds (took an hour to complete) still no dice though. Could it be a bad HDD perhaps?

will do, will report back in half an hour ;)

Tried it, says 'could not find any scan information' when i hit restore. I have a 8GB USB stick, i formatted it in disk utility with a GUID partition (for it to boot) and then selected the Snow leopard image, dragged it to source and then dragged the usb to destination, doesn't go past that error. using MacBook Pro if that helps.

Okay fixed it, and I am now on the installation screen! Had to use a bigger external HDD to restore the image on to, which worked. But now it says 'Cannot install MAC on this machine' and I can't do anything else other than select a backup which i don't have lol, is this because it's not the 'retail' DVD?

Update, installed a copy of OS X 10.5.8 which is working fine, but I still can't install SL, keeps on saying 'cannot install on this machine', is it because I have a core duo machine or something else?