• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Dillster11

Dillster11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am considering purchasing a netbook to dual boot OS X and Windows 7 and was wondering whether this one is appropriate for OS X.
http://www.amazon.co...uct/B004UR7R0U/
If not can you suggest a compatible netbook with similar specs and within a similar price range.
If you recommend a netbook it must be on a UK site such as ebuyer or Amazon. Thanks.

itgbkj

itgbkj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ran a query in Google and came-up with a blog on 1015px w/ OSX that's fairly new. It claims that he was able to get OSX to work using ##### + ##### approach. An anonymous response said that it's a fake. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

elixeus

elixeus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I read this topic before I took the plunge and bought the 1015PX because I was wanting to know this same thing before purchasing one myself. So it looks like I'll be doing some guiding on the subject. Remember, all the props go to the people in the OSx86 community, they created it and made it happen. I'm just mixing together their magic to make it work for this computer. I only get credit for spending my time figuring out what works through trial and error.

When I bought the computer I thought: worse come to worse I'll just use Windows 7. However, I was not thrilled being an avid Mac user. The first week went by, while the Windows 7 experience wasn't per se horrible, I started to miss the functionality of my MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (15" MacBook Pro 2,2 Perbyn, Late 2006, 4GB, 320GB, Lion) machine.

To answer your question, yes I have gotten it fully working for my needs, but not everything may work but most everything important does, except for the pesky problem regarding the Intel 3150GMA.

What's working:
1064x600 Resolution
Track Pad
Keyboard
Battery Menu Indicator
Wi-FI
Sound
Seemingly at this point most programs, except where resolution/graphics acceleration requires a boost with both.

What's not working:
Sleep (wakes to a black screen)
Microphone
QE/CI hardware acceleration for Intel 3150GMA (maybe donate to Melkort?)
... and other things I haven't tested yet!

I'm pretty busy with college, but if you decide to get one, I bought mine through B&H Photo Video online. I received the one-speaker version which sucks, but not a big deal - that's what headphones are for. Something cool about this particular model is it already comes with three partitions, the restore (30GB partition), a 100GB partition for Windows 7's C, and D is completely empty just waiting to be formatted HFS+. It's almost as if Asus had designed it for this very purpose!

As for the Windows side of things, it isn't all that bad. I am actually moderately impressed. For sure, you need to upgrade the ram to 2 gigs, and install Windows 7 Ultimate (I chose the 32-bit version since I only have 1 GB of ram at this point). After I installed it, I just went to Asus's product page for the 1015px went to downloads and pretty much installed all the newest updates. Installed Norton Security Essentials (free through my ISP) and everything is golden on that side.

BTW, I was the 'anonymous' that posted on that guys blog. It ticks me off when people try to impress people without providing any information on their install procedure!

If you guys write back showing genuine interest, I will help you and write a basic guide to get you set up.

Sorry for a confusing first post, there's just so much I needed to say.

elixeus

elixeus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've posted a guide that can be found here:
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=267160

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy