SATA 6GB/s / SATA III - PCIe Card - Works in LION !

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Have you tried using this card in a RAID0 setup? If so what were your results in OSX? Any luck?

thejekocomputer

thejekocomputer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Dear Hexidecimal,
I'm using a couple of this card in a GA-P35-DS3P because I have 8 HD in software raid (4 X 1+1 1TB HD in Raid 0 and all of them joined in a raid 1 to make one 4TB hd that is my share hd) and one for OSX (lion 10.7.2) and everything work out of the box.

ciao

Sergio

CJP2

CJP2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
thejekocomputer,

Can you confirm in any way that this card is port multiplier aware in Lion? Does one of your enclosures have a setting for JBOB you could test?

This would really help me out as I'm looking to get a multi bay enclosure soon. Thanks,

thejekocomputer

thejekocomputer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
CJP2,
I have my HDs connected to the cards and the MB sata ports to make a single volume as a type of raid 10. I don't know if this card is port multiplier as I'm using a single drive for every sata port, but I am a newbie and if I can make some test (non destructive, I'm using this volume for my music and movie) please feel free to teach me What I have to do. I'm quite comfortable with terminal.

CJP2

CJP2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
thejekocomputer,

Doesn't look like you can help, need an enclosure that will do 2+ drives with JBOB configuration to test.

I aim to do similar to you but to put 2 or 3 large drives with existing OSs and storage partitions in an external box and run them JBOB (where they show up as individual drives) so as to not have to reformat them for RAID or Span (big) and not use a software base RAID to do it.

Still looking, nothing on google or other searches.

meistermeister

meistermeister

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hello,
thanks for pointing out that this SATA PCIe Card worked for you!
I bought it on ebay for about 18 EUR. Exact the same card as in your picture.
Worked without any problem to install Lion 10.7.1 on an nForce 780i SLI board (this board lacks AHCI support and I had no luck with many kexts, so i bought this card).

PS: Never tried RAID or hot swap.

Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Dear Hexidecimal,
I'm using a couple of this card in a GA-P35-DS3P because I have 8 HD in software raid (4 X 1+1 1TB HD in Raid 0 and all of them joined in a raid 1 to make one 4TB hd that is my share hd) and one for OSX (lion 10.7.2) and everything work out of the box.

ciao

Sergio

Thanks for the reply! Definitely going to pick on of these cards up when I go to an SSD.

CJP2

CJP2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
My card arrived today and installed with no problems. Everything working as it should and I did see a minor bump in disk performance scores.

Still haven't decided on which external multi-drive enclosure I'm getting (and waiting for the price of HDs to come back down a bit to populate it with) but I'll report if the PM feature of this card works in the future. I did enter the bios and there were no new features detected there automatically with the addition of the card.

Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I ended up picking up one of these cards: http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

Installed into a PCI-e 1x slot, had to bend the back plate slightly to get a solid connection and still be able to screw it to the case. Reloaded the OS on the new controller. Detected automatically, no configuration or drivers needed. Solid card, nice to get my SSD off my southbridge. I'm seeing about 200MB/s read speeds with it which is slow for the Crucial M4 128GB I have, but still infinitely faster than my old magnetic drive.

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• Retired
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
Sadly it's because of the limitations on the pcie x1 bus Hexa, it doesn't have enough bandwidth for fledged SATA III drives (dunno why don't they just market it as SATA II as it's works at those speeds). Of course if coming from a magnetic disk that peaks at around ~60-70 mb/s and you're running at near 200 mb/s it will most definitely seem infinetely faster ;)

Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I've got an open 16x slot. Think I'd get better results if I move the card down to there?

Edited by Gringo Vermelho, 27 January 2013 - 01:03 PM.
Fullquote removed

CJP2

CJP2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hex,

You'll get much better results moving your card to the 16x slot. More bandwidth for those SATAIII speeds.

Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Yeah you guys were 100% correct on that one. Moved it down to the PCI-e 16x 2.0 slot and speed shot through the roof. Thanks so much for the advice. This card is great, so happy with the results now!

Attached Files

jeopardise

jeopardise

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Anybody tested the port-multiplier if it works? I want to order the card from one of the online shop but there's no stock.

Qianlong

Qianlong

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Hello

First thanks to the OP for lettings us know what sata card is working. I've just ordered 1 on ebay (13.99 euro + shipping).

I'm planning to buy an aftermarket cooler for my video card and the whole set-up would block my 2nd x16 pci-e slot.

I'm wondering if anyone tried using the sata card in a X4 or X8 pci-e slot and if they did is the performance still ok?

Thanx

Gigabyte X58-UD5 - core i7920

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
As long as they are spec 2.0, the number of lanes won't matter as the card will only use one lane anyway. Your board has four 2.0 slots, two PCIe x16 2.0 and two PCIe x8 2.0 and you would get full speed from the card in any of them, BUT each of the x8 slots shares bandwidth with a corresponding x16 slot, so if you have 2 graphics cards, one in each x16 and use this card in one of the x8 slots, it will drop the corresponding x16 slot down to x8 as well. If you only have 1 GPU, you can put it in either the 2nd x16 or the 2nd x8 slots with no impact on your other hardware. Do not put it in the first x8 slot. P.S. yes, I have the card-works way better than Marvell!

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• Retired
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
@Hexidecimal It took me a while to find back this topic sorry for the late reply but I see you got an answer to your question glad to see you're reaping the speed boost rewards.

Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Thanks! Yes it makes a huge difference and it's wonderful the card is natively supported in OS X. Thanks again for the help.

BALDY_MAN

BALDY_MAN

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 306 posts
I've just ordered one off ebay. should be here in 2 weeks i will keep you posted

BALDY_MAN

BALDY_MAN

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 306 posts
ok guys i got a ASM1061 Chip card testing with nova bench i get 306 mbs write speed using blackmagic disk test i get low scores 100.2 write 187 read AJA System test i get 371.3 write 317.2 read thats in lion build 11D50d

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy