SATA 6GB/s / SATA III - PCIe Card - Works in LION !

notshy

100 posts in this topic

Hello,

thanks for pointing out that this SATA PCIe Card worked for you!

I bought it on ebay for about 18 EUR. Exact the same card as in your picture.

Worked without any problem to install Lion 10.7.1 on an nForce 780i SLI board (this board lacks AHCI support and I had no luck with many kexts, so i bought this card).

PS: Never tried RAID or hot swap.

Dear Hexidecimal,

I'm using a couple of this card in a GA-P35-DS3P because I have 8 HD in software raid (4 X 1+1 1TB HD in Raid 0 and all of them joined in a raid 1 to make one 4TB hd that is my share hd) and one for OSX (lion 10.7.2) and everything work out of the box.

ciao

Sergio

Thanks for the reply! Definitely going to pick on of these cards up when I go to an SSD.

• 2 weeks later...

My card arrived today and installed with no problems. Everything working as it should and I did see a minor bump in disk performance scores.

Still haven't decided on which external multi-drive enclosure I'm getting (and waiting for the price of HDs to come back down a bit to populate it with) but I'll report if the PM feature of this card works in the future. I did enter the bios and there were no new features detected there automatically with the addition of the card.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up picking up one of these cards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0A6ZS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Installed into a PCI-e 1x slot, had to bend the back plate slightly to get a solid connection and still be able to screw it to the case. Reloaded the OS on the new controller. Detected automatically, no configuration or drivers needed. Solid card, nice to get my SSD off my southbridge. I'm seeing about 200MB/s read speeds with it which is slow for the Crucial M4 128GB I have, but still infinitely faster than my old magnetic drive.

Sadly it's because of the limitations on the pcie x1 bus Hexa, it doesn't have enough bandwidth for fledged SATA III drives (dunno why don't they just market it as SATA II as it's works at those speeds). Of course if coming from a magnetic disk that peaks at around ~60-70 mb/s and you're running at near 200 mb/s it will most definitely seem infinetely faster ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello

First thanks to the OP for lettings us know what sata card is working. I've just ordered 1 on ebay (13.99 euro + shipping).

I'm planning to buy an aftermarket cooler for my video card and the whole set-up would block my 2nd x16 pci-e slot.

I'm wondering if anyone tried using the sata card in a X4 or X8 pci-e slot and if they did is the performance still ok?

Thanx

Gigabyte X58-UD5 - core i7920

As long as they are spec 2.0, the number of lanes won't matter as the card will only use one lane anyway. Your board has four 2.0 slots, two PCIe x16 2.0 and two PCIe x8 2.0 and you would get full speed from the card in any of them, BUT each of the x8 slots shares bandwidth with a corresponding x16 slot, so if you have 2 graphics cards, one in each x16 and use this card in one of the x8 slots, it will drop the corresponding x16 slot down to x8 as well. If you only have 1 GPU, you can put it in either the 2nd x16 or the 2nd x8 slots with no impact on your other hardware. Do not put it in the first x8 slot. P.S. yes, I have the card-works way better than Marvell!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok guys i got a ASM1061 Chip card testing with nova bench i get 306 mbs write speed using blackmagic disk test i get low scores 100.2 write 187 read AJA System test i get 371.3 write 317.2 read thats in lion build 11D50d

• 2 weeks later...

hey so can i hope to get good performance from my ssd samsung 830????? O_O now i use the native SATAII slot cause SATAIII is powerful by MARVELL 9120 -.-

So can u confirm that this card works OOB (without kexts?) and it works for boot drive? Thanks

edit: i read of incompatibility with some SSDs like mine SAMSUNG 830...do u know something?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The card currently shows as Unknown controller but I'm seeing if one of the other admins can help make a simple kext to change those aesthetics.

There is a simple way to address this "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" and change it to "ASMedia AHCI Standard Controller" -- or anything text that you want to be displayed. This involves installing LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext to S/L/E.

But first you should edit the Info.plist of the kext. Look under the GenericAHCI and change the string for "Vendor Name" to ASMedia. If you want to change the AHCI Standard Controller, it's the string for "Chipset Name".

This is superficial and purely cosmetic change as GenericAHCI is being utilized to support this controller under OS X. And that's exactly what System Profiler is reporting.

What would happen if you needed additional SATA ports and bought an expansion card made my BADassMedia that is similarly supported under OS X? The System Profiler would report that this card is "ASMedia AHCI Standard Controller" or whatever you'll be calling it.

Anyhow... good luck and make sure you clear/update your cache.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok let me see if I understand what were you trying to ask. Yes this card is capable of booting any drives that are connected to it's ports. In the BIOS you can have the option to set the drive that is being connected to it to be the first in boot order.

Yes both of my Intel 330 60GB SSDs are TRIM enable. I'm using this application ( http://chameleon.ale...ni.it/index.php ) to enable the TRIM support on 10.8.1.

I have set my Intel 330 60GB SSDs as a boot drive configured with RAID 0 using AppleRAID software. If you are interested on doing the same setup or configuration, you can go to this thread ( http://www.insanelym...howtopic=282274 ) and read all about it.

You can install the kext even though you don't have the ASM1061 card plug in yet. I hope that I have answered all your questions.

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Please don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them.

• 1 month later...

either broken, or....They have horrible connectors that will not allow sata cables to lock on, even the locking style ones, so the stiffness of the cable wiggling just a tad can break the connection (seemed to happen everytime I put the side panel back on the case. I actually put a small little square of electrical tape on the sata port (on the side without the gold pins) which gave it the little bit of extra thickness and grip it needed to keep the sata cables in place, zero problems since.

(...)

I have found a card that I get to test tomorrow, here:

InLine ® interface card, 2x SATA 6Gb / s, PCIe, and 2-fold with RAID HDD Caddy

if I have to see if that is bootable and how to write and read speed of the Intel 330.

(...)

Today I have this card:

InLine ® interface card, 2x SATA 6Gb / s, PCIe, and 2-fold with RAID HDD Caddy

http://www.amazon.co...ess x1 2.0 Card

and get the runs on ML 10.8.2 under Lion 10.7.5.

The card is bootable and will appear as "IDE SSD as a depending on the type of SSD" option in the BIOS.

Then a small menu where you can see what's inside SSD in one of 2 Caddy.

Then boots normally like before the chameleon and ML 10.8.2 will boot without problems.

I tested it only with an Intel 330 Series (180GB) SSD as a simple, non-RAID option.

Now to the actual goal of the full speed of the Intel 330 Series (180GB) as an Sata third

In this card, a Marvell chip (ever not good!) 91.xx installed. I was inside the card in my MSI P55-GD65-7583 board, in a free PCIe x16 slot.

(...)

So Marvell chipset also works?

Edit: if your CMOS/bios hangs or is incompatible with the asm1061 boot rom, just keep pressing "n" on boot and it will disable the option boot rom

edit2: Has anyone got IRQ conflicts with this?

edit3: has anyone used port multiplier with this in OSX and ZFS it? (I seen post in pg 1 and pg2 about port multiplier testing but no updates)

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Redundant quoting removed.