SATA 6GB/s / SATA III - PCIe Card - Works in LION !

notshy

100 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Just a quick one to say that thanks to a recommendation from lostswede that I now have SATA 6GB/s working on my X58A-UD3R board in OSX Loin !!!!

I'm running a OCZ Vertex3 which should run at up to 500 GB/s. On the Intel SATA II ports on the X58 chipset I was getting around 250 GB/s and now on the PCIe card I'm getting 410 GB/s.

The chipset that you want to look for is "ASM1061"

http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_produ...;cate_index=117

I got my card on eBay from a Hong Kong seller and it arrived after 2 weeks and only cost £15 !

I got slower speeds out of it first time around because I didn't have the card in one of the PCI Express 2.0 slots - I had it in a PCIE_1 because it is a short card.

I can select to boot from the drive in the BIOS and I'm getting very good speeds in OSX.

Note that the card is not a RAID card but just a SATA controller but it does have 4 ports - 2 internal and 2 external. At 400 GB/s it's more than quick enough for me and saved me wanting to buy a Z68 chipset motherboard ..... for now at least !

I hope this helps !

The card currently shows as Unknown controller but I'm seeing if one of the other admins can help make a simple kext to change those aesthetics.

And big thanks to the swede for the heads up !!!!

post-656002-1313055358_thumb.png

post-656002-1313055378_thumb.png

P.P.S.

Here's a link in case you want to view the exact one I ordered/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-PCI-E-SATA-3...#ht_7946wt_1319

p_002.jpg

p_004.jpg

It's just sitting in the bottom most PCIe slot - the slot is much longer than the card but that's because the smaller slots on the X58A-UD3R are only PCI-Express 1.0 not PCI-Express 2.0 hence you don't get the full speed that you could.

As I said, the important thing is the CHIPSET not the specific card but by all means order the same card as me but it's unbranded and from a random seller so you can't guarantee getting the exact same card as me - but as long as it has a ASM1061 then you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool news indeed. Do you know by any chance if true hot swap is working properly with this chipset? If you or anyone else with this card is capable, please try the following:

1) hook a drive up to the card and turn on your machine

2) open system profiler and make a note of the negotiated link speed

3) eject the drive by dragging to trash

4) disconnect the sata data cable to the drive and wait 5 seconds

5) reconnect the sata cable to the drive

Questions:

1) does the drive remount?

2) if yes to above, please check the negotiated link speed, is it the same as in step 2 above?

Thank you!

I have a highpoint card which is suppose to yield 250mbs=500mbs but it only gives me 120 ish. Which slot are you putting your card in? I am not that good with identifying slots, and I am afraid I might have it in the wrong slot.

Without any hardware in your signature it's a bit hard to help. What board do you have ? Can you link to the webpage of the exact model.

My apologies.

This is my board: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-p...spx?pid=3290#ov

And the PCi card I am using is a Highpoint Rocket 620.

Currently I am only getting about 120 MB/s write and 198 Mb/s read. I believe I have it in the proper slot, but I don't know why I am not getting full speeds. Could it be that my controller shows up as unknown in the system identifier?

Hi

Sorry for the previous post - I then saw your signature. From looking at the manual for that board it looks like you've only got one PCI-Express 2.0 port which I'm guessing that you are using that for your Graphics Card. If you are using a PCI-Express 1 port then it will be slower than full SATA III speed.

• 1 month later...
Hi guys,

Just a quick one to say that thanks to a recommendation from lostswede that I now have SATA 6GB/s working on my X58A-UD3R board in OSX Loin !!!!

I'm running a OCZ Vertex3 which should run at up to 500 GB/s. On the Intel SATA II ports on the X58 chipset I was getting around 250 GB/s and now on the PCIe card I'm getting 410 GB/s.

The chipset that you want to look for is "ASM1061"

http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_produ...;cate_index=117

As I said, the important thing is the CHIPSET not the specific card but by all means order the same card as me but it's unbranded and from a random seller so you can't guarantee getting the exact same card as me - but as long as it has a ASM1061 then you should be fine.

After reading this I've got me exactly the same PCI card and also bought a Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB. But I have slow perfomance.

Write speed 160 and read speed 193.

Thats not 500 as it should run that fast!

I have H55M-USB3 board.

Gigabyte GTS450 Graphics

And yes I have the card in a PCIExpress port.

On boot the cards show right and I have a fresh install of Lion on it.

Any suggestions?

Ed

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-p...spx?pid=3444#sp

That says that it is a PCI-Express-x1 port (after using your Graphics card port with your GFX card)

To get full speed you need a PCI-Express-x2 port

Sorry man but I don't think that you can do it on your board without taking your graphics card out.

I'm on a new mobo now! P55-UD6 with 3 PCI-Express ports.

I notice on boot that the card is now seeing Gen 2 but it's slow there allready.

I have now 168 write and 360 read on my new Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB.

Still not the speed I suppose to have?

Any hint?

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought this card, per your recommendation. Is there anything special you did to boot from it?

I'm unable to boot from the drive, it just stalls. But if I boot off my motherboard controller, Lion does recognize the card and the drives connected to it.

What gives?

Thanks!

I just installed the card, connected up my SSD drive and then the SSD was visible as one of the options as a boot drive in the BIOS.

What motherboard do you have? What HD or SSD are you attaching to it? Any other drives? Have you go the jumpers selected properly for internal vs external jumpers?

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Fullquote removed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I put in the card to have more satas on the motherboard because they are all taken up. my system has 2 opticals and 4 HDD's. The card is powering both my esata ports. which are only sata II. thats why I would like to use the port multiplier to power both Esatas and free up one sata III for SSD. would love to free up 2 sata III's but I dont see how. cause I dont think the sata on the Motherboard support port multiplier.

I think that the card is "port multiplier aware" which means that it is capable of working with external enclosures that are configured in some sort of raid setup, 1+ drives within the enclosure. These enclosures will typically only work with eSATA in all raid modes if the SATA controller supports port multiplier. With USB and Firewire this isn't an issue but with SATA connections apparently it is. If you look online at external multi-bay enclosures which support eSATA connections and read the fine print in the manuals you'll find this info. So a raid enclosure set up as JBOB would only see one drive (out of x many that might be in the enclosure) if you connected via eSATA but it would see each drive individually as it should if you used the USB or FW on the same enclosure.

I've ordered this card myself and am waiting for it to arrive so I've been researching a bit and contemplating getting a raid enclosure with at least 2 bays to connect via this card though I also have the option of using my single onboard Marvel eSATA controller which is also port multiplier aware but the 6 Intel controllers on my board aren't.

This is all pretty new to me as well but it's as I understand it. If anyone else has any other experiences with raid setups and eSATA I'd love to hear about it. I got this card to support my new SSD 6GB/s speeds as well but the thought is very appealing to get all the other HDs out of my case and in an external enclosure with transfer speeds of 3GB/s and cut down on the noise, power consumption and heat in my tower.

See this article for further explanation of port multiplier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_multiplier

Dear Hexidecimal,

I'm using a couple of this card in a GA-P35-DS3P because I have 8 HD in software raid (4 X 1+1 1TB HD in Raid 0 and all of them joined in a raid 1 to make one 4TB hd that is my share hd) and one for OSX (lion 10.7.2) and everything work out of the box.

ciao

Sergio

• Like 2

thejekocomputer,

Can you confirm in any way that this card is port multiplier aware in Lion? Does one of your enclosures have a setting for JBOB you could test?

This would really help me out as I'm looking to get a multi bay enclosure soon. Thanks,

CJP2,

I have my HDs connected to the cards and the MB sata ports to make a single volume as a type of raid 10. I don't know if this card is port multiplier as I'm using a single drive for every sata port, but I am a newbie and if I can make some test (non destructive, I'm using this volume for my music and movie) please feel free to teach me What I have to do. I'm quite comfortable with terminal.

thejekocomputer,

Doesn't look like you can help, need an enclosure that will do 2+ drives with JBOB configuration to test.

I aim to do similar to you but to put 2 or 3 large drives with existing OSs and storage partitions in an external box and run them JBOB (where they show up as individual drives) so as to not have to reformat them for RAID or Span (big) and not use a software base RAID to do it.

Still looking, nothing on google or other searches.