[HowTo] Building an overclocked Core2Duo box for OSx86.

bofors

278 posts in this topic

hi guys,

I need help, may BX2-KR w last bios have clock mutiplyer lockd in 9x, this is function the board ou processor (q6600 G0), i try make one samll Oc for FSB 333 but all times i loose boot.

I use OZC DDR@ 800, any help is welcome.

thxs

Great overclocking guide for the Bad Axe 2 here:

D975XBX2 Overclocking

I'm overclocking the Q6600 to 3.0GHz. What you need to remember though is that as you increase the speed of the FSB, the DDR2 gets overclocked as well. This is likely why you cannot boot. You'll need to use the BIOS recovery jumper so that you can reset things. Then, drop the speed of the DDR2 to 667. By dropping the speed to 667MHz, but then overclocking, your DDR2 still has an effective speed of around 800MHz. My settings are below:

Settings used:

FSB: 334

Mem Ref: 266

Mem Freq: 667

The OCZ DDR2 I'm using is set to 4-4-4-15 with voltage of 2.12.

Also, after applying the settings in the BIOS, you need to make sure you do a cold reset - actually switch the power off to the PSU for around 30 seconds. I've found that the D975XBX2 gets confused sometimes and changes made in the BIOS don't always take - especially the RAM frequency.

Best approach is to set your DDR2 frequencies and timings but no change to the FSB yet, then perform the cold boot. Boot into OS X and check that you have the new memory speed. If this is OK, cold boot again and make the FSB changes.

• 2 weeks later...
With the 9221 support seems to be limited to stereo out right now and I suspect that with some work we will get the same with 9274.

Attached is the version of AppleHDA.kext (courtesy of Kiko) that I used to get the 9221 outputing stereo through the blue jack (not the green).

I'm running OS 10.4.8 on a Motion LE1700 and the headphone stereo out has worked since install. Has there been progress in getting sound out of the internal speakers and sound in? Using the SigmaTel STAC9221 card.

Another problem seems to be sending MIDI out through a USB MIDI interface. The interface software installed properly, and it is recognized in the "Audio MIDI Setup", but no MIDI signal is apparent.