[HowTo] Building an overclocked Core2Duo box for OSx86.

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

DaveGee

DaveGee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Thats a great write up. Do you find your system stable, apps not crashing etc?

Rock solid knock wood (or reasonable facsimile thereof)!!

As for some other things people have PM'd me about...

SATA: I can't speak for the 'other 4' (since I never tested them) but all the black ports (first 4?) are working fine...
Audio: at present I only have 2.1 sound so I can't speak for anything else as of yet...
Speed: Speed is really nice - I've not yet jumped into the over-clock game (wanna get a better cooler first)
Graphics: Really great... No surprises (not a huge gamer but if I were I'd think about a more expensive card)

Let's see... I think that about covers it...

Oh lemme run XBench

E6300 (not over-clocked and not running Disk Test)

Results 145.65
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)
Physical RAM 2048 MB
Model ACPI
Drive Type MAXTOR STM3320620AS
CPU Test 96.88
GCD Loop 219.50 11.57 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 105.89 2.52 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 78.05 2.57 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 69.07 12.03 Mops/sec
Thread Test 186.31
Computation 170.21 3.45 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 205.77 8.85 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 144.99
System 132.29
Allocate 108.69 399.16 Kalloc/sec
Fill 151.24 7353.50 MB/sec
Copy 145.67 3008.79 MB/sec
Stream 160.38
Copy 151.54 3129.93 MB/sec
Scale 151.31 3125.92 MB/sec
Add 172.36 3671.70 MB/sec
Triad 168.60 3606.84 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test 124.76
Line 113.75 7.57 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 143.15 42.74 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 137.37 11.20 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 127.05 3.20 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 109.29 6.84 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 133.91
Spinning Squares 133.91 169.88 frames/sec
User Interface Test 319.86
Elements 319.86 1.47 Krefresh/sec

Sure seems mighty respectable to me.... Especially for the price I put this baby together for.... About $750 (I had a 22" LCD already)

Dave

B-Man

B-Man

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I just wanna thank you for this excellent tutorial (best so far, considering my planned Hackintosh Project).
I see you've run Xbench, have you tried GioFX OpenMark for pure Graphics performance?

tidalpassion

tidalpassion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Forget the 945 if you plan to O/C. It is not built for the voltage needed.
945 on Conroe will severely limit you. It is basically a minimal board for using it. If you just want to run a Conroe, fine, but do not expect much more.

I would recomend a 975 setup if you plan on overclocking and using OSX. 965 may be better but the IDE system is flakey (since it is not built in, but rather added) and a lot of unknowns for OSX (883 sound, IDE...). Networking and SATA seem to work fine on the 965 with OSX.

Try not to skimp on boards when you overclock, they often are what will hold you back, and on OSX, you really can't anyhow since only certain thinsg will run.

It all depends on what our individual goals are. I wanted a performance boost with bang for the buck while keeping an eye towards being environmentally friendly. High performance is a mixed blessing if a machine is costly and an energy pig.

Choosing a AS Rock Conroe 945G Conroe DVI motherboard ($75) with an E6300 Core 2 Duo ($185) overclocked from 1.86 to 2.25 GHz has worked well for a general purpose machine that is also used for HDTV viewing (Eye TV Hybrid), video recompression (Visual Hub), and as a PVR. The onboard GMA950 graphics work great for HDTV and having both VGA and DVI outputs is handy. It's not suited for high-end gaming without adding a good graphics card, but in my case that was something to avoid to save energy. With the memory speed raised in step with the base clock going from 266 to 320 MHz, that puts the memory at near (640) 667 Mhz rate, instead of the stock 533. I got 1.8 volt DDR2 667 memory so it runs great without turning up the voltage, and is cool with no heatsink. Memory performance is very good in dual-channel mode (two DIMMs).

Including the TV tuner, but not monitor, the system only uses 93 Watts (actually measured it) with the CPU cores maxed out.

BOINC benchmark (default client, per core)
1798 MIPS floating point
4780 MPIS integer

XBench 1.3 disk excluded, 174.70, OpenMark 672 FPS

Financial summary: Using a 945 based motherboard over a 975x that could overclock higher saved $200. Using the stock CPU cooler saved about $50. Avoiding the need of a video card saved $85++. Since it runs pretty much 24/7 as a PVR, doing bittorrent, and running BOINC etc, the 100 Watts or so saved (by not clocking higher and using a gaming GPU) will save about $360 over three years (based on $1/month for every 10 Watts continuous which is about what added power costs when going over baseline usage). Total savings = $695 (That's more than the cost of the whole system!)

A 975x pushed to handling a 400Mhz base clock (1600 MHz fsb) would have given an added 20% overclock, but is it really worth effectively doubling what the hardware cost (over 3 years) to have it?

I looked at 965 based boards, but by using something later than the ICH7 interface chip or by using certain supplemental chips with those, most of those boards have quite a few more compatibility headaches for both OS X and Linux.

I figure a short time down the road I'll be able to build another machine, with a Intel part based on a the 45 nm process, getting even more performance than aggressive overclocking could give now while still giving me and the environment the advantages of saving energy.

Since a hackintosh is likely to have a shorter compatible-with-latest-OS lifetime, it may make sense to require that the cost be kept to levels justifiable over a shorter lifetime.

alter_mann

alter_mann

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
well if u have the money and u really want to cool down the processor u should consider buying a Peltier
http://store.pcpower...iercooling.html

a good one is worth 150 euros, and u need a dedicated power supply but it will really take the heat of your processor.

Carlos Pombo

Carlos Pombo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
bofors please give me advice
:)
Have built an experimental hackintosh
ASUS A8V-VM
AMD 64 x2 , Etc Lovely working

Found your How to build… fantastic

Decided to build a real HACKINTOSH to work with
I’m photographer that king that work with huge files.. very big from 137 to 482MB running PHOTOSHOP.
Actually working with Win 2003 Server 64bit with 4gb ram and RAID 0 4 HDD,s.
After 15 mins working my system starts slowing down.
Solution after 1 hour working “reboot” and start again… boring

Real Mackintosh with 8GB RAM is out of my budget So …

After reading your How to build… I ordered an Intel D975 XBX2 KR
Planning to buy 4 DDR2 667 2GB each branded TwinMOS (the only 2GB available in my country)
Ordered coolers, power supply, etc., same are like yours.

Graphics I have an ASUS 7600 GS (plane to use it) but I’m considering to buy MSI RADEON X1950PRO 512MB DDR3 PCI-E TVOUT 2XDVI (do not found information if this one works) any suggestion? Want a good one compatible? Please tell me what you think about that.

Finally and the most important to me

CPU

Photoshop uses intensely CPU as well as memory and scratch Raid
Found that CPU AMD Athalon x2 4800+ is good but not enough
For bad axe2 would like the new QUAD but I’m not sure if it is compatible
INTEL Core2 QUAD CORE QX6700 2.66Ghz FSB 1066 8MB CACHE € 999,90

Others options are:
Intel CORE 2 EXTREME X6800 2.93GHZ FSB1066 4MB CACHE € 1.044,90
Intel CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHZ FSB1066 4MB CACHE € 325,00

Can you help me?
Can I use bad axe2 with QX6700 Quad and take advantage of is power with JaS 10.4.8 + Ppf1 ? Or should I use one of the other 2 options?

Please help me choose CPU and give me advice on Graphics Display.

Before quite let me Thank You honestly for your guide [How to …]

with out it I and others was blinder.

Carlos Pombo

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,379 posts
Bump. This is still one of the best threads if you want to build a bleeding edge hackintosh.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
This thread is not dead yet. I will updating it with new pictures from my BadAxe1/2 systems, recommendations and such.

In the mean time, here is a link to Alessandro guide for sound on BadAxe2: http://forum.insanel...showtopic=60295

asap18

asap18

O RLY?

• Donators
  • 1,423 posts
Bofors, I recently built a hackint0sh. I now recommend the Asus P5K-Deluxe as one of the most compatible hack mobos and even made a bash script to correct all nonworking devices.

Even WIFI works :hammer:. Plus its an amazing overclocker and uses the P35 Chipset with the new memory controller.

rivlez

rivlez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
can't get my bad axe 2 working, i have the SATA set to AHCI and after install it doesn't boot to mac os. I'm also connected to the black sata ports on the board. I don't get what is going on? Anyone have any idea please help, its greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
In case anyone is still following this thread...

I have finally upgraded to Leopard (10.5) with iATKOS v 1.0 using EFI emulation.

Notes:

(1) iATKOS installation includes at least one extra step, manual installation of the bootloader by running the "Darwin Boot" script, so make sure you follow the instructions or you will end up with the "blinking cursor" problem.

(2) Apparently, one must use something like Gparted Live to set the "boot" flag on iATKOS partition or you will also end up with the "blinking cursor" problem.

(3) On Bad Axe 1, the version of AppleHDA by Kiko posted in this thread still works for stereo output in Leopard. I have yet to mess with AppleHDA or Leopard on Bad Axe 2.

kieste

kieste

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I have finally upgraded to Leopard (10.5) with iATKOS v 1.0 using EFI emulation.

Hi bofors,
would you suggest using iatkos or did you try kalyway's leopard before?
I got both dvds and I am not quite sure which one to use.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

Hi bofors,
would you suggest using iatkos or did you try kalyway's leopard before?
I got both dvds and I am not quite sure which one to use.

I have not tried Kalyway's, but I am sure it works fine. The only issue is that Kalyway includes OS X modifications and applications that you might not want.

Either way, I recommend using the EFI install option as that should allow us to use the regular 10.5.2+ upgrade from Apple.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,379 posts

(2) Apparently, one must use something like Gparted Live to set the "boot" flag on iATKOS partition or you will also end up with the "blinking cursor" problem.

I suggest Parted Magic instead. It is a lot better at configuring X and it has more tools:

http://distrowatch.c...ion=partedmagic

(3)I have yet to mess with AppleHDA or Leopard on Bad Axe 2.

My how-to still works fine:

http://forum.insanel...o...c=60295&hl=

caenis

caenis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
bofors i have a bad axe 1 that i can't seem to get the audio or network to work? you seem to make a reference to the AppleHDA kext by Kiko, do you have a link or page for that? Also any luck on the ethernet? Your thread has been real cool to sort thru. Thanks.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,379 posts

bofors i have a bad axe 1 that i can't seem to get the audio or network to work? you seem to make a reference to the AppleHDA kext by Kiko, do you have a link or page for that? Also any luck on the ethernet? Your thread has been real cool to sort thru. Thanks.

See if this thread helps:

http://forum.insanel...o...=47196&hl=0

gu3d3s

gu3d3s

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
hi guys,

I need help, may BX2-KR w last bios have clock mutiplyer lockd in 9x, this is function the board ou processor (q6600 G0), i try make one samll Oc for FSB 333 but all times i loose boot.

I use OZC DDR@ 800, any help is welcome.

thxs

nano2nd

nano2nd

Monkey See, Monkey Do

• Retired
  • 190 posts
Great overclocking guide for the Bad Axe 2 here:

D975XBX2 Overclocking

I'm overclocking the Q6600 to 3.0GHz. What you need to remember though is that as you increase the speed of the FSB, the DDR2 gets overclocked as well. This is likely why you cannot boot. You'll need to use the BIOS recovery jumper so that you can reset things. Then, drop the speed of the DDR2 to 667. By dropping the speed to 667MHz, but then overclocking, your DDR2 still has an effective speed of around 800MHz. My settings are below:

Settings used:

FSB: 334
Mem Ref: 266
Mem Freq: 667

The OCZ DDR2 I'm using is set to 4-4-4-15 with voltage of 2.12.

Also, after applying the settings in the BIOS, you need to make sure you do a cold reset - actually switch the power off to the PSU for around 30 seconds. I've found that the D975XBX2 gets confused sometimes and changes made in the BIOS don't always take - especially the RAM frequency.

Best approach is to set your DDR2 frequencies and timings but no change to the FSB yet, then perform the cold boot. Boot into OS X and check that you have the new memory speed. If this is OK, cold boot again and make the FSB changes.

pianimator

pianimator

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

With the 9221 support seems to be limited to stereo out right now and I suspect that with some work we will get the same with 9274.

Attached is the version of AppleHDA.kext (courtesy of Kiko) that I used to get the 9221 outputing stereo through the blue jack (not the green).

I'm running OS 10.4.8 on a Motion LE1700 and the headphone stereo out has worked since install. Has there been progress in getting sound out of the internal speakers and sound in? Using the SigmaTel STAC9221 card.

Another problem seems to be sending MIDI out through a USB MIDI interface. The interface software installed properly, and it is recognized in the "Audio MIDI Setup", but no MIDI signal is apparent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy