[Guide] Install Lion on HP Probook 4530s

jazzyguy

1 post in this topic

I see someone else has a thread reserved for this, but as he isn't finishing it, I am going ahead and writing this.

Feel free to add me on Skype if you need any support (user id= jazzyguy), or PM me me here.

I realize there was a guide on the HCL, but it really did not work well for me. It got me started, and I have almost finished. But I want to have a decent guide for everyone else. I have also updated the HCL. I left the original link at the bottom, but it wasn't super helpful.

As of now, I currently have the following working:

Core i3 CPU 2310m- working fine, vanilla 64 bit kernel

Intel HD3000- Full QE/CI (the trick being having SMBIOS set as a MacbookPro8,1)

Atheros 9285- Fully working

4 Gigs of RAM- fully working

Audio (I believe it is called Intel IDT Codec, not really sure)- Partially working- I have sound, but I can't make it go up or down, and I can't mute it. Any assistance with this would be great. If you get it fully functional, let me know and I will add it here.

Trackpad and keyboard- fully working with gestures

Dvd drive- working, but burning untested

Sleep- Not working, haven't bothered yet, will soon.

Bluetooth- I don't care, have not and will not try. Let me know if you get it working and I will add it here.

My install method was simple, I used a Lion install CD.

Use any method to install Lion, just install the basic system, deselect any extras that might be on there. I will tell you how to install it using the DVD I used, but if you would prefer to install your own way, you can still use my guide, picking up after the installation of the actual system is done.

I personally used the DVD from the torrent that will later be attached to this post. If you use that DVD, give it a LONG time to boot. It took about half an hour for mine to load. Then you need to select your language and hit enter. Next you will need to go to Utilities and select Disk Utility. Format your hard drive (or a partition) of it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then hit Alt and Q and continue with the install. Select your hard drive or partition, wherever you want it to install. Also, select customize, and deselect any language translations that may be installing automatically. Hit install. It will stick at 14 minutes, but it should keep moving, if you wait. Give it an hour, and if it doesn't look like it is moving, (make sure to hit a key on the keyboard or it just stops refreshing the screen) then try again. But it should install fine.

After you have installed Lion (whether using my method or another), you are going to boot it with a boot cd. I will be attaching a boot CD later on today or tomorrow to use.

After it boots complete the install windows. Then when you are at the Desktop, copy over the HP Probook 4530s Folder on to the desktop from your flash drive. Copy the Extra folder from there to the root of your hard drive, which you can access by hitting Alt+Shift+G and typing "/" minus the "" marks. After you have pasted that folder, open the "Other Kexts" folder from the HP Probook 4530s folder. Then run Kext Helper and install all those kexts by dragging them into the window and typing your password. Hit install. Then go Back to the HP Probook 4530s folder and into the PS2 for HP Probook 4530s folder. Install those 2 kexts using Kext Helper. Install that prefpane in /Library/Prefpanes.

Then, run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from the HP Probook 4530s folder, and select under Bootloader the Chimera option, and then under the kexts section, select network, then check the lnx2mac driver. I don't remember the exact name, but that is the one.

It should install the bootloader, and a new window should pop for installing the ethernet. Let it finish, and it will make you restart. You will probably have to force quit Kext Helper b7, but it should let you.

Hopefully, after you reboot, you will be able to be back into Lion with everything working.

Note that after everything works, and you would like to get rid of verbose booting, you may do so by simply going to /Extra and opening com apple.boot.plist and removing -v from under kernel flags. Also, run kext utility to build kext caches, which will help it to boot faster. Please note that FaceTime will not work, this is due to a bug in the boot loader, which according to Tony (from tonymacx86) will be fixed in the next release.

All files will be uploaded later tonight, although the boot cd may take a day for me to get around to making, please note that you can still boot with the Lion install CD, and it will work just fine, boot with -x -v. The only problem is that you have to have the flash drive formatted as a mac format, windows formats will not work.

If you have any way to add to this, please let me know. I will share any credit. Please do not copy and paste this without first getting permission from me.