• Please log in to reply
1037 replies to this topic

mondial

mondial

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Sleep issues solved by upgrading RAM memory to 4GB and using Mirone/Toleda DSDT.aml (adapted to 4GB systems by tivimac). Now i'm back to full functionality! :D

All the best

now I got 10.8.4 working as well, with the sleep-sound issue. Is it solved by tivimac's 4GB dsdt?

theconnactic: so you are on 10.8.5 at your 1201N now? notice your sig :)  thx

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

I'm on 10.8.5 since it's out, on all my hacks. Yeah, from day one, even on the AMD hack. And yeah, i should update my sig, but i'm sooooo lazy :P

I didn't try Tivimac's on 10.8.4: those days i was with the original Toleda-Mirone, because i had only 2GB. Update to 10.8.5! And go for the RestartHDA app, because the "silent wake affair" is yet to be solved.

All the best!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

I just discovered something very nice: if you wait 15-20min, sound will reappear after wake without having to restart AppleHDA using scripts/apps.

All the best!

EDIT: false alarm - it happened only once. :(

kotendaici

kotendaici

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

hi all. im following this thread from SL but this is my first post

i have a  question

anyone feels when we use microsoft word it doesnt work fluid and so laggy?

when i type some word and it appear in one or two second after that 

--------------

i've update to ML 10.8.4

matteo73

matteo73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Hi!

Any news to after wake-up to sound??

with 10.8.4 that was all right. now 10.8.5 when wake-up sound is off, and i must to restart OS..

i've 4 gb ram, 10.8.5 OS

Thanks all 

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

hi all. im following this thread from SL but this is my first post

i have a  question

anyone feels when we use microsoft word it doesnt work fluid and so laggy?

when i type some word and it appear in one or two second after that 

--------------

i've update to ML 10.8.4

I'll install it on my 1201n and test it here. Let's see.

Hi!

Any news to after wake-up to sound??

with 10.8.4 that was all right. now 10.8.5 when wake-up sound is off, and i must to restart OS..

i've 4 gb ram, 10.8.5 OS

Thanks all 

With VoodooHDA, everything will be fine. If you want AppleHDA, you must find and install an app called RestartHDA.app, which restarts the kext and wake the sound up without need to restart the netbook.

All the best!

mediarec

mediarec

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone.
I have an Asus 1201n 2 gb of ram and I have installed Snow Leopard working perfectly fine.
A few days reading this thread I decided to install the Mountain Lion 10.8.3 on mine computer.
It installed perfectly and everything works normally but I notice that going much slower than Snow Leopard.
I did a Geekbench test 3.0 and I get a punctuation of 780 points sooner gave me 1600 points.
I have understood that I can not boot in 32 bit mode because it only works on 64 bit.
The graphic card works very slowly and I can not play fluently High Definition.
I recognize it as a 256 MB Nvidia Gforce 9400M
Someone can tell me to be this speed problem.
What I can do?
I'll have to go back to Snow Leopard?
Thanks in advance.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Hello everyone.
I have an Asus 1201n 2 gb of ram and I have installed Snow Leopard working perfectly fine.
A few days reading this thread I decided to install the Mountain Lion 10.8.3 on mine computer.
It installed perfectly and everything works normally but I notice that going much slower than Snow Leopard.
I did a Geekbench test 3.0 and I get a punctuation of 780 points sooner gave me 1600 points.
I have understood that I can not boot in 32 bit mode because it only works on 64 bit.
The graphic card works very slowly and I can not play fluently High Definition.
I recognize it as a 256 MB Nvidia Gforce 9400M
Someone can tell me to be this speed problem.
What I can do?
I'll have to go back to Snow Leopard?
Thanks in advance.

This is true of these anemic netbook machines, the latest greatest doesn't always work the best with a slow Atom processor. Although the 1201N was one of the best netbooks, even it has it's limitations. I stopped at Lion on mine and that was pushing a bit IMO. I noticed slowness on my desktop machines when I installed ML (Mavericks is even worse) and decided not to take the 1201N in that direction. The performance is acceptable in Lion, but just barely.

In the old days, programmers would streamline their code to make it more efficient. These days with Gigs and Gigs of RAM to play around with, the bloatware coders are having a field day! I made a big mistake updating the main partition to Mavericks on my main system which was running Lion. I wish I could go back.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

I use 10.8.5 with my 1201n (4GB of RAM and over clocked CPU to 2 GHz) and the performance is rather enjoyable. In fact, i can even run Logic X with a lot of tracks open. The way to achieve an acceptable user experience, it seems, is to max the RAM.

All the best!

P.S.: no Mavericks for us yet! But i have a feeling the kernel patcher module will be updated soon, so stay tuned!

P.P.S.: Mavericks was a huge improvement for both my main working machine and my MBP. What are your desktop's specs? In fact, even on my AMD rig the performance results are Mountain Lion>Lion>Snow Leopard, so I think perhaps you're doing something wrong.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

The systems are the same no matter the specs. IOW, I noticed a significant change in user interface speed which normally performed fine under Lion, but they seem slower under Mountain Lion and Mavericks. Just for the record, here are the specs of the two systems I have up on Mavericks now:

GA-P35-DS3L - E8400 (3.0 Ghz) C2D CPU - 2 Gb RAM - 8400GS (256 Mb)

MSI P55-GD80 - i5 750 (2.68 Ghz) quad core CPU - 4 Gb RAM - (3) 9400GT (512 Mb)

I first noticed this when I installed ML on the DS3L. The user interface was sluggish compared with Lion. Now with Mavericks, items which used to pop up instantly take a little time before they appear. For example when I double-click on a hard drive icon, the folder opens, but there is nothing in it for a significant amount of time. 

While performance is naturally better on the more powerful MSI system, I can still see some signs that it is nowhere near what it was under Lion. I think the upgrade from Lion directly to Mavericks is really telling.

No doubt increasing RAM and CPU speed would help Mavericks (my 1201N has 4 Gb RAM), perform better, my point is that given the same specs on the hardware, Lion performs better than Mavericks, as was the OP's point. Beyond OCing the CPU and maxing out the RAM, there is little that can be done to a system like the 1201N to make it run better with ML or Mavericks. 

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

Mosslack, again: it were clean installs or upgrades? Geekbench scores increase gradually each OSX upgrade: that's not my personal judgement, that's documented fact that you can verify in Primatelabs' website. With my desktop, my Geekbench scores hit a 5% increase just by upgrading to 10.9 from 10.8.5 - if you think it's not that much, notice that's the very same increase range i'd get if i kept the current OSX but switch to a next-gen CPU with the same core count. While, specially mobile devices, the eye-candy takes its toll on the GPU, there was not much of a UI-fancyness increase from 10.6-10.8. And remember, the OP complains about a Geekbench score drastic decrease by upgrading the system, not just UI laggyness, and there should be no decrease at all, but the other way around.

All the best!

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Mosslack, again: it were clean installs or upgrades? Geekbench scores increase gradually each OSX upgrade: that's not my personal judgement, that's documented fact that you can verify in Primatelabs' website. With my desktop, my Geekbench scores hit a 5% increase just by upgrading to 10.9 from 10.8.5 - if you think it's not that much, notice that's the very same increase range i'd get if i kept the current OSX but switch to a next-gen CPU with the same core count. While, specially mobile devices, the eye-candy takes its toll on the GPU, there was not much of a UI-fancyness increase from 10.6-10.8. And remember, the OP complains about a Geekbench score drastic decrease by upgrading the system, not just UI laggyness, and there should be no decrease at all, but the other way around.

All the best!

The DS3L was a clean install, the MSI was an update. I understand your point about the Geekbench scores, but I've been using computers since 1980 and I don't need a program to tell when the system is not as responsive as it was. This is very evident on the DS3L as I still have a partition there with Lion on it. It just runs better under Lion than Mavericks. 

We may just have to agree to disagree on this one. I posted my opinion, you posted yours. That is what makes these forums great. Have a nice day.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

Okay! And thank you: have also a nice day!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

Great news!

I've been trying to run Mavericks on my 1201n since it was seeded as a preview, with no success: the kernel patcher module from Chameleon clearly needs to be updated, and since it's not developed by the Chameleon team itself, but by a third party development company (meklort's xZenue LCC), we haven't yet any ETA for this update. I tried the old kernel patcher from meklort, but also met with no success (which was expected, since it shares the same code with the kernel patcher module). So we've been stuck with Mountain Lion for quite a while.

As some of you might know, i'm deeply involved with AMD kernel development - and I'm currently the AMD Development forum moderator - and we managed to boot some AMD machines with a couple of beta kernels. These kernels are quite AMD-specific, and in fact i tried them with my 1201n, but they didn't work. However, one of our leading developers, Andy Vandjick, doesn't have an AMD machine, so he has been trying to make his patches as much CPU-agnostic as possible, and indeed his old AMD kernels for Mountain Lion and  Snow Leopard also included support for legacy Intel hardware. Last week, he adapted his patch set for Mavericks, and since he didn't install the necessary new Xcode, i have to build the binaries for him. The resultant kernel didn't work, but brought relevant insights for the current beta kernels for AMD.

Well, knowing Andy's history of enabling legacy Intel support for his kernels, and also knowing he has been using essentially the same base patch set across OSX iterations, i decided to experiment with his kernel, even a little skeptical - since it didn't met its goals, that is, boot on AMD. Then, today, for my greatest surprise, after a few attempts, it worked, and i manage to install mavericks on my 1201n!

I didn't do many things with my Mavericks partition since then, and i expect all iCloud-based services not to be working, since that's the rule with kernels compiled from the XNU sources, but hey!, that's a real deal! Hope you all try it! Here's our kernel: Attached File  atom_kernel.zip   3.58MB   526 downloads

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

A few screenshots:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 3.12.03 PM.png   75.66KB   11 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 3.12.27 PM.png   39.52KB   5 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 3.12.58 PM.png   73.31KB   5 downloads

One thing i already can tell you all for sure: Mavericks is far far far more responsive than any other system i ever tried on the 1201n. I'll pay attention to the battery life and report later. I confess that i'm very tempted to upgrade my main partition to Mavericks too. The main obstacle is that, since it runs with a compiled kernel, iCloud services won't work, and i really need them. Hoping for a patcher module solution for the vanilla kernel soon.

P.S.: talking about battery life, look how cool: Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 3.30.07 PM.png   27.96KB   5 downloads

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

Really loving enhanced dictation on my 1201n! This alone is worth for the upgrade.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

Report 1: battery life appears to have had a 20% increase - good! The GB2 benchmark gains were marginal, and my 1201n still scores around 1800. On the downside, sound now doesn't wake from sleep even using the RestartHDA script, and bluetooth appears to suffer the same issue. Both use Mountain Lion kexts, so proper Mavericks drivers should make things better. Startup time's a pain: 150 seconds or more - i think it's more a limitation of the kernel, since Andy's amd_kernel for Mountain Lion, which uses the same patch set, also used to take a while to boot. On the other hand, shutdown/reboot time is almost instantaneous, and that's a huge improvement from Mountain Lion.

All the best!

.venice.

.venice.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I'll be brief: great news! :)

As I rely heavily on iCloud services I'll wait for Andy to come up with some fixes :)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,815 posts

I'll be brief: great news! :)

As I rely heavily on iCloud services I'll wait for Andy to come up with some fixes :)

It's not up to Andy to solve this: regardless of what he does, no compiled kernel will ever be able to enable iCloud, because the XNU sources released by Apple don't include the necessary resources for it, which is quite understandable. We have to wait for Meklort and Cosmo1t (xZenue LCC, https://xzenue.com) to update their kernel patcher module for Chameleon. 

All the best!

P.S.: we can always file a bug for the kernel patcher module, here http://public.xzenue...&resolution=---

.venice.

.venice.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

It's not up to Andy to solve this: regardless of what he does, no compiled kernel will ever be able to enable iCloud, because the XNU sources released by Apple don't include the necessary resources for it, which is quite understandable. We have to wait for Meklort and Cosmo1t (xZenue LCC, https://xzenue.com) to update their kernel patcher module for Chameleon. 

All the best!

P.S.: we can always file a bug for the kernel patcher module, here http://public.xzenue...&resolution=---

Ah yes. Focused so hard on the paragraph about Andy's work that I completely forgot about the kernel patcher. I'll patiently wait then for the fruit of their labour towards osx community :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy