• Please log in to reply
1050 replies to this topic

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi raynn, i tried installing chameleon included in your zip file but it just reboots, even if i try to use mach_kernel_atom -f -v.

if i start to boot from the usb stick and use the flag mach_kernel_atom -f -v i can boot to Mountain Lion. i still dont have keyboard and trackpad working. which kexts can someone recommend? thanks again for the patience.

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

hi raynn, i tried installing chameleon included in your zip file but it just reboots, even if i try to use mach_kernel_atom -f -v.

if i start to boot from the usb stick and use the flag mach_kernel_atom -f -v i can boot to Mountain Lion. i still dont have keyboard and trackpad working. which kexts can someone recommend? thanks again for the patience.

If I recall correctly, I didn't use the VoodooPS driver for keyboard and trackpad. I got them working by using the option in the Chameleon installer.

What is the difference between the Extra folder on your installer USB disk and your HDD? Perhaps copy the Extra folder from USB to HDD (backup first) and see what happens.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi i tried editing the plist but it still reboots if i dont use the usb stick to boot ML. what is so special about the usb stick that the install works but if i just try to boot from the HDD it keeps on rebooting? any other bootloaders i can try? thanks

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi Raynn, i finally got it to work. i could not do it in 10.8 so what i did is update to 10.8.2 then used mtek's file to update and Eureka it finally worked. after 4 days of struggle from trying to install OS X Lion then OS X ML finally i got it to work. thanks to You and Mtek, i will write my steps just to have another variant of the instructions just incase someone has the same problem as i do. thanks again!!

hi Everyone, just want to share how I was able to install ML on my 1201N. BIG thanks to Raynn and Mtek for helping me with the install and for everyone who worked so hard to make ML work for the 1201N!
my specs:
4gb ram
120gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

The biggest problem i encountered was when trying to install ML, the screen goes completely black and the usb stick just stalls. I was able to make it work using Raynn's files.

I was only able to boot from the USB stick on 10.8.0, so what i did was install the 10.8.2 combo update and then use Mtek's files to complete the installation.

Everything works right now except for the sound on netflix. ICloud and facetime works. below is my install notes:

Asus 1201N Mountain Lion 10.8 Install and 10.8.2 update

1. Use Disk Utility and format USB Stick (8gb min) as MBR Partition Table, Mac OS Journaled, call it USB (use the tutorial for tonyMacX86 ###### 1.5.3 to create the usb install disk).
2. Copy Raynn's files to the root of the usb disk.
3. Rename mach_kernel_atom.10_8_0 to mach_kernel_atom.
4. Boot to the USB disk using -x - v boot flags (press ESC on startup to get to boot options).
5. Install ML as usual.
6. After ML Installation, reboot using the USB Stick still, use terminal to copy the mach_kernel_atom to the root of the HDD and reboot.
7. If you have the same problem as i did wherein the netbook just reboots when trying to boot from the hard drive, use the USB stick to boot to the HDD using mach_kernel_atom -f -v boot flags.
8. Once you are able to boot to ML, finish setting it up then install 10.8.2 combo update BUT DO NOT RESTART yet.
9. use Mtek's files:
- replace the 10.8 version of the mach_kernel_atom to the 10.8.2 version.
- replace the kexts on Extra\Extension
- install Chameleon_2.1svn_r1820_trunk_10.8.pkg
10. run kext wizard and repair disk permission on disk utility.
11. reboot and enjoy.

Raynn's fiels are on post post#723 (page 37)
Mtek's files are on post #638 (page 32)

hopefully this helps someone else.
thanks

BTW do you have to install the CUDA driver found in this topic? it was used for Lion but just wondering if it is needed with ML?

BTW do you have to install the CUDA driver found in this topic? it was used for Lion but just wondering if it is needed with ML?

also how do you fix the bluetooth hotkey (Fn + F2), it does not seem to work anymore, bluetooth devices gets detected but i want to be able to turn bluetooth on and off.

thanks

BTW do you have to install the CUDA driver found in this topic? it was used for Lion but just wondering if it is needed with ML? youtube is abit sluggish.

also how do you fix the bluetooth hotkey (Fn + F2), it does not seem to work anymore, bluetooth devices gets detected but i want to be able to turn bluetooth on and off.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
-Installed the CUDA drivers, not sure what they did but youtube is still sluggish. playing movies though is fine.

-Netflix Video is fine but audio does not work with internal speakers. using bluetooth headset works but the sound is delayed compared to video.

-Pandora plays fine.

ok a few more function keys not working on ML, these were working fine on Lion 10.7.5:

(Fn + F2) toggle bluetooth
(Fn + F7) toggle main screen off/on
(Fn + F8) toggle extended monitor/ clone monitor screen
(Fn + F9) not sure what this is.

any kexts to fix this ones? thanks

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Glad you got it all working.

Regarding Bluetooth - there was talk earlier on in this thread that the Bluetooth kext wasn't made specifically for the 1201n. Perhaps adding the PCI ID string into the kext and reinstalling it would fix this issue. I don't use Bluetooth, so I haven't attempted this.

A few questions for you so that maybe I can finally figure out why Facetime/iCloud/iMessage isn't working for me:

1. Can you also confirm that iMessage is working?
2. Did you use my smbios.plist and DSDT.aml file?
3. What does your Hardware UUID look like?
4. Does Ethernet always show connected even when no cable is connected?
5. Are you dual booting with Windows?

Thanks.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Hi raynn,
The Bluetooth works it's just the toggle switch (Fn + F2) that doesn't work along with Fn+ F6 F7 F8 toggles for the screen mode. They were working fine on Lion.

1. IMessage was working even on 10.8 and FT and IC.
2. I thought I was using your smbios and dsdt, I'll post then tonight when I get home.
3.where do I check the UUID?
4. I'll test the Ethernet tonight, I have the same problem on my asus 1005hab I can't connect via Ethernet it gives me the wrong ip address.
5. No I only use ML not dual booting.

I'll let u know when I get home. Tnx

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi raynn,

1. just checked again iMessage, iCloud and FaceTime works.
2. i attached the dsdt and smbios file below.
3. i dont know how to check UUID.
4. we have the same problem, it does say connected even though it is disconnected, if i do connect the ethernet cable, it gives me the wrong ip address. :(

do you see youtube video being sluggish? and playing chess even though it animates it seems sluggish too. thanks

Attached Files

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the info. My DSDT and smbios files are identical.

To check hardware UUID, go to Apple -> About this Mac -> More Info -> System Report.

With Ethernet, I find that it only works when I have the cable attached prior to booting.

Higher definition Youtube videos are a little sluggish (you can see noticable jumps and frame drops), however, it's tolerable.

My hardware is same as yours - 4GB, SSD, 667 bus speed.

Regarding Bluetooth, the kext will enable bluetooth, but as far as I know, there isn't any way to disable it other than completely disabling it in the BIOS (which I have done).

I wonder if dual booting affects the iServices from working... hmm...

If anyone else out there has a working iServices configuration and is dual booting, please let me know.

By the way, what's your battery life like? I'm getting about 2 hours from a full charge. Much longer in Windows 7.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi raynn,

i pm you about my UUID.

I'm bummed a little bit with ML, even though i only ran Lion 10.7.5 for about a day, everything works including disabling and enabling the FN keys for bluetooth, and screen toggle mode F7 F8 F9. the sound and brightness works fine aswell. the only thing i noticed was there was some noise when i connected it to the tv via hdmi. the noise dissappeared on ML which was the plus side.

so just to make sure, when you checked the smbiost and dsdt, they are identical to yours right? I dont know how those works and totally dependent on wizards like you :) i can see my ram at 4gb when check about this mac.

what will happen if my dsdt is for 2gb and my system has 4gb? will it even booth? my geek bench (64bit) score right now is about 1825 in ML 10.8.2, it was 1835 on Lion 10.7.5.

In Lion, i did not see any sluggishness in youtube and netflix sound was fine too.

im wondering if the kexts for Lion can be used for ML? like copy and replace them? im just guessing ofcourse.

im using the 9 cell battery and it gives me about 4 hours give or take. i never clocked it when it was on windows, i bought this used and wiped out the drive the second i got it.

so you cannot access icloud, FaceTime or imessage at all? i used your instructions and files on 10.8 and even though i booted from the usb at the initial setup, i instantly was able to connect to icloud when it asked me. the wierd thing was on Lion i was able to access icloud after i used a different chameleon boot loader. but i had no success with FaceTime though.

fyi, the only way i was able to boot to my hdd is by using mtek's version of chameleon. if i used the one you have, my hard drive just keeps on rebooting. i am not sure if that will fix your icloud problem if you try to use a different chameleon bootloader.

when i receive my 32gb usb stick by the end of the week, i will Clone my drive and will try to reload Lion and see which one performs better. i really like ML especially for all the pain i have to go through getting it to work, but it seems to run a tad slower than when it was on lion. trying to do some coding on xcode but using the simulator retina mode is still slow, i was hoping it was going to be snappy but i guess that's all it can do. keep me posted thanks.

update: i did try connecting the ethernet cable and rebooting. the ethernet port does work if you connect it before booting.

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
If 10.7.5 works so much better, perhaps I should just use that....
10.8 is nice, just seems sooo... unpolished on the 1201N - so many small issues.

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Update:

Through joint troubleshooting with mick0uziel, we have figured out how to fix the iCloud, iMessage, Facetime issue for me.

My original hunch was correct that my hardware UUID looked oddly invalid. (It looked like 00000000-0000-1000-8000-1736A7154B12).
The solution was to 'correct' my hardware UUID. I did this by adding SystemID in org.chameleon.Boot.plist and assigning it a 'valid looking', correctly formatted string (like 1749BC22-8103-0189-1936-11F8264D387C).

Rebooted, and all is good.

I have no idea why I'm the only person with a strange looking UUID, but my hunch is my disk dual-booting layout.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

-Installed the CUDA drivers, not sure what they did but youtube is still sluggish. playing movies though is fine.

-Netflix Video is fine but audio does not work with internal speakers. using bluetooth headset works but the sound is delayed compared to video.

-Pandora plays fine.

ok a few more function keys not working on ML, these were working fine on Lion 10.7.5:

(Fn + F2) toggle bluetooth
(Fn + F7) toggle main screen off/on
(Fn + F8) toggle extended monitor/ clone monitor screen
(Fn + F9) not sure what this is.

any kexts to fix this ones? thanks

Alrighty - ignoring my real work to tackle a few of the 1201N issues.

- Youtube: Videos play fine, including 1080p videos Some 1080p videos are okay, some are slower. It depends on the video.

- Flash Video Audio: Sometimes, audio is broken, or is missing. Reinstall the three audio kexts attached below. This fixes all audio issues.

- Netflix: Audio fixed using same kexts below Further testing done - Netflix audio is still problematic. Seems to work sometimes after waking up, or sometimes after changing outputs (speaker/headset). Can't seem to find a way to make it work consistently.

- Bluetooth: I modified the bluetooth kext to allow turning bluetooth on and off.

- Function Keys: My keys only work for audio up/down/mute, brightness up/down. Honestly, that's all I need it to do. I have no idea how to go about getting the hot function keys to work.

I installed all kexts using Kext Wizard to /S/L/E and rebuilding cache afterwards.

Now.. if only if we can fix this annoying ethernet issue.

Update: Fixed ethernet. Fully working now (cable insert, removal, sleep)

1. Remove AtherosL1CEthernet.kext.
2. Install the attached ALXEthernet.kext. Rebuild cache/permissions, reboot. Presto!

Attached Files

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Great can't wait to test it tonight. Thanks a lot!

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Unfortunately, seems like Netflix audio is still problematic upon further testing. I'll try to crack this one later tonight.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Did you do anything special to fix YouTube video or was your YouTube fine even before? I'm wondering why YouTube video struggles and Netflix does not(although no audio). And streaming other videos is fine. Thanks

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
thanks for the BT toggle, netflix audio still a no go. if i use my bluetooth headset i can hear audio but it is not sync with the video, the audio is delayed youtube is still sluggish:(

sy6sy2

sy6sy2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@Raynn

Thanks you very much for the ethernet kext
With this kext I can keep the ethernet work after wake up the 1201N

Sorry for my bad english

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
so I reverted back to Lion, it just seems for my case Lion is snappier than ML although ML is cool. ICloud and MAS works fine but Facetime is not working, i cannot log in , the wheel just keeps on spinning until it times out. I tried biirds fix but that did not work for me. any help is appreciated. thanks

rvg

rvg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I have been long using your work and I would like to thank you all.

Last weekend i decided to install an ssd, it was already upgraded to 4gb ram an dell's wifi card. I also installed 336 bios mod.

I decided to give it a tray with ML (rayn's thanks for your resum it fully worked), but I rather pref SL, i tested old thread metoth but i hangs on pci root uid not found or nvidia 9400 info.

can anyone point me? I tried without ahci injector but as i remember it turned in KP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy