• Please log in to reply
1037 replies to this topic

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi all, first of all thanks a lot for the effort in hackintoshing the 1201N, i got mine running in OS X Lion 10.7.3, all working except for FaceTime. icloud and MAS works fine.

Can someone show me the link to what is needed to update to 10.7.4 or 10.7.5? i was reading through this topic and i get confused on what to do to update to 10.7.4 or higher. Are there some kexts or kernel that i have to update?

On a more preferred request, i tried installing Mountain Lion but i get stuck with [PCI Configuration begin], i tried the npci=0x2000 and some other flags -x -f but to no avail. here is what i did, please tell me where im going wrong.

Asus 1201N specs:
4gb ram
128gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
updated Bios overclocked to 667mhz
running LION 10.7.3

procedure to ML:
1. downloaded ###### 1.5.3 from tonymacX86 and created the usb stick 8gb sandisk glide.
2. downloaded the 10.8 kernel and extra files from this topic (If you can link me to the correct one, that would be great, i found a few and not sure which ones are the most compatible, i think i even mix-matched and still nothing worked).
3. showed hidden files using terminal.
4. renamed the original ML mach_kernel to something else (e.g mach_kernel_1206)
5. copied the mach_kernel_atom and renamed it to mach_kernel and placed it to the root of the usb.
after doing this it did boot passed the apple logo but got stuck at something I dont remember where anymore.
6. copied mach_atom_kernel to the root of the usb.
7. I replaced the original Extra folder with the downloaded Extra folder from this topic.
after doing this, i got to the [PCI configuration begin] and stuck there ever since.

any suggestions is appreciated, I really want to see ML running on my 1201N. I'll post my procedure if i get it running.

fyi my geek bench (64-bit) score is 1801. Since im a noob, how can i double check if im running 64 bit mode? i dont even know.

happy thanksgiving everyone!

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

hi i tried it again, recreated the usb installer. i get further than the [PCI Configuration begin]. the problem is after awhile the screen goes black and the usb installer seems to just hang. not sure where it hangs since the screen goes black.

:(

have you experienced this at all?

if i dont use the -x, i get "still waiting for root device problem".

if i use npci = 0x2000 or 0x3000 or -f i get "No interval found . Using 80000000"

do you have keyboard and mouse plugged in?

any other flags i can use?

without -v and only using -x, i get the apple logo with spinning logo and that like No passing traffic sign looking icon.

thanks again

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
It seems like every installation method has some quirks. Not many responses to this thread anymore - simple questions I had posted have gone unanswered for a while.

I will post my installation method (as much as I can remember of it), but know that even though I can get almost everything working, it is impossible for me to get iCloud, iMessage, and Facetime to work. So if you value these things (as I do), you may want to try an alternative install method.

1. I use the App Store version of 10.8 as my base (when I bought it, 10.8 was the latest - I do not know how using a later installer would affect things).
2. Create a USB installer using the 10.8 installer.
3. Install Chameleon to the USB Installer.
4. Use the Extra folder from my attached zip file. The DSDT file is ONLY for 4GB RAM.
5. Set your drive to AHCI mode in BIOS
6. Boot to USB installer using -x -v
7. You should be able to see the installer. Install like you normally would, deselecting any optional components. (I am dual booting, so my process is more involved)
8. After installation is successful, your 1201n will reboot.
9. Boot into USB installer again.
10. Open Terminal, copy the attached 10.8.0 Atom kernel to your drive.
11. Reboot
12. Boot to your drive - make sure you are booting to the Atom kernel. Also use -x -f -v boot flags.
13. You should be able to boot into your installation of OSX.

Once you have a bootable installation, tackle all nonworking components one at a time, starting with keyboard and trackpad. You'll likely need a USB mouse and keyboard if you do anything wrong.

Update to 10.8.2 when you have all hardware working. Re-install your kexts after 10.8.2 install but before reboot.

Good luck.

(If anyone wants to give me a hand, I am still looking for feedback on these two questions:

1. My Hardware UUID has a lot of zeros. This is not the case on my previous hackintosh (Mini-9) nor my Apple iMac. Looking through some posts here, it appears as if other people have more 'valid looking' hardware UUIDs. I know hardware UUID can be set in smbios.plist, but I'm not sure what the proper way of doing it is.

2. Ethernet always show connected even when no cable is connected, but with a invalid IP (169.x.x.x). I think this is what is prevent the iServices from working on my 1201n. Is everyone else experiencing this oddity with their 1201n's ethernet settings? As far as I know, there is only one kext for the builtin ethernet.

Any help appreciated.)

Attached Files

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi Raynn, thanks for the reply. which one is the 10.8 installer, maybe this is my problem? i was using UB 1.5.3 to create the installer usb. i will try to find that installer but if you dont mind posting the link to that installer, i really appreciate it. Not sure if it will work for ML, but for Lion 10.7.4 i used the updated chamelion i also found in this forum (attached) and after i installed it, my icloud started working. MAS always worked for me. but facetime till now does not work for me on Lion 10.7.4.

anyone tried Lion 10.7.5? i contemplating if the procedure of rolling back IOStorageFamily.kext will work for it too? thanks

Attached Files

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

hi Raynn, thanks for the reply. which one is the 10.8 installer, maybe this is my problem? i was using UB 1.5.3 to create the installer usb. i will try to find that installer but if you dont mind posting the link to that installer, i really appreciate it. Not sure if it will work for ML, but for Lion 10.7.4 i used the updated chamelion i also found in this forum (attached) and after i installed it, my icloud started working. MAS always worked for me. but facetime till now does not work for me on Lion 10.7.4.

anyone tried Lion 10.7.5? i contemplating if the procedure of rolling back IOStorageFamily.kext will work for it too? thanks

Hello. I bought Mountain Lion 10.8 when it came out (in addition to my few hackintoshes, I also own a genuine iMac).
The 10.8 installer is the one purchased from the App Store.
(The instructions I followed were similar to this: http://mac-how-to.wo...n-lion-0138303/)

I'm sure you can find official, unmodified installers on other websites.

I haven't tried 10.7.5 but every update I've done had been trouble free as long as you use the corresponding kernel, and roll back all custom kexts.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
ok, i just download myhack and will see if this will work, if not i will try the link you posted. Do you know the best way to create a clone backup to restore Lion if i messed up updating to 10.7.5? will carbon copy cloner work? thanks

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
raynn, tried following the link but i still cant get to the install screen. :( will try to find some other way i guess. thanks

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

ok, i just download myhack and will see if this will work, if not i will try the link you posted. Do you know the best way to create a clone backup to restore Lion if i messed up updating to 10.7.5? will carbon copy cloner work? thanks

Carbon Copy Cloner will work, however, you cannot do a restore from scratch.
You must do an install first, then restore from your Carbon Copy Cloner backup.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi, just did the Lion 10.7.5 combo update and it works. And as mosslack and mtek posted, all i did was rollback IOStorageFamily.kext, AppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext. Just an fyi if anyone wants to update to 10.7.5. Did a final update for safari and that is it for Lion. I am getting a geekbench score of 1835.

Although my ultimate goal of installing ML still eludes me. but for now this will do.

thanks.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hmm, i never tried netflix before in my 1201N, video is fine but i dont get any audio. does anyone have the same experience with Lion or ML? i installed the latest silverlight but no dice. pandora and youtube are fine. thanks

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
still trying to install ML and just about ready to give up. anybody have a tip on how to prevent the black screen from happening when booting the installer? i get passed the [pci configuration begin] then when it shows something like fan throttle something it goes black

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

still trying to install ML and just about ready to give up. anybody have a tip on how to prevent the black screen from happening when booting the installer? i get passed the [pci configuration begin] then when it shows something like fan throttle something it goes black

Have you tried my Extra folder?

Regarding Netflix - just tried it. Same issue. No audio.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi raynn, yes i did but just to be clear, probably i did it wrong.
1. do i copy the extra folder to the root of the usb stick.
2. do i rename the mach_kernel_atom.10_8_0 to mach_kernel or mach_kernel_atom or just leave it as is on the root of the usb stick?

thanks

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi Raynn, ok i tried it again and got it to install. after the install i booted back to the usb and copied mach_kernel_atom to the root of the hard drive, is that correct? because when i tried to boot i only get the blinking cursor on boot. i messed up the usb disk because i tried installing chameleon and now i cant boot to the usb stick either it keeps on rebooting.

or do i rename the mach_kernel_atom to mach_kernel on the root of the hard drive? i'll try that next when i finish recreating the usb stick.

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

hi Raynn, ok i tried it again and got it to install. after the install i booted back to the usb and copied mach_kernel_atom to the root of the hard drive, is that correct? because when i tried to boot i only get the blinking cursor on boot. i messed up the usb disk because i tried installing chameleon and now i cant boot to the usb stick either it keeps on rebooting.

or do i rename the mach_kernel_atom to mach_kernel on the root of the hard drive? i'll try that next when i finish recreating the usb stick.

Yes, either rename it to mach_kernel, or at Chameleon's boot prompt, enter the custom kernel name

For example, if you are leaving it as mach_kernel_atom, at prompt enter:

mach_kernel_atom -f -v

Good luck.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi, reinstalling ML again
-i formatted the HDD to GUID and journaled extended.
what happened after the installation is when i tried to reboot on the HDD with the flags, it just keeps on rebooting.
at one point in constant tries of rebooting, i booted to the usb disk but to my surprise, i made it to the installed drive, i copied all your files to the root of the HDD (mach_kernel_atom, Extra Folder, chameleon, kext wizard). i installed chameleon wizard to the hdd and repaired permissions using kext wizard but nothing helped to try and boot to the hard drive.

please tell me if i am doing something wrong but this is what i did:
- copy your files (extra folder, mach_kernel_atom, kext wizard, chameleon wizard) directly to the HDD.
-install chameleon wizard to the HDD.
-repair using kext wizard
-reboot without the usb stick

thanks

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

hi, reinstalling ML again
-i formatted the HDD to GUID and journaled extended.
what happened after the installation is when i tried to reboot on the HDD with the flags, it just keeps on rebooting.
at one point in constant tries of rebooting, i booted to the usb disk but to my surprise, i made it to the installed drive, i copied all your files to the root of the HDD (mach_kernel_atom, Extra Folder, chameleon, kext wizard). i installed chameleon wizard to the hdd and repaired permissions using kext wizard but nothing helped to try and boot to the hard drive.

please tell me if i am doing something wrong but this is what i did:
- copy your files (extra folder, mach_kernel_atom, kext wizard, chameleon wizard) directly to the HDD.
-install chameleon wizard to the HDD.
-repair using kext wizard
-reboot without the usb stick

thanks

Yes, this is correct. What happens after you install Chameleon to your HDD? Are you able to boot normally now? If not, replace your org.chameleon.boot.plist with the one I uploaded.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi raynn, im redoing it again, i could not boot to the installed hdd it keeps on rebooting. isnt the org.chameleon.boot.plist in the extra folder you provided?? i'll copy them over again real carefully. will post my result thanks.

mick0uziel

mick0uziel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
hi raynn, i got it booting using mach_kernel_atom -f -v. do i use the chameleon you included? thanks

raynn

raynn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

hi raynn, i got it booting using mach_kernel_atom -f -v. do i use the chameleon you included? thanks

Yes. In org.chameleon.boot.plist, make sure the 'kernel' parameter matches the name of your kernel.
That is:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel_atom</string>

Also, if you're going to use my plist, remove:

<string>Yes</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000180101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

That is specific for my hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy