1037 replies to this topic

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ASUS 1201N Mac OS X Lion Installation guide

MANY THANKS TO nesseau for installation guide!!!

This guide was made using mosslac, VMonHeros, TiGuy82, teateam, nesseau and my ;) guide

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 v1.1 x86_64 and i386 Update 4.0 (FULL INSTALL & UPDATE FORM ANY VERSION)

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1719643

CHANGELOG:

version 1.4

• added ASUS 1201N Mac OS X Lion Boot Maker
version 1.3

• added full installation guide, snow leopard is no longer required
  • new files package at the bottom of the post (thx nesseau)
version 1.2

• replaced all ApplePS2 kexts with VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • PCEFI 10.6 Lion+Snow is no longer required
version 1.1

• updated package with dsdt files for 4gb, 3gb and 2gb
version 1.0

• 64bit working (used NullCPUPowerManagement.kext)
READ FIRST!!!!!!

Requirements

• usb keyboard and mouse
  • 45 minutes or less
  • backup all of your data!!!!
Most recent package version at the bottom of the post

*Things that aren't working *

• sleep in 64bit and 32bit if using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • boot in 64bit if NOT using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • multi-touch gestures (only two finger scrolling is working, tap to click and two fingers for secondary click only if using chameleon 1203) thx nesseau for info
  • facetime (server registration problems)
  • bluetooth ghosts
  • native wifi (WLAN can be fixed with Dell 1510 card)

------------------FULL INSTALLATION or UPDATE FROM 10.6.8 v1.1 x86_64 or i386 to Mac OS X Lion------------------------------

Pre installation steps:

Step 1 - Download Mac OS X Lion through the Mac App Store (~4GB)
Step 2 - Navigate to your application folder and right click on the OS X Lion installation file and choose ‘Show Package Contents’
Step 3 - Navigate to the ‘SharedSupport’ folder and find ‘InstallESD.dmg’
Step 4 - Mount InstallESD.dmg
Step 5 - (OPTIONAL) Open up Terminal and run the following command : (show hidden files)

Show hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Hide files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
Installation Guide

Step 1 - Restore BaseSystem.dmg to a usb guid formated usb key

Step 2 - Rename usb key to "Installer"

Step 3 - Mount the usb key

Step 4 - Delete packages link inside /System/Installation

Step 5 - Copy Packages folder from InstallESD.dmg to usb key inside /System/Installation/

Step 6 - Copy Extra folder to the root of the usb key and substitute the correct dsdt.aml file for your installed memory size in the /Extra folder

Step 6a - If you want to update your Snow Leopard, Copy Extra folder to the root of the usb key and substitute the correct dsdt.aml file for your installed memory size in the /Extra folder AND to the root of Hard Drive, if not skip this step

Step 7 - Copy mach_kernel_atom to the root of usb key

Step 7b - If you want to update your Snow Leopard Copy mach_kernel_atom to the root of usb key AND to the root of Hard Drive if not skip this step

Step 8 - Install Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1203 to the usb key using chamelon wizard app(if you have a problem with chameleon installation to usb key, unmount all images re-enter usb key and try again or if installer skip "destination select" just choose chameleon and bootcamp theme click next and now you have an option to Change Install Location...)

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=257464

Step 9 - Replace files inside installation and library directories using Lion_OSInstall_GM.tar.bz2

Step 10 - Reboot (If you want to update Snow Leopard you don't need to launch Disk Utility and you can skip step 12 and step 13)

Step 11 - Boot to new prepared usb key and choose Disk Utility

Step 12 - Format your hard drive or create a new partition

Step 13 - Open up Terminal and run the following command :

cp /Volumes/YourUSBdriveName/mach_kernel_atom /Volumes/YourHarddriveName

cp -R /Volumes/YourUSBdriveName/Extra /Volumes/YourHarddriveName
Step 14 - Install Lion (45min or less) there is no customize options.

Step 15 - When installation finished reboot.

Step 16 - Boot to Mac OS X Lion

Step 17- Plug and unplug a usb keyboard when asking

Step 18 - Install Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1203 to your hard drive

Step 19 - Launch Terminal

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel_atom
Step 20 - Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility

Step 21 - Reboot

Step 22 - Enjoy ;)

----------------------OPTIONAL-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUND: To get sound working, drag the AppleHDA.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Next drag the IOAudioFamily.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Restart once these two kext have been installed.

ETHERNET: To enable the onboard ethernet connector, drag the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext to the Kext Utility icon to install it. Reboot.

-----------------------FILES------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New files provided by nesseau

http://www.mediafire...fz993wdhtv9p9l3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASUS Mac OS X Lion Boot Maker v1.0.0 (Final Release)

If you decided to use this tool you can begin yhis guide from step 11.

ASUS 1201N Mac OS X Lion Boot Maker Installation Guide

REQUIREMENTS:

1. New prepared GUID formatted USB DRIVE (min 8 GB) with volume name “Installer_Lion
2. Original copy of Mac OS X Lion “Install Mac OS X Lion.app” located in Your /Applications/ folder
3. 15-30 minutes to prepare USB (depends on USB Drive speed)
4. THIS IS NOT A POSTINSTALL TOOL!

HOW TO:

1. Run ASUS 1201N Mac OS X Lion Boot Maker
2. Customize your installation or use Standard Install
3. During installation do not unmount any images
4. Installation will take approximately 15-30 minutes
5. Enjoy!

P.S.

Thanks to nesseau and TiGuy82 for testing !!!!

If you will find some bugs please do not post them on forum just pm me!!!

POSTINSTALL Tool coming soon!!!

http://www.mediafire...9oimavws6mg1jrn

TiGuy82

TiGuy82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I really want to thank you to keep MacOS live on 1201n :D

I promise to test it when I have time. I hope to have a tutorial how to use the Mac OS Lion Developer DVD :D

Why don't you put the another tutorial here?

Regards
TiGuy82

Loureiro

Loureiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
EDIT: files missing :D

installing lion :D

mondial

mondial

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
needed an usb-keyboard for installing - trackpad and keyboard haven't been detected ...
installation was searching many minutes for that devices but nothing happened, so I plugged the usbkb in and installation started ..

b.t.w installation: the "last minute" and "less than one minute" take about 20 minutes :)

Now made a new install of crazyjuice's brandnew LION guide. Just installing the additional kexts for lan & sound.
All works fine (now in 32bit mode).

While I was installing, the new ASUS-Installer has gone online!!!!
Q: where can I now configure or easy change the boot from 32 to 64bit and back?

best Mondi

Loureiro

Loureiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
well, installation went right, no errors, but can't boot for the first time after finishing lion install. It does not show any KP or error at verbose mode, just hangs after display:

NTFS driver 3.8 [Flags: R/W].
NTFS volume name, version 3.1.

left there last night and no progress.

needed an usb-keyboard for installing - trackpad and keyboard haven't been detected ...
installation was searching many minutes for that devices but nothing happened, so I plugged the usbkb in and installation started ..

b.t.w installation: the "last minute" and "less than one minute" take about 20 minutes ;)
best Mondi

true story :lol:

I just needed to plug in a usb mouse, keyboard worked right

EDIT: It's up and running! I found the problem. Do not turn off any hardware under BIOS when installing Lion.

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I updated the guide. All correction was made by nesseau thx btw :D

Now you can make Full Installation to a freshy HD :D
Mac OS X Snow Leopard is no longer required :D

P.S.

There is something I'd like to share with you
Im working on ASUS 1201n all-in-one Installer

This tool colud be used as a preinstallation option and postinstall as well.
Packager will also include some Utilities. (Right now only Kext Utility)

If any of you have some ideas what should i add to this all-in-one tool let me now pm me ;)

Here is the screenshot what i've got right now;)

Posted Image

Loureiro

Loureiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
wow that's a huge step! awesome work crazyjuice and nesseau!

Thank you for supporting 1201n community so well!

I'm testing all the features that Lion has to offer. so far so good.

things not working here:

-trackpad doesn't wake up screen.
-can't login on Apple Store.

Cheers and keep the good work!

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

wow that's a huge step! awesome work crazyjuice and nesseau!

Thank you for supporting 1201n community so well!

I'm testing all the features that Lion has to offer. so far so good.

things not working here:

-trackpad doesn't wake up screen.
-can't login on Apple Store.

Cheers and keep the good work!

what type of message you got that u cant login to MAS ?

btw

if using lion install newest cuda drivers from here
http://developer.dow....0.31_macos.dmg
+

if somebody dont want to use dashboard heres a short script

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
killall Dock

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO
killall Dock

Loureiro

Loureiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
MAS says:
"Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

crazyjuice

crazyjuice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

MAS says:
"Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

---------------------Mac App Store Errors--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have MAS error like
  • "No GUID is available"
  • "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."
go throught steps below

Step 1 - Go to Library > Preferences > System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist

Step 2 - Reboot

If that won't help, please check your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra folder if there's a code:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
if not add it and reboot

Loureiro

Loureiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

---------------------Mac App Store Errors--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have MAS error like

• "No GUID is available"
  • "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."
go throught steps below

Step 1 - Go to Library > Preferences > System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist

Step 2 - Reboot

If that won't help, please check your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra folder if there's a code:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
if not add it and reboot

sorry, I saw that in the guide but didn't give attention. thanks for the tip.

mondial

mondial

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
GREAT WORK, Guys!!!

Now with the new 1201N Netbook-Maker, it must be a waltz!
Thank You so much, I knew it will work some a day!

b.t.w.: is the 1201N with LION able to manage more than 4 GB?

Best Mondi

TiGuy82

TiGuy82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
You have problems with more then 4GB of memory because of BIOS limitation

goMac'in

goMac'in

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I need clarity on steps:

Step 5 - Copy Packages folder from InstallESD.dmg to usb key inside /System/Installation/
Step 9 - Replace files inside installation and library directories using Lion_OSInstall_GM.tar.bz2

After restoring the InstallESD.dmg to the USB and validating the directory structure mentioned in steps 4 & 5, I do not see the items as described. Gong to terminal and issuing sudo -s and authenticating as required then cd /Volumes/Installer and issuing a ls -lR the paths and links mentioned do not exist. The output is attached.

There was a previous link (version 3) that had different content for the /Extra folder. This appears to at least boot the 1201N. Replacing the /Extra folder with the V4 content does not boot the 1201N.

I originally pulled the 1201N's hard disk since the Snow Leopard install (10.6.6) was no longer booting. This installation was a triple boot between Snow, Win7, and Ubuntu (I use GPT Edit to fudge the MBR to install Windows and Ubuntu). The unit has 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Dell WiFi with the Apple hardware ID hack. When I pulled the HDD and mounted it on a true MBP via a Firewire external enclosure, I chose to install Lion to the external drive. That process worked as expected. I then placed the HDD back in the 1201N and completed the install using the /Extra content from V3. I did not have mouse and keyboard and needed to use external USB devices. Repairing permission with Kext Utility did fix the mouse and keyboard after a reboot. With this working install I did a Carbon Copy Cloner to a USB stick for recovery. The noted "Not Working" items were confirmed with the V3 /Extra content.

So acting as a good beta testing member, I wanted to retry the new V4 guide but I'm stuck on creating the USB stick as listed. I'm not a n00b to the OSX world or systems in general (I work as a systems architect for a large financial firm) and any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files

nasseau

nasseau

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I need clarity on steps:

After restoring the InstallESD.dmg to the USB and validating the directory structure mentioned in steps 4 & 5, I do not see the items as described. Gong to terminal and issuing sudo -s and authenticating as required then cd /Volumes/Installer and issuing a ls -lR the paths and links mentioned do not exist. The output is attached.

Thanks.

Step 5 - (OPTIONAL) Open up Terminal and run the following command : (show hidden files)

CODE
Show hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Hide files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

Installation Guide

Step 1 - Restore BaseSystem.dmg to a usb guid formated usb key

BaseSystem.dmg is hidden inside InstallESD.dmg :)

TiGuy82

TiGuy82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I'm back to the scene (at least I'm installing the MacOS 10.6.8) using Crazyjuice guide.

Before to update to Lion I was looking for the Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1203 but I cannot find it, I only can find C2RC5r1187_Trunk1187.zip .

Where is the 1203?

nasseau

nasseau

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Where is the 1203?

inside the folder you can download here

install it with chameleon wizard

mondial

mondial

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

inside the folder you can download here

install it with chameleon wizard

Once in the wizard you have to choose the v1203! later ( > 1203) ones will not work on 1201N.
best Mondi

I need clarity on steps:

There was a previous link (version 3) that had different content for the /Extra folder. This appears to at least boot the 1201N. Replacing the /Extra folder with the V4 content does not boot the 1201N.
Thanks.

Clarification:
first I made the same mistake at STEP 1:
* you should not restore the InstallESD.dmg to USB --- you need the file BaseSystem.dmg inside the InstallESD.dmg (I think it's hidden, therefore "show" hidden files)!
* drag/copy the BaseSystem to Desktop and take that file as restore Source for the USB stick!
* Once created, delete the package-link and copy the packagefolder of installESD to the directory as described

hope that helps Mondi

jorde73

jorde73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi, Lion Installer usb key ready, restart, boot from usb disk, ok, apple with spinning reel but thats all...
How long does it take to boot from usb key first to lion ?
I waited about 15 min, have to wait more?
Thanks

mondial

mondial

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Hi, Lion Installer usb key ready, restart, boot from usb disk, ok, apple with spinning reel but thats all...
How long does it take to boot from usb key first to lion ?
I waited about 15 min, have to wait more?
Thanks

No , just about 1 minute apple-logo, then the apple-logo & active-wheel below is spinning, wait for further 1or2 minutes and you are in for first install.
But you have to take care from where you are booting! It's not possible to boot from 1201 and then choose the usbstick. You have to boot via usbstick - that's different. You also can change the bootdivice in bios by "F2" and the option "BOOT". Plz, try it ---- Otherwise your USBbooter is not configured right. Maybe you forgot something.

Mondi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy