[Help] Run a mac 'partition' in a VM? (Similar to what parallels etc does with win bootcamp)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

weeebber

weeebber

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have three partitions on my macbook pro: Snow Leo, Lion and Win7
I want to migrate my snow leo to lion but only specific files etc and was thinking of solutions of how to go about this with ease.

My solution i want to try is to be running Snow leo and have the lion partition active as the guest in a vm (so similar to how vmware/parallels can make the win bootcamp partition the guest.
I have tried google-ing however I cant find what i am looking for

I know this may be a long shot as the bootcamp vm guest thing took a while for the developers to perfect but does anyhone have any ideas/answers?

(I'm on a macbook pro, so hopefully slightly less complicated or less likely to see issues than if i was on a hackintosh)

Short version:
When booted in Snow Leopard can i have a VM of my Lion Partition running as the guest?
(or vice versa; lion and snow leo partition in VM)

vasi

vasi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You absolutely can do this, at least in VMWare Fusion 4. You just have to create a new VM, and then modify it so that instead of a virtual hard disk, it uses a VMDK corresponding to your raw partition.

How to create such a VMDK? You can use vmware-rawdiskcreator, which comes with VMWare Fusion (it's in the .app bundle somewhere). Or you can use my vmdk-raw-parts tool: https://github.com/vasi/vmdk-raw-parts . Either way, it's remarkably easy.

vasi

vasi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hmm, with the apparently exception of running Lion in the VM. I'm not sure why, but it only seems to work off a raw disk, not a raw partition, at least so far.

I get stuck at that "[ PCI configuration begin ]" message. Setting npci=0x2000 gets only slightly further, but it still never finds the root partition.

vasi

vasi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Never mind, there was a bug (now fixed) in vmdk-raw-parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy