1 reply to this topic

piokuc

piokuc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I am planning to try and install Mac OS X on my Samsung NB 30 touchscreen netbook.

Has anybody here had any success with hackintoshing this particular model?

I've found a video on youtube showing a hackintoshed NB30: The author says he's got a problem with network cards, neither WiFi nor ethernet works. I've read here: http://www.wired.com...ackintosh-upda/ an article about a similar problem with a different netbook which was solved by replacing the wifi card with a Mac OS X compatible one, Dell Wireless-N DW 1500 mini PCI. I actually checked on ebay and there was a used card like that available for £3 so I bought it, even though I wasn't really sure I would be able to use it with my NB30. On the official Samsung's NB30 spec page it says the WiFi is 802.11bg/n (MIMO)*Wireless LAN I tried to read a bit about the wifi cards business but frankly I'm confused with the various standards/sizes of slots, etc.

Can anybody please share his/her experience with NB30? That would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
piokuc

piokuc

piokuc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

An update. I have replaced the original wifi card in my Samsung NB30 with a used
DELL DW1397 BCM94312HMG A/B/G Wireless HALF WIFI Card
I bought on eBay for £3,60 including delivery...
Then I restored a Snow Leopard Retail DVD on a 8Gb USB stick, run the Netbook Installer on it and installed it. It works! The rather minor problems I found are:

1. Not able to boot directly from hard drive. But booting from the installation usb stick and choosing from the boot menu the partition where I installed the system works all right. After the system is up I can unmount the USB stick.

2. Sound card doesn't work.

Apart from that everything is cool. Interestingly, tapping the touchscreen works like a left click, that's all I can do with the touchscreen, but then, of course, I don't care about the touchscreen, really.

Unfortunately, after approximately 5 hours of joy the wifi card died... Was it just bad luck? I don't know. Perhaps switching the netbook off and on repeatedly while trying to resolve the boot from hd issue was bad for the card? No idea.

Anyway, I just ordered another wifi card and I'm waiting for the delivery...

Cheers,
piokuc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy