Ati Radeon HD 6650M Progress

Pentahex

76 posts in this topic

Have tried a new method using ATY-Init.kext, seems to be working better, see post below.

I have an Acer 7750G laptop with Ati Radeon HD 6650M graphics. Over the past few weeks I've been trying to enable accelerated graphics. Here is a report on my progress. Right now the internal LCD (LVDS) and VGA are working, HDMI is not.

First, I added the 6650M id to ati.c in chameleon (0x6741) and recompiled, using instructions from notshy.

Adding ATI card IDs to ATI.c

I placed the recompiled boot file on my EFI (boot) partition. This allowed me to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, and to choose a framebuffer using AtiConfig=x, where x is the framebuffer name. None of the 6000 level framebuffers worked for the LVDS, but at least two including Cattail and Fanwort did work for HDMI with acceleration.

Using information from bbc9 and mucha,

bcc9 mucha

I edited the Cattail framebuffer using information from the video bios dump. I still couldn't get a working LVDS. Then are found this topic by k540kkk on using Ipomoea on a 6470M.

Using Ipomoea on 6470M

So using this as guide, I entered by own senseid and k640kkk's information into Ipomoea, and and rebooted. Now I'm getting a full screen accelerated image on my internal LCD, and VGA seems to be working. To make this work for you, add the boot file below to your boot partition, edit ATI6000Controller.kext using the information below and boot with the flags "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" and AtiConfig=Ipomoea. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Personality: Ipomoea
ConnectorInfo count in decimal: 3
Disk offset in decimal 531240
0000000: 02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 29 01 00 00 20 01 01 03
0000010: 00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 21 03 03 01
0000020: 10 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 01 05

ATOM BIOS Rom: 
 SubsystemVendorID: 0x1025 SubsystemID: 0x050e
 IOBaseAddress: 0x3000
 Filename: BR039370.007
 BIOS Bootup Message: 
Acer / Compal JE70_HR Whistler Pro DDR3 128Mx16 600E/800M				   

PCI ID: 1002:6741
Connector at index 0
 Type [@offset 44838]: LVDS (7)
 Encoder [@offset 44842]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)
 i2cid [@offset 44912]: 0x92, OSX senseid: 0x3
Connector at index 1
 Type [@offset 44848]: HDMI-A (11)
 Encoder [@offset 44852]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (0x20)
 i2cid [@offset 44935]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1
Connector at index 2
 Type [@offset 44858]: VGA (1)
 Encoder [@offset 44862]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)
 i2cid [@offset 44962]: 0x94, OSX senseid: 0x5

post-33014-1312393845_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi! I've recently changed my Notebook, and it haves this Graphic Card, then i can't use OSX right now. Till today i felt like a ghost, cause there wasn't anyones who is trying to get this card to work. I'm really glad that you're working on it, really. I'm not skilled in making these things works, then i would give you my support as i could, with a donation for your work.

Just contact me in pm, you saved my day!

Hi there, congrats for the work you've done so far. Regarding the laptop you have, i'm thinking of buying the same model, is it well built, from a performance and case quality point of view?

Also is everything else working without problems?

You use the same id, 1, for VGA and LVDS. Isn't it supposed to be unique? I think they get mixed up somehow and you end up with a mirror output, does "detect display" works properly on both or you end up with a messed up screen? Does your LVDS works reliable, or sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't when you power off/sleep?

HDMI is using 11 02 instead of 21 03.

Hi there, congrats for the work you've done so far. Regarding the laptop you have, i'm thinking of buying the same model, is it well built, from a performance and case quality point of view?

Also is everything else working without problems?

I'm overall pretty happy with the Acer. It's a very powerful machine and a good deal for the money. It does have the second hard drive bay, but I had to order a special bottom panel to use it. The screen is very good IMHO. Everything is working in Lion except for USB 3.0, and graphics acceleration as listed above.

These Acer laptop doesn´t include the intel HD 3000??? The next step is to make both cards work intelHD and AMD we need to see the gmux.

I think there is a HD 3000 as part of the chipset, but I see no way to access it.

I have your own laptop, you may make a guide how to install Lion please?

Briefly, started by installing iATKOS S3, then updating to 10.6.8, and the installing Lion using the method at TonyMacx86.

You use the same id, 1, for VGA and LVDS. Isn't it supposed to be unique? I think they get mixed up somehow and you end up with a mirror output, does "detect display" works properly on both or you end up with a messed up screen? Does your LVDS works reliable, or sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't when you power off/sleep?

HDMI is using 11 02 instead of 21 03.

LVDS does work with acceleration, but I get a slight double vision effect on most reboots, rarely however, it looks perfect. Detect display did cause the screen to lose stability the one time I tried it. I have only briefly worked with VGA and HDMI, but when get a chance, I'll try to edit the numbers above to see what effect it has. Thanks for all the comments.

Using information from Avian here,

Editing ATY_Init.kext

I have edited ATY_Init.kext, which together with my previously edited ATI6000Controller.kext seems to be giving me better results. Download and install these kexts to S/L/E and reboot. GraphicsEnabler should be set to No at boot or in com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra. With this I sometimes will boot to black screen but will get normal acceleration one out of four times. YMMV. Good Luck.

6650_kexts.zip

• Like 1

Using information from Avian here,

Editing ATY_Init.kext

I have edited ATY_Init.kext, which together with my previously edited ATI6000Controller.kext seems to be giving me better results. Download and install these kexts to S/L/E and reboot. GraphicsEnabler should be set to No at boot or in com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra. With this I sometimes will boot to black screen but will get normal acceleration one out of four times. YMMV. Good Luck.

Hi,i have installed in my acer 7750g but i get double vision effect or black screen... :)

Worked thanks. do you know why we must keep rebooting?

I very much wish I did, then I might be able to fix it. I've continued to edit the Ipomoea personality with different settings, and also tried other framebuffers including Fanwort and Lotus, but really haven't been able to improve on present results. It might have something to do with how the driver interacts with the LVDS display. For example, I never have corruption with using VGA. It's also interesting that sometimes the "double vision" effect seems to be off 10 pixels, sometimes less, sometimes just one pixel, but occasional perfect. Weird. Luckily it's a laptop so I don't really have to turn it off very often.

I very much wish I did, then I might be able to fix it. I've continued to edit the Ipomoea personality with different settings, and also tried other framebuffers including Fanwort and Lotus, but really haven't been able to improve on present results. It might have something to do with how the driver interacts with the LVDS display. For example, I never have corruption with using VGA. It's also interesting that sometimes the "double vision" effect seems to be off 10 pixels, sometimes less, sometimes just one pixel, but occasional perfect. Weird. Luckily it's a laptop so I don't really have to turn it off very often.

Ok many thanks . IF you have a solution or improve the next, please contact me ! :D

ah sorry, another question... i have tried different sleep enabler.. but nothing working with acer 7750g.. you have tried?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

now i know why i get blackscreen in LVDS , coz i have different than yours

ATOM BIOS Rom:
SubsystemVendorID: 0x1025 SubsystemID: 0x0489
IOBaseAddress: 0x6000
Filename: BR39594.001
BIOS Bootup Message:
Acer/Wistron JE51/HM53/SJV52 Whistler Pro DDR3							 
PCI ID: 1002:6741
Connector at index 0
Type [@offset 44606]: LVDS (7)
Encoder [@offset 44610]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)
i2cid [@offset 44680]: 0x96, OSX senseid: 0x7
Connector at index 1
Type [@offset 44616]: HDMI-A (11)
Encoder [@offset 44620]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (0x20)
i2cid [@offset 44703]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1
Connector at index 2
Type [@offset 44626]: VGA (1)
Encoder [@offset 44630]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)
i2cid [@offset 44730]: 0x94, OSX senseid: 0x5