• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Raging Dragon

Raging Dragon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I installed OSX first and then Windows 7. I had a dual boot configuration which I set using EasyBCD. Everything was going fine until I then formatted another partition as NTFS for storage. This somehow messed up the boot settings and now OSX won't boot although windows 7 works fine.

Can someone please help me?

Is there some way to fix the boot settings for OSX Snow Leopard?

(I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.4)

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:>An error has occurred and your computer will spontanously combust to prevent further damage...
There are several guides floating around for this but...

I've never been a fan of EasyBCD. It's good software sure but it's always best to know how to fix things before you find tools that automate everything for you. That's my philosophy anyway.

You need to reinstall Chameleon onto your SnowLeo install. That will fix the problem but it may break booting into Windows. So you will need to plan ahead and have a few things before you can fix the problem.

- Access to another Mac
- Bootable USB pen/flash drive that has SnowLeo restored onto it with Chameleon installed.
OR
- Bootable USB external hard drive that has SnowLeo restored onto it with Chameleon installed.
OR
- Create a bootable Chameleon boot disc using the Extensions/settings you have for SnowLeo already.
- Windows 7 recovery disc/install disc (In case restoring Chameleon screws up your Windows boot setup)
- Blank CD-R or CD-RW
- Some time and patience

***If you don't have access to another Mac, this will become more difficult as this is all MUCH easier using a Mac. However, tons of OSX86 software has been made for Windows now too, so you'll have to just Google around and search for alternatives but eventually you'll probably find something of use. At the least, you should still be able to create a bootable Chameleon CD using Windows. I have no links for it though so you'll have to search.

The easiest way, is to have Snow Leopard restored onto USB media and install Chameleon onto it so you can boot into it and then after booting into your SnowLeo install, reinstall Chameleon from there. If you cannot do this for whatever reason, you will need a blank CD-R(W) disc so you can create a bootable recovery disc for Chameleon. The easiest way for doing this is by using BootCDMaker, which you can grab from here, BootCDMaker.

The program is very easy to use. Just follow the steps and add in all your required files for booting your SnowLeo install and click the make BootCD or LegacyBootCD option to make the ISO. Then burn the ISO using Disk Utility, etc. Then simply boot from the disc and get back into your SnowLeo install so you can reinstall Chameleon.

Hope it helps, good luck! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy