Various programs crashing after upgrading to Lion

JeremyN

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just got done bashing my head in trying to figure out why iTunes, iPhoto and other i* stuff kept crashing after I upgraded to Lion.

During the crashes, the error report would show;

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Thread execution terminated with;

0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff81653975 __THE_SYSTEM_HAS_NO_PORT_SETS_AVAILABLE__ + 5

Running the Activity Monitor with the Ports column activated didn't show anything abnormal. However, another issue that had been bothering me suddenly caught my attention again.

Process ReportCrash was running constantly on one of the processor cores. I checked /var/log/system.log and saw that cups-driverd was constantly crashing and generating Diagnostic reports.

Went into the cups/Print and Scan preferences control panel and removed my single printer definition.

Rebooted, and VOILA!

No more ReportCrash consuming a single core (I have 8 so I didn't really notice the slowness), no more cups-driverd messages, and best of all, no more issues with iTunes, iPhoto, etc....

What a pain in the butt.

Haven't tried re-adding the printer yet, but will give it a go and report here.

Found that after trying to re-add any printer, same problem as before.. cups-driverd would start crashing.

Found another article that linked to a PPD issue.

Removed /System/Library/Printers/PPDs and no more issue with cups. Can now browse / add / print freely.

So I guess this topic should be how to fix F*d up CUPS installation...