Launchpad-Control

Derty

14 posts in this topic

good application....

Already upgraded to Mac OS X Lion? Yes? Well then you certainly know Launchpad, the “home for your apps” like Apple says.

A huge disadvantage of the Launchpad is that every app that is located in your /Applications folder is shown. That means you will see little helper programs like uninstallers or updaters. These apps can’t be hidden easily from Launchpad because there are no such preferences.

Therefore I developed:

Launchpad-Control

Launchpad-Control is a small tool which allows you to easily hide/unhide apps (and groups) from launchpad in Mac OS X Lion.

Update #1: This tool is now a system preference pane! No need to have an additional app on your mac. Once you open the file it “installs” itself into the system preferences where it can be found under “Launchpad”. Isn’t that great?

This app is my first Cocoa project. Great thing that developing native apps for iOS really teach you how to develop for Mac OS X, too.

Please feel free to distribute and talk about this app on blogs, twitter or websites. I would really appreciate that.

Features

It’s a system preference pane (update #1)

Displays a table with all apps that are in Launchpad

Checkboxes for every app allow you to easily specify apps you want to hide or show

Backups/Restores your original database file

It’s completely free!

Download

Download Launchpad-Control now. It’s free!

launchpad control

launchpad-control-screenshot.png

official page: http://chaosspace.de/dev/launchpad-control...from-launchpad/

I actually made a script that removed the uninstallers and such but that was a bit more tedious to deal with than your app. I'm gonna give it a shot and see how well it works out and nice effort because  has for some reason made it quite difficult to remove unwanted apps from Launchpad without a secret combination of keyboard presses.

Works seamlessly working with the SQLlite 3 DB from Launchpad. I certainly wouldn't mind throwing in a donation for something useful like this since the average user would pull hairs out trying to remove unwanted apps from Launchpad.

Great app idea, but: does it work flawlessly for everyone? On my computer, the files I hide with Launchpad-Control reappear after a reboot. I see no one mentioned this, so I'm curious if no one else encountered this behaviour.

i only had once all the icon reappeared.

that's happen while i was playing with my configuration (dsdt, smbios), so in one of my reboots the caches was cleared and rewritten, and lunch pad is apparently one of them.

strange thing is, when opening the Prefpane,all the application i unchecked, was still unchecked, but below them is a duplicated one, and this one is checked.

once i configured everything correctly again. things got back to normal (at least until next time caches will be overwritten somehow)

here is an exemple to what happened

post-690327-1312212855.png

strange thing is, when opening the Prefpane,all the application i unchecked, was still unchecked, but below them is a duplicated one, and this one is checked.

Excatly what happens with me, except now i have about five duplicates that are unchecked and new ones that are :(

Excatly what happens with me, except now i have about five duplicates that are unchecked and new ones that are ;)

as far as i know, Lion boot will do '-f' whenever -v is on, or if there is no kernel cache

that means every time you boot with one of the flags, it may produce a rewritten caches.

be sure you did this commend to create mkext for S/L/E

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

and try avoiding flagging your boot

that means every time you boot with one of the flags, it may produce a rewritten caches.

So, you mean that every time and for whatever reason we NEED to boot with an -f flag, the changes we make in Launchpad-Control will be basically lost and we'd have to start over again? If so, that kinda dulls my enthusiasm for this app.

So, you mean that every time and for whatever reason we NEED to boot with an -f flag, the changes we make in Launchpad-Control will be basically lost and we'd have to start over again? If so, that kinda dulls my enthusiasm for this app.

it's not just lunchpad, its ALL caches. you will even have slower system on every boot with flag, cause it will start indexing files again, and this take resources , this at least my experience with flagging the boot:

longer boot (kext being processed), lag in login screen, indexing again and clearing all caches.