Leopard Developer Preview Update

viriiman

40 posts in this topic

So my Apple updater just came up and let me know about this update. In looking around on the fourms, I seem to be the first to post it here (FIRST!). Anyway, I'm going to run the update, and see what happens. If I make it back into 10.5, I'll post the results (and see if anything has changed for the better or worse).

Wish me luck!

So the update went off without a hitch, and I'm back in my install of 10.5.

My System Profile now reports "System Version: Mac OS X 10.5 (9A241e)". Unfortunately, I didn't get to check what it was before the update.

Haven't had a chance yet to see if anything has been improved, wanted to post my results with the update first.

Again, the update went smoothly for me withOUT any signs of Apple trying to disable me. You results may vary.

Will play with the OS and post if I can find anything that now works that didn't or anything that worked that now doesn't.

viriiman

Guest bikedude880

Very nice, I wonder what the update was designed to do... Hopefully nothing threatening towards all the "developers" that got their hands on it. :D

Here's the differences I can tell so far:

• Photobooth now launches (even though I have no camera connected to my system) and tells me it can't find the camera
  • Still nothing for Front Row in Keyboard & Mouse. Tried using my Keyspan FrontRow remote, but the menu won't come up
  • Testing out Time Machine to see if it will work for me (previously when launched it would display the contents of the desktop in a finder window and not let me change directories. If I did, Time Machine would exit)

Feel free to add to this list if you find anything else that (after the update) does or doesn't work.

From the installer log, list of updated apps.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Finalizing installation.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registering applications

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Address Book.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Chess.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Dashboard.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Expose.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Mail.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Spaces.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Spotlight.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Time Machine.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /Applications/Utilities/Firmware Password Utility.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/DashboardClient.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/DockSyncClient.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/Widget Installer.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/widgetadvisory.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/CoreServices/Spotlight.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AddressBookSharing.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Registered /System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AddressBookSync.app.

Sep 1 00:05:32 localhost : Optimizing system performance

Ran the update today. Everything has always worked for me except network printing to HP 3600N Color Laserjet. Installer quits in the configuration section. Time Machine is great so far. Can't wait for further updates to maybe fix my issue. 

Ok, after formatting my external HD and rerunning Time Machine, I'm happy to report that it's working (for me at least).

Previously, when I ran Time Machine a finder window with the desktop would appear, but I was unable to navigate into any other folder or move fowards/backwards in "time" using the silver arrows.

AFTER the update, Time Machine behaves much better. I'm able to go through different folders in the finder window that comes up, and I'm able to go foward/backward through "time". The animation of going foward/backward is choppy, and navigating through the finder window is a bit sluggish, but bearable.

I'll try and create some new files, delete old files, rerun Time Machine, and try going foward/backward through "time" in the morning.

Well, "cleaning up" my hd and moving some things around went by quickly, so I reran Time Machine (thinking, foolishly, that it would take the same amount of time to run - it didn't) which finished in about 5 minutes. I deleted some files, moved some others around, and movevd others to a network share. In all cases of moved/deleted files, I emptied out the trash BEFORE I reran Time Machine.

After rerunning Time Machine, I fired it back up to find that while I could move around like I stated in my previous post, it didn't appear that any of the changes I made were recorded by Time Machine. In short, all of the folders appeared exxactly the same (which is the way my mac is now).

Once or twice while I was trying to verify this info, Time Machine "crashed". The program closed itself, but there was no notification that it crashed or any request to send any info to Apple (I didn't disable that if there even is a way).

So, it seems that Time Machine is a little bit more stable for now, but still not fully function.

I will let Time Machine run at a set time and see if it is able to do that yet.

BTW, I realized that I never posted my systems specs to guage what "sluggish" is. I'm running a 1.25 GHz G4 mini w/ 1 GB ram and 13 GB free HD space.

Hope this helps.

virii

So the update went off without a hitch, and I'm back in my install of 10.5.

My System Profile now reports "System Version: Mac OS X 10.5 (9A241e)". Unfortunately, I didn't get to check what it was before the update.

Haven't had a chance yet to see if anything has been improved, wanted to post my results with the update first.

Again, the update went smoothly for me withOUT any signs of Apple trying to disable me. You results may vary.

Will play with the OS and post if I can find anything that now works that didn't or anything that worked that now doesn't.

viriiman

The original build was 9A241

So Time Machine ran when it was supposed to, but I'm unable to see any changes to restore anything (all of the finder windows that open all show the same items in them whether I go foward or backward through "time".

So it looks like Apple made the program a little more stable, but still not 100% functional.

Yet another Time Machine update...

I have just had some success with Time Machine and restoring a file.

For some unknown reason, Firefox decided that it wanted to loose all of my plugins, bookmarks, etc. I checked the profile folder to find that it was all the default files. I then realized that this was Steve's way of making me trust him :-p

I fired up Time Machine and was able to go back in "time" to last night. I found my profile folder, and restored it (by default, Time Machine restored it to my "user" directory).

After restoring the folder, I was able to reimport the files into my profile folder for Firefox, and things are back to normal.

So after everything, it seems that Time Machine does function (at least in the critical folders. My Profile was stored in /(my name)/Library/Preferences/Firefox however when I looked in Documents, it showed nothing changed when it had) to some extent. Hopefully the next update (which we'll all be able to use) will add better stability, smoother graphics, and backing up everything.

Mac HD --> Developer --> ADC Reference Library

Everything inside that folder. Specifically anything related to Cocoa or Objective-2.0 though ;)

And maybe dashcode?

Please send in pm, thanks :)

Folder doesn't exist on my mac. I DID run the FULL install on the machine, but can't find any of the above folders (I searched in finder for both "Developer" and "ADC Reference Library" and got nothing).

The first thing I have noticed . It boots or restarts much faster ! It now takes apox 75 sec to boot before the update it was taking apox 3 min to boot . Also it had a hang at shutdown or restart that lasted for a full min that is now down to  15 sec. So while not as fast as Tiger at booting no longer a big difference. 

Zip downloads with Safari now auto unzip leaving the zip in the trash. Didn't auto unzip before and while I could make zip archives with the new "Archive Utility"(in core services) unzipping required the older "BOMArchiver helper" from Tiger core services. Still need it for unzipping except for auto unzipping in Safari. 

Seem more stable so a small but noticable improvement.

B&W Mac with G4 650 MHz CPU and 1 GB RAM. 

i'm just skeptical...i downloaded about 1mb and thought "wait a second they could be tracking this and i might get in trouble" so i stopped the download. it just seems...i dunno, with not much being updated it seems strange that they change nothing but the letter at the end, which i don't think has been on any build number before.