OSX 10.7 Lion on P5K Premium WiFi - Black Pearl Edition

YouDoMeIDoYou

26 posts in this topic

Hi to everyone,

Here a short breakdown how I installed Lion on my Hardware:

I'm running Lion in 64Bit

Working: Restart, Sleep, Shutdown, QE / QI, Speedstep, Dual DVI Monitoring

Not tested: WiFi onboard

I'm not using any smbios.plist - don't really know what its for due to the fact chameleon is recognizing everything quite well. Any proposals are welcome! Don't know why its telling me "iMac (summer 2001)"...

post-260924-1311939284_thumb.jpg

Board: P5K Premium Black Pearl Edition - Bios Rev. 1101

CPU: Q6600 @ 2,4 GHz

Memory: 2 x 2GB Corsair DDR2 SDRAM, 800 MHz, CM2X2048-6400C5DHX

Graphics: GeForce 8800GT, 1024 MB, ID: 0x0611

Sound: AD1988B / SoundBlaster Live 5.1 PCI

Ethernet: Marvell88E8056 / RealtekRTL8110SC

Bootloader: Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083

I only want to share my files used in E/E - S/L/E Folder. There are very good instructions for Lion Setup e.g. here.

General hints:

Use Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg.zip and install PrefPane in order to easily get access to com.apple.Boot plist in E/E folder:

post-260924-1311936689_thumb.jpg

Check "Graphics Enabler" for Graphics injection durin boot:

post-260924-1311936852_thumb.jpg

For P-State and C-State support check both:

post-260924-1311936968_thumb.jpg

For DSDT Editing use DSDTEditor.zip

For extracting DSDT use DSDT autopatcher.

Files used in E/E:

dsdt.aml.zip

Following patches included:

AHCI

DTGP

ALIAS

HDEF

UHCI

HID/CID

LPC

IRQs

RENAMED DEVICES

SMBUS

SHUTDOWN

REMOVED DEVICES

FIX WARNINGS

RTC (no results with Lion)

AD1988B (no results with Lion)

SpeedStep Q6600, CPU 0-3

SpeedStep Q6600, CPU 1-4

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.zip for onboard RealtekRTL8110SC Ethernet - extracted from 10.6.6 Snow Leopard but working with Lion

post-260924-1311936274_thumb.jpg

Marvell88E8056.kext.zip for onboard Marvell88E8056 Ethernet

post-260924-1311936264_thumb.jpg

FakeSMC.kext.zip Attention: ACPIMonitor.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, IntelThermal.kext, NVClockX.kext, SuperIOFamily.kext for sensor reading already included (right click on FakeSMC.kext -> Contents, Plugins to add/delete some kexts). You might get Kernel Panics when using different hardware, e.g. Radeon Graphics!)

Look here for further information

You will need iStatMenus for getting system information:

post-260924-1311937342_thumb.jpg

Use Kext_Wizard.zip for making Extensions.mkext, installing kexts and repairing permissions.

Files used in S/L/E:

AppleHDA.kext.zip for onboard AD1988B-chip

post-260924-1311936017_thumb.jpg

AppleRTC.kext.zip for preventing BIOS-reset. Patched in DSDT but not working...

For my SBLIVE 5.1 Soundcard with SB0100 chip use kXAudioDriver_1.11b0.dmg.zip from kxproject.

Thanks,

im using SL on below config for SC2 playing, and some photo editing.

Did you get some improvments in LION compare to SL?

im on:

P5K Deluxe WIFI,

C2Q 8400

ATI 4870

4GB OCZ

SOFT SL RAID 0+1

I've installed Lion for two days now - there was no chance comparing performances between Snow Leopard and Lion - sorry. But I have the feeling Lion runs graphic effects a bit smoother. Isn't OpenGL better implemented in Lion? I thought so that Lion wants to be more compatible to games...

Good luck :wacko:

hi YouDoMeIDoYou

i am german, but i write in english as good i can ;)

my mainboard is an asus p5b deluxe wifi ap, but the soundchip is the same as your mainboard.

the soundchip is the adi1988b.

i installed lion but no sound. then i installed your applehda.kext from your post and restart my lion. No Sound.

have you an idea for me what i can do ???

lion is original installed, only fakesmc.kext, dsdt.aml with autopatcher, smbios.plist, skge.kext and applertc.kext.

thank you for your answer.

greets

snoopndh

Hi YouDoMeIDoYou

Thanks....

Should i copy ad1988b.kext in S/L/E with your AppleHDA.kext? And should i have a DSDT.aml-Patch for the AD1988b ???

greets

snoopndh

can you upload your E/E-Folder and the kexts you have in S/L/E???

I'm so sorry... I mixed up my Snow Leopard install with my Lion install! There is no ad1988b.kext used at all with Lion - it doesn't work with 10.7. Only use my mentioned kexts at the topic of my post and everything will work just fine. But to be sure here my used Kexts:

Extra_Extensions.zip

System_Library_Extensions.zip

Use Kext Wizard (link above) for installing kexts. You have to choose between Extra and S/L/E folder. Use the correct kexts for each destination:

post-260924-1312400229_thumb.jpg

post-260924-1312400247_thumb.jpg

Be also sure to use Kext Wizard for permissions and cache rebuild:

post-260924-1312399550_thumb.jpg

Another useful link for setting up you smbios.plist!

Please make sure you have the same hardware - otherwise all your time spent is useless...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have almost the same system. I'm running 8800GTS 640MB. Lion is up and running. Everything works except wireless.

However, i get plug-in failure in Safari on Adobe Flash. Also, Flash crashes in Firefox whenever I'm running an youtube video.

YouDoMeIDoYou i forgot to say, in your system preferences --> Serial-Ata your AHCI Controller is recognized?

My it isn't. I attached my print screen.

If i boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] it is recognized (Intel).

Thank you!

post-649817-1314776303_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
Sleep is only sleeping the LCD and harddrive(s) but not the fans.

When you put your rig to sleep does it go in deep sleep?

Yes, it does go into deep sleep. Did you enable C-States in chameleon?

I have almost the same system. I'm running 8800GTS 640MB. Lion is up and running. Everything works except wireless.

However, i get plug-in failure in Safari on Adobe Flash. Also, Flash crashes in Firefox whenever I'm running an youtube video.

I didn't try to get wireless working. Maybe an USB wireless adapter may be a solution for you?

Thank you YouDoMeIDoYou for your AppleHDA.kext and AppleRTC.kext. Now my sound its working. :D

I have a P5E3 - Premium Wifi and everything it's working perfect.

Cheers!

Nice to hear :) Good luck further on!

YouDoMeIDoYou i forgot to say, in your system preferences --> Serial-Ata your AHCI Controller is recognized?

My it isn't. I attached my print screen.

If i boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] it is recognized (Intel).

Thank you!

Yes it is correctly recognized. I am using chameleon - no trouble with that in any version. Is AHCI activated in BIOS? I remember running SATA drives with IDE enabled gave that "unknown"...

good luck

I've been able to install lion but I need some help to setting my graphic card and wifi (if possible)

My card si GeForce 8800GT 512 (DVI DVI)

If I set the GraphicsEnabler to Yes to boot.plist, I get a black screen after system loading. Any kext to work around this issue?

and for wifi I used the package found here and the latest downloaded from realtek website, but nothing happens.. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I have pretty much the same hardware:

Board: P5K Premium Black Pearl Edition - Bios Rev. 1101

CPU: Q6600 @ 2,4 GHz (running @ 3GHz)

Memory: 6GB DDR2

Graphics: GeForce 8800GT, 512 MB

Sound (on-board): AD1988B

Ethernet (on-board): Marvell88E8056 / RealtekRTL8110SC

I got OS-X 1.7.3 installled and I'm trying to configure it with the files in the first post of this topic. My only experience with Apple software is with 4th generation iPod (I know how to use the clickwheel, lol), so the learning curve is quite steep.

question 1 - are the files and methods in this thread still relevant or should I use something more up-to-date? For example, the link to the Auto Patcher says the app has been discontinued.

question 2 - what exactly should I do with the dsdt file in the first post? The post mentions editing and extracting but I don't know what to edit/extract and the logic behind it.

question 3 - should I be using MultiBeastt? I'm not really sure what most of its options mean but I see it has an option to use a dsdt file.

What I've tried so far just for testing:

1. after the OS install I ran Chameleon (used the latest version)

2. ran Kext Helper b7 and threw all the kexts from this thread into it. This got the network going.

3. The video appeared to be working very well, though I only tested youtube. I then went into Chameleon and ticked the checkboxes as the screenshot in this thread suggested (Graphics Enabler - check, Graphics Mode - check). My resolution was not in the drop-down, so I typed it in (1600x1200x32). After reboot the resolution defaulted to a low default 1024x768 and youtube video became sluggish. I didn't see a way to fix it so I removed checkboxes from Chameleon.

4. Tried running DSDTParser.jar in the DSDT Auto Patcher folder but didn't understand what to load into the "patch" window.

5. Ran MultiBeastt with the intention to use the dsdt file from this thread and the only option I chose was DSDT (had the dsdt file from this thread extracted to my desktop). Rebooted. Resolution and video became normal again. Network working. Audio working.

A couple of problems -

a. After loading the dsdt with Multibeastt there is now a lag every couple of seconds. The mouse cursor freezes for just a moment (youtube video too).

< UPDATE >

Found an answer to the skips. Fixed with the following command line magic:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo mv AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.old

b. The keyboard works funky. Home and End keys don't take me to beginning and end of sentences. Ctrl key is now the Win key, etc. New line is Shift+Enter instead of just Enter. Not sure if it's a bug or feature of the OS.

< UPDATE >

Looked it up on google and apparently keyboard on OS-X is supposed to work this way.

I'm ready to reinstall and try again if there is a better way to do this.

I'm hoping to get a little bit of friendly help to get me going.

calciumantacid,

This is a highlight and will go in details later on. ( not tomorrow )

#1 - I have found issues with his setup, speed step, audio, and some other stuff.

#2 - I hate automatic patchers installers firstly because there are not guaranteed to be 100% accurate and since they are not 100% accurate the instant something goes wrong or does not work quit right noobs are screwed.

#4 - By experience, these pre made solutions are achieved by trial and error until they get some sort of stable system,package it, then distribute it BUT all of them fail the multiple dependent fundamentals ( of equal importance ) for any successful hackintosh.

For your very short answer:

- You don't have to reinstall 10.7.x.

- Quote"After loading the dsdt with Multibeastt kb input freeze" it's not only your keyboard it's the whole system.: the real source of the problem is MultiBeastts/chameleon inability to properly configure P-States. Your found solution might work but it is not the proper solution.

-Scrap the idea that a hackintosh installer will do the work for you because it won't!

-You will drown in the Hackintosh sea of collective incoherent knowledge and fight for your survival !

- Or get your system to a workable state and wait on my reply and believe me I don't do a half ass job of things. But all good things take time so like I said it's not for tomorrow.

Or you can wait for this new apple product, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8gF0KTfMrQ&feature=share :) just as useful as Lion's 10.7 innovations....

• Like 1

Awesome, I'm looking forward to learning more. My system is in a workable state - video, audio and network are running well. I didn't get wi-fi going but I don't really need it on this machine.

So far I've been using Lion all day and I'm totally in love with it. I want to keep it as my main OS. The momentary freezes were apparently related to iTunes (I did update it and play with it for a bit before the problem started). The problem has not come back after I applied the fix. I kind of wonder if Lion has a sanity check utility similar to Device Manager on Windows where you can see yellow exclamation marks to get a heads up when something's not quite right.

<Update>

So, it's been a week and I've been using OS-X exclusively. I got a new SSD so I reinstalled Lion. I know I could have just cloned it but I wanted to get more experience with setting up a boot loader and drivers.

Here's the procedure that worked for me:

1. Install Lion

2. User Kext Helper and install the kexts from this thread.

• AppleHDA.kext
  • Marvell88E8056.kext
  • AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • AppleRTC.kext

3. Install

Chameleon 2.0-RC5. The newer 2.1 version didn't work for me.

FV5qk.png

4. Find Chameleon in System Preferences and configure it as explained in this thread (C and P states, etc).

5. Repair permissions just in case and reboot from the new system partition.

6. You may get mouse/video stuttering (known issue with Nvidia 8800 GT or GTS) after you launch iTunes. Install disabler.kext to fix it.

7. Font rendering needs some fixing too. Paste into the Terminal:

defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 1

Reload a browser tab to see the difference. Reboot for system-wide effect. Numbers can be 0 to 4.

That's it. You're golden.