nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

Poll: Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (15 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (13 votes [22.03%])

Percentage of vote: 22.03%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (1 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (2 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (0 votes [0.00%])

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (6 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (1 votes [1.69%])

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (1 votes [1.69%])

13. Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems? (7 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

14. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK? (10 votes [16.95%])

Percentage of vote: 16.95%

Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

1. 100% on (17 votes [27.87%])

Percentage of vote: 27.87%

2. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (5 votes [8.20%])

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

3. Series 6 - 650i, 680i (9 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. 90% on (7 votes [11.48%])

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

5. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (5 votes [8.20%])

6. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (5 votes [8.20%])

7. 80% on (4 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

8. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (2 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

9. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (3 votes [4.92%])

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

10. 70% on (1 votes [1.64%])

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

11. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (0 votes [0.00%])

13. 60% on (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (1 votes [1.64%])

16. 50% on (1 votes [1.64%])

17. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (1 votes [1.64%])

18. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (0 votes [0.00%])

19. < 50% on (0 votes [0.00%])

20. Acceptably on 610i or 630i (0 votes [0.00%])

Is your Lion system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (33 votes [13.47%])

Percentage of vote: 13.47%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (6 votes [2.45%])

Percentage of vote: 2.45%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (8 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (9 votes [3.67%])

Percentage of vote: 3.67%

5. Video (25 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (26 votes [10.61%])

Percentage of vote: 10.61%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (28 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

8. Firewire (10 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (6 votes [2.45%])

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (14 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (4 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (5 votes [2.04%])

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (6 votes [2.45%])

14. PCI NIC (4 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

15. eSATA (3 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

16. Bluetooth (10 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

17. WiFi (11 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

18. Time Machine (8 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

19. Overclocking (12 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x (17 votes [6.94%])

Percentage of vote: 6.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Allen Schewe

Allen Schewe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
works now. Thanks

JohnnyFikCock

JohnnyFikCock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Here's a link with them till he puts up an updated link.

P.S. Are you planing on doing one of these guides for the beta of M.L. Verdant?

i think you can install Moutain Lion the same way like Lion...i've read some posts were people use this tutorial to install M. Lion

Allen Schewe

Allen Schewe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
according to the instructions there was supposed to be a dsdt.aml file in the verdant support folder v 1.1 but i didn't see it. Anybody have the dsdt for the Asus P5N-e 650 sli? Thanks!

Nick Savage

Nick Savage

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Verdant strikes again....So I was having issue with my raid array and Verdant showed me a little trick on how to get it working on all four of my cores until applenforceata.kext is updated with raid support use maxmem=3456. I can only use half of my available ram but the system is stable finally and I will be looking forward to the updated kext whenever it may be released. Nick savage narrowed the issue down to memory. I can't wait to see what he will figure out next finally some movement on this issue! Here is some info on the subject:

http://code.google.c...ues/detail?id=2

Does Slashack Manage this? Can we get a hold of him? If you goto the project home link it has someones email slash...@gmail.com

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1754512

http://www.xtremesys...shooting-Thread

Thanks again Verdant and Nick Savage you rock!!! :) :) :)

Mega delayed reply here. :P

My guess was that regardless of whatever modifications have been made to the sata kexts we are using (I forget how many kexts I had tried that claim to be recompiled or tweaked for 64bit use) none of them fix the use of what I presume is a 32bit DMA memory map or something along those lines. One would think that it shouldn't have an effect on file transfers between two drives not connected to the nforce sata bus, but it does. Something related to the way the root volume gets used, I suppose. I never did test it but the issue may resonate in a fashion similar to 32bit memory issues ala windows XP; with the VRAM of the graphics card being part of the 4gig max for memory that can be mapped (which could be why we see so many varying maxmem totals. My system was running a 512mb card). I frankly have not kept up on how moving to 64bit architectures effects things. Someone with the appropriate programing skills and some familiarity with authoring iokit drivers can probably fix the issues (Not in my immediate skillset, sadly.) This problem seems to afflict a whole bunch of ata and sata kexts that were probably coded originally for use with 10.4/10.5. I've seen threads here and elsewhere where folks have updated a few of them; none for nforceata though. Digging up info on all of this was a royal pain when I did it; all of the kexts floating around are poorly labeled and a number of the folks who rebundle other people's stuff have renamed/relabled kexts at various times much to my annoyance. As to setting the flags to limit CPU cores (cpu=x, etc) I can't speak as to why I had no negative impact running both my cores on my particular software combo (My 10.6 and 10.7 installs have been as bare-bones as possible).

Someone needs to spit out a updated kext :P

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >
@ All Guide readers/posters

Please accept my apologies but at present my 'real life' workload is requiring me to very greatly limit my time for visiting the IM OSx86 forum (or indeed any other OSx86/Linux/OS X fora) and hence for responding to posts in this topic (and my other topics too) asking for help....... :compress:

Here's a link with them till he puts up an updated link.

P.S. Are you planing on doing one of these guides for the beta of M.L. Verdant?

More likely a guide for the Retail Mount Lion version once all features have been fixed ......... :)

P.S. Thanks for putting up a temporary link. I have contacted Sendspace to find out why it cannot be downloaded at present.

according to the instructions there was supposed to be a dsdt.aml file in the verdant support folder v 1.1 but i didn't see it. Anybody have the dsdt for the Asus P5N-e 650 sli? Thanks!

Sorry about the instructions misleading you......... :(

The instructions should have read as follows:

Copy across from your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard system, your MOBO's OS X DSDT.aml file into the open target HDD OS X Lion System Window, i.e. the target HDD volume's / directory…….

Thanks for spotting the error.........I have now corrected the Guide.

My Guide assumes that your are already running OS X Snow Leopard in 64 bit, and thus are already using a DSDT.aml file.....if you are not using a DSDT.aml file, then you should be able to generate your dsdt.aml file for your specific MOBO using the procedure explained in Post #3....... ;)

muiterz

muiterz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
I installed Lion succcesfully. But when exiting lion my pc can't start again. I have to reset the cmos battery. I have a asus p5n32e sli plus with q6600@3000mhz

Does anyone know how to run 2 video cards with this setup? i want to run triple monitor setup

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ All Guide readers/posters

My verdant_Lion_Support_Files_V1.1 have been re-uploaded to SendSpace, so the link in post #1 is working again for me and should be for you..... :)

Nostromo1990

Nostromo1990

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Dear Verdant!

First of all i need to say a big THANK YOU for your guides, because now thank's to your posts, i have a fully functional OSX Lion 10.7.0 on my PC.
Now only one more thing missing. I have no hardware acceleration for my 8800 GTX. After few days of searching around, i'm still facing with this problem. As i know it's a known issue, but i can't find the solution.
I heard something about that the 10.7.3 update will solve the problem. i've tried to update, but i get kernel panic every time.
I'm using only the kexts from your support files v1.1, and i haven't modified the DSDT yet.
I just entered the hex format string of my GPU under device-properties in boot.plist. i get the full resolution that i needed, but still no hardware acceleration, and with flash crashes.
Please if You, or anybody have a solution, help me!

I have an Asus Striker Extreme MOBO (nForce 680i) with two 8800 GTX (SLI) in it. I needed to take my second card out to install the Lion, so now I have just one installed in single mode. Is it possible to get the SLI back to work?

Thank's for Your help, and sorry for my bad english.

Regards,
Nostromo

greenwayer

greenwayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
I just bought a brand new ssd (agility 3 60gb) and now i am getting random ioatacontroller device blocking bus followed by still waiting for root device. fsck never runs. It works randomly though. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Greenwayer

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
AppleNForceATA is not optimized for ssds. Would be interesting if someone has a SSD running with nForce and OSX.

greenwayer

greenwayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

AppleNForceATA is not optimized for ssds. Would be interesting if someone has a SSD running with nForce and OSX.

Why should it matter? Shouldnt it see it as just a normal hard disk, as ssds use generic drivers? Also if that is the problem what can I do if i need to use an ssd? Any dsdt patches so I can get rid of NForceATA? are there any alternatives to NForceATA?

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
Im not really sure if this problem exists but the nForce driver for oS x is very old(latest small update was 2010). When changing the board is no option for you by a SATA AHCI supported PCIe card: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=265281

twincat

twincat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

I followed step by step your tuto talking about the still waiting for root device and nothing works heres my config, perhaps you'll have the answer to my question, "do you know any solution"(By the way I'm upgrading to 10.7.3 combo).

ASUS P5N-E SLI
dual card GTS 450
Chameleon-2.1svn-r1923
Sorry to ask but I have been told once that ther was no dumb questions
Thanks in advance

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Hello,

I followed step by step your tuto talking about the still waiting for root device and nothing works heres my config, perhaps you'll have the answer to my question, "do you know any solution"(By the way I'm upgrading to 10.7.3 combo).

ASUS P5N-E SLI
dual card GTS 450
Chameleon-2.1svn-r1923
Sorry to ask but I have been told once that ther was no dumb questions
Thanks in advance

Is your DVDRW a SATA or PATA (IDE) device?

Are you trying to install with two graphics cards plugged into the MOBO?

How much RAM installed?

Look at my signature to see what system information will be useful to those trying help you

manny

manny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Well, thanks to your great guide i've gotten my video and ethernet working correctly and i'm almost at 100 percent! My biggest issue is the sound right now, my head seems to be spinning with intructions and can't get it to work right. Any help wold be appreciated. I have an Asus Striker 2 Extreme 790i with SupremeFX sound card.. i've looked at the post in the beginning and just can't wrap my head around it. Heres my dsdt file if anyone could hold my hand ;/

Also, i'm on a fresh install of Lion 10.7.2

thank you so much :(

Attached Files

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Well, thanks to your great guide i've gotten my video and ethernet working correctly and i'm almost at 100 percent! My biggest issue is the sound right now, my head seems to be spinning with intructions and can't get it to work right. Any help wold be appreciated. I have an Asus Striker 2 Extreme 790i with SupremeFX sound card.. i've looked at the post in the beginning and just can't wrap my head around it. Heres my dsdt file if anyone could hold my hand ;/

Also, i'm on a fresh install of Lion 10.7.2

thank you so much :(

Have you looked at post #5 Item 1.............if I get a chance, I will look at your dsdt file tomorrow........

manny

manny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
I sure did, i'm guessing i didn't patch my dsdt file correctly.. I used dsdt editor for mac with the supplied patches are in there ;x Were those okay to use? Thank you for possibly looking at my dsdt, verdant. Thanks for all the time and effort trying to help us new guys out ;D

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

I sure did, i'm guessing i didn't patch my dsdt file correctly.. I used dsdt editor for mac with the supplied patches are in there ;x Were those okay to use? Thank you for possibly looking at my dsdt, verdant. Thanks for all the time and effort trying to help us new guys out ;D

I could not find the DTGP and HDEF patches for audio in your DSDT.file, so have put them in for you. Try it with the AD1998b.FIX.kext and AppleHDA.1062.kext in /S/L/E/.........let me know how it goes.........:)

If this does not work, or you want the front microphone to work, then try oldnapalm's patched (for AD1988B 7.1) VoodooHDA.kext v2.7.2 Snow Leopard/Lion.......:)

Attached Files

manny

manny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply, verdant! You're help is much appreciated! Unfortunately, when i installed the dsdt and booted up, it gave me the PCI Configuration begin message and then froze ;/

Also, in an unrelated question.. everytime i switch back and forth from windows, the time seems to get messed up. I thought thats what the AppleRTC.kext was for (which I installed) but it seems to keep happening ;x OSX is a beautiful but frusturating mistress.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Thanks for the speedy reply, verdant! You're help is much appreciated! Unfortunately, when i installed the dsdt and booted up, it gave me the PCI Configuration begin message and then froze ;/

Also, in an unrelated question.. everytime i switch back and forth from windows, the time seems to get messed up. I thought thats what the AppleRTC.kext was for (which I installed) but it seems to keep happening ;x OSX is a beautiful but frusturating mistress.

Have you checked out Post #4 Issue 1 on PCI Configuration issues?

For correcting OS clock differences between OS X and Windows, see my blog entry.....the AppleRTC.kext is used for controlling the Real-Time Clock, the chip used to keep the computer time even when the system is turned off but the clock time difference relates to the fact that Unix-based OS's such as OS X and Ubuntu Linux (and Linux in general) keep time in UTC. So, on shut down, by default, OS X and Ubuntu Linux reset the computer BIOS (in CMOS memory or NVRAM) clock to UTC i.e. basically GMT . However, Windows OS's (except NT I believe) generally by default assume that your computer BIOS clock time is set to your Local Time......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy