nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

Hi

I am trying to install Lion 10.7.4 using your tutorial (USB stick install) on my P5N-E SLI (nForce 650i chipset).

During the first launch; i get the following error :

kxld [com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA] : The Mach-0 file is malformed : Invalid magic number : 0x7feed

Can't load kext com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA - link failed

Failed to load executable for kext com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA.

I couldn't find any useful intel on this error message.

Of course, the install program does not detect my 5 hard drives (4 SATA, 1 IDE).

Do you know what could be the problem ?

Thanks for any help

Hi

I am trying to install Lion 10.7.4 using your tutorial (USB stick install) on my P5N-E SLI (nForce 650i chipset).

During the first launch; i get the following error :

I couldn't find any useful intel on this error message.

Of course, the install program does not detect my 5 hard drives (4 SATA, 1 IDE).

Do you know what could be the problem ?

Thanks for any help

You need to be very careful to put the correct files in the correct locations on the USB flash drive........and have a IDE (PATA) DVDRW drive jumper-set as Master and connected to the MOBO as Master via an 80-wire IDE cable and install to a SATA HDD, temporarily disconnecting the IDE HDD...... also the non-OS X SATA HDDs as well for safety if you can do this easily.....

I have overcome my nForce chipset issue with my SATA DVDRW by using two ASM1061 chipset PCI-e SATA III cards (2 eSATA, or 2 SATA, or 1 eSATA and 1 SATA port) by ASMedia: http://www.asmedia.c...&cate_index=117

I have put one card in a spare x16 PCI-e slot and one card in a spare x8 PCI-e slot.

Read all of http://www.insanelym...pic=265281&st=0 for posts of any confirmed successful use of this chipset with a SATA SSID......

Does this chipset work with Snow Leopard as well or just Lion?

@ icedtrip

It works for both Snow Leopard and Lion.........:)

@ All verdant nForce topic readers

With the release of OS X Mountain Lion today, I will be doing a OS X Mountain Lion Retail Download Install Guide for Series 6 and 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBOs.........:)

@ icedtrip

It works for both Snow Leopard and Lion......... :)

@ All verdant nForce topic readers

With the release of OS X Mountain Lion today, I will be doing a OS X Mountain Lion Retail Download Install Guide for Series 6 and 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBOs......... :)

Thanks! Good to know...just ordered one. Tired of using a USB Bluray Drive.

Also, I put off upgrading my nForce machine to 10.7 and figured I'd hold off for 10.8....so good to hear on new install guide!

Almost 6 years with this machine and it still runs like a champ!

• Like 1

So I got this in the mail yesterday ( http://www.amazon.com/Crest-Port-SATA-PCI-Express-SY-PEX40039/dp/B005B0A6ZS/ ), got home and installed it, and so far have run into a couple of problems.

I have a DVD drive and a Bluray drive both plugged into it. The machine boots and recognizes the drives, and at some point in booting Snow Leopard, both drive doors open. I close the drive doors, and once the desktop shows up, a dialog appears saying it doesn't recognize the disc in the drive when there is no disc in the drive. It seems as though the OS thinks there is a DVD or something in the drive. I did try putting a disc in one of the drives and the system froze. I'll play around with it more tonight, but any ideas?

So I got this in the mail yesterday ( http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B005B0A6ZS/ ), got home and installed it, and so far have run into a couple of problems.

I have a DVD drive and a Bluray drive both plugged into it. The machine boots and recognizes the drives, and at some point in booting Snow Leopard, both drive doors open. I close the drive doors, and once the desktop shows up, a dialog appears saying it doesn't recognize the disc in the drive when there is no disc in the drive. It seems as though the OS thinks there is a DVD or something in the drive. I did try putting a disc in one of the drives and the system froze. I'll play around with it more tonight, but any ideas?

I get around this quirky issue by placing one of my undamaged "coaster" CDs or DVDs in the SATA DVDRW before I boot into OS X and before I shut down OS X......i.e. I keep a CD/DVD in the SATA DVDRW all the time..... :)

BTW I should mention, that once OS X is booted and running, I have had no problems and simply put whatever CD/DVDRW I need to/want to use in the DVDRW........but when I want to shut OS X down I first put my "coaster" disc in the drive......

So, I suggest that you try the same for both the DVDRW and the BlueRay drive.......:)

Edited by verdant

Hi All, I'm having trouble getting my existing osx partition of Lion (or while trying to install Mountain Lion) to work after installing an PNY Geforce GTX 550 Ti into my Asus Striker 2 Extreme nforce 790i. This new card is replacing an EVGA GeForce 9600 GSO that died on me. When I replaced the card, I would boot up and it would hang at PCI Configuration Begins. Then after researching the error I decided to install a modified IOPCIFamily.kext from netkas, available here: http://netkas.org/?p=1053. This got me past that error, but then it gave me a kernel panic about IntelCPUMonitor not being able to load something into FakeSMC which then hangs. After more researching I removed IntelCPUMonitor altogether, which got me to the point of AppleNforceATA detecting my drives but then it just hangs.. and thats where i'm stuck. ;/

I thought installing Mountain Lion would solve the problem because from what I understand my video card is suppossed to be supported out of the box (same thing with Lion if i'm reading correctly).

I'm very frusturated but I enjoy the challenge ! Can anyone here give me a little bit of insight as to what might be happening?

@ manny

Have you read post #4 Issue 1 yet, which deals with the [PCI configuration begin] bootup error?

Also, see the PCI Configuration Begin topic started by mboy.

Remember when installing kexts, you need to use Terminal to repair the /S/L/E/ kext ownership and permissions properly, and rebuild the kernelcache file……alternatively, you can use janek202's Kext Wizard for a Terminal-free life.......

In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

exit

and back at the $ prompt, to force the next sudo command to be reauthenticated via a password check, type

sudo -k

exit

Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….(just to make sure).....

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

Alternatively, you can use

sudo -s or sudo su (followed by your password and then press Enter), which will drop you to the root # prompt.

Then type:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

kextcache -system-caches

exit

and back at the $ prompt, to force the next sudo command to be reauthenticated via a password check, type

sudo -k

exit

I have given you both options because while the following is usually recommended because as zhell frequently says using "go=u-w" instead of "755", sets the permissions of group and others to be the same as those of the user (=owner) but minus write permissions. This has the advantage of only leaving the executable bit set on items that already have it, avoiding to make all files executable. Having the wrong files executable is a security risk.

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

but if you do have problems with a specific kext and its permissions, it could be because it contains a binary executable.......in which case, you need to use "755" instead of "go=u-w", for the specific kext(s), or for /S/L/E for convenience as a "catch all" when vanilla Apple and non-Apple kexts are bundled together in /S/L/E:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Problem.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Problem.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

I hope the above all makes sense..... :)

Well, it all makes sense, but I forgot to mention that i'm transferring kexts to my Lion partition from my Windows drive using MacDrive. My install was working fine before I was forced to swap video cards. So i'm not too sure how to repair permissions without being able to boot into a working OSX install ;x

@ Manny

I use TransMac in Windows and know that I do not have to worry about permissions because if I remember correctly Windows does not use them and so cannot mess them up for OS X.........perhaps the same is true when using Mac Drive.....? Perhaps Google can confirm this for you?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi verdant,

Iv posted in this thread a few times but id like to report that I finally got my nForce 780i system working again. I never managed to test it beyond 10.7.1 as the 10.7.2 update killed it (I was not savvy enough to set it up to use the kernel cache etc) However I have since managed to get it working up to 10.7.3 along with full acceleration from the GTX 295.

In other posts (im not sure if you already cover it in your advice) that updating to 10.7.3 and then installing the drivers from nVidia http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f01-driver.html allows many GPUs to boot out of the box using Graphics Enabler=yes.

I finally managed to get this to work with the GTX 295, solving my age old problem of the dreaded black screen when initializing the GUI... It might be good to advise that users should check the outputs from ALL ports on the GPU they have, as stupid as it sound... Most people will only have two outputs, but an unlucky soul like myself with the GTX295 has 3, the HDMI port is something i have never used on that card. But it seems that with the Graphics enabler=yes option, the GTX295 only outputs on the HDMI port... thought it could be useful if anyone else has seen this...

I also saw it on a EN210 Silent, no output from the VGA, Only on the DVI :)

I still have to test out if my original 10.7.0(1) issue of finder randomly locking up the PC during general file transfers and manipulations is still there in 10.7.3... and then obviously update to 10.7.4

Cheers...

• Like 1

@ ErOSx86

Thanks for this very helpful information.......also when updating I recommend using the standalone Combo updater:

MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.2.dmg

MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.3.dmg

MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.4.dmg

I have not specifically covered it as the graphics card port output behaviour with Graphics Enabler=Yes option is as you point out graphics card model dependent.....

Many thanks verdant. I have since updated all the threads that i have posted in with regard to the GTX 295, i still need to flex the nForce board that i have as originally I had terrible issues with file transfers causing the system to lock up. I had to install the combo update 4 times before it finally made it past the verify stage. As Finder lockups are widely reported in lion 10.7.0 and 10.7.1 I am glad i finally get to test out 10.7.3 and 10.7.4 to see if the issue has been solved. I am hoping it is not something indicative of my motherboard, but we will see.

Thanks once again :)

@ ErOSx86

It is probably AppleNForceATA.kext / RAM related as discussed by myself and Nick Savage:

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1768966

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1773813

Also, some time back I posted about this in my OS X Snow Leopard topic:

".......there appear to be varying degrees of instability depending on the nForce chipset...........the 780i and 680i seem to be the most problematic..........I have no major issues with my 650i chipset...........but then I directly cool my Northbridge and Southbridge chipsets........so, as I said in an earlier post in this thread it could be temperature related in part........"

That is quite interesting, I was just about to post asking about if there was a memory limit which might help stability.

To update, I have attempted to get the other display ports operating and had no success with either EFI strings or nvenabler. 10.7.4 works fine though after again installing the official nvidia drivers.

Only issue i have found is when using LuxMark to test openCL functionality, due to the second (and not correctly initialized) card being recognised as a separate device, i got a kernel panic as soon as the program attempted to load the gpus up for rendering.

Using nvenabler seems to correctly inject the memory sizes and fixes this...

Following a little reading of your posts, i am going to do a little research into my motherboard and figure out exactly what controllers are being used and generally give the system a shakedown.

I believe i have the kext as downloaded in your packages, and i dont have a sata dvd drive, so ill look at exactly what parts of the motherboard are what and see what i can do.

but the ram shouldnt be an issue with the correct kext is that correct?

@ ErOSx86

It shouldn't be, but perhaps not all nForce Southbridge / Northbridge chipsets behave the same.....

I am running 6GB RAM on my nForce 650i with 4 cores using imk's AppleNForceATA.kext on OS X Snow Leopard, OS X Lion, and OS X Mountain Lion in 64bit mode, and AnV's variant of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext on OS X Snow Leopard in 32bit mode.......

It is strange, just as i was reporting back that things seemed to be working, my pc decided that it would lock up.

I had changed the Sata over from one location on the MB to another (it has a set of two ports on their own and another block of two elsewhere, i moved from the two solo ports to the group of 4 with my hard drives) nvenabler seems to have started working a little differetly also, giving me use of both dvi ports :D so im working on dual displays now. because the system appeared stable i took the mem limit off again and tried doing some large transfers over network and USB...

Things got upset just as i was writing to report all good... the irony... I am suspicious of my USB hub, as i use a hub to carry my keyboard and mouse as not to waste space. From memory i might have always had issues when transferring files using that port. More testing to do and i will report back with any findings. Because the bug is random is it sometimes difficult to say what causes it though usually it is triggered by file transfers

Currently I have deactivated 2 of the 3 sata controllers on the XFX 780i so what ever controller device 0 is, is taking care of my two hard drives (one windows one mac) I forgot to limit the ram to 3gb. So far it has been playing two HD movies at the same time for about an hour... hard drive showing constant activity... so far so good... but bare in mind that previously it took about 2 hours to freeze

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what the best plan is now, After having the system operate flawlessly under load for about 5 hours in one session I thought all is solved. After that, iv had the system crash almost constantly under light use, typically within 10-15mins.

Not completely sure other than trying in 32bit mode, which i sort of wanna avoid since most of my work is compiled 64bit

@ ErOSx86

Have you looked at the crash logs......? Your options on what to do next will depend on what the crash logs indicate........

Are you now using imk's AppleNForceATA.kext, so that you do not have use the maxmem=3072 bootflag?

Have you tried one HDD per SATA channel (Windows on SATA Primary 0/1 and OS X on SATA Primary 1/2) with SATA channel 2/3 disabled.....?

• 1 month later...

First off,

THANK YOU verdant for the massive documentation and support on these nForce boards.

I am having a heck of time finding such precise info as yours, so needless to say, your work is greatly appreciated!

I am having an issue with a fresh install of OSX Lion. Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

EVGA 790i Ultra SLI

GeForce GTX 260

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600mhz 4GB

2x300GB SATA HDD

My problem is that, once I boot into the installer, none of my hard drives show up.

I have confirmed my BIOS settings from your chart in the Leopard install guide.

I have confirmed AHCI mode is enable.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers.

@ brandoc0mmand0

Thanks for your appreciation of my guides...........glad they are helpful.......:)

You will need to to check and confirm that:

1. Your installer includes and so will load imk's 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext at bootup...........are you using my USB Installer method as described in post #1?

2. Your OS X target SATA HDD need to be formatted appropriately for OS X and to match your installer setup, i.e. to be bootable, put OS X on a primary partition, formatted as either GPT and MacOS Extended (Journaled) or MBR and MacOS Extended (Journaled) and if you are installing OS X on an MBR formatted HDD, then your installer must be set for MBR too.........

Thanks for the help verdant.

I originally did not include your kexts from the support files. Put them on the installer and voila! Drives showed up, and I have successfully installed the OS. I actually used a un1beast USB with some of your included kexts (acquired from a friend) to install the OS.

However, I used mult1beast to install an audio kext and now upon booting, the OS just freezes and I cant do anything. =/

The LAN and graphics card worked on first boot, so i was trying to get the audio working and I guess I was a bit ambitious. This is still a learning process for me as I am new.

I did not do anything with the DSDT file as I am still not sure what exactly this does and what I need to do for my specific system, would you mind giving a quick explanation?

Thank you very much.

It is generally not a good idea to "mix" installation procedures............for DSDT info see post #3 in this topic.......as for audio, AFAIK your MOBO uses the Realtek ALC888S CODEC...........so, try VoodooHDA first but if that does not work then you need a legacy 888 kext + v10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext + a patched DSDT.........see post #5 in this topic........