nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

Well, thanks to your great guide i've gotten my video and ethernet working correctly and i'm almost at 100 percent! My biggest issue is the sound right now, my head seems to be spinning with intructions and can't get it to work right. Any help wold be appreciated. I have an Asus Striker 2 Extreme 790i with SupremeFX sound card.. i've looked at the post in the beginning and just can't wrap my head around it. Heres my dsdt file if anyone could hold my hand ;/

Also, i'm on a fresh install of Lion 10.7.2

thank you so much :(

Have you looked at post #5 Item 1.............if I get a chance, I will look at your dsdt file tomorrow........

• Like 1

I sure did, i'm guessing i didn't patch my dsdt file correctly.. I used dsdt editor for mac with the supplied patches are in there ;x Were those okay to use? Thank you for possibly looking at my dsdt, verdant. Thanks for all the time and effort trying to help us new guys out ;D

I sure did, i'm guessing i didn't patch my dsdt file correctly.. I used dsdt editor for mac with the supplied patches are in there ;x Were those okay to use? Thank you for possibly looking at my dsdt, verdant. Thanks for all the time and effort trying to help us new guys out ;D

I could not find the DTGP and HDEF patches for audio in your DSDT.file, so have put them in for you. Try it with the AD1998b.FIX.kext and AppleHDA.1062.kext in /S/L/E/.........let me know how it goes.........:)

If this does not work, or you want the front microphone to work, then try oldnapalm's patched (for AD1988B 7.1) VoodooHDA.kext v2.7.2 Snow Leopard/Lion.......:)

Manny Fixed DSDT.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for the speedy reply, verdant! You're help is much appreciated! Unfortunately, when i installed the dsdt and booted up, it gave me the PCI Configuration begin message and then froze ;/

Also, in an unrelated question.. everytime i switch back and forth from windows, the time seems to get messed up. I thought thats what the AppleRTC.kext was for (which I installed) but it seems to keep happening ;x OSX is a beautiful but frusturating mistress.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the speedy reply, verdant! You're help is much appreciated! Unfortunately, when i installed the dsdt and booted up, it gave me the PCI Configuration begin message and then froze ;/

Also, in an unrelated question.. everytime i switch back and forth from windows, the time seems to get messed up. I thought thats what the AppleRTC.kext was for (which I installed) but it seems to keep happening ;x OSX is a beautiful but frusturating mistress.

Have you checked out Post #4 Issue 1 on PCI Configuration issues?

For correcting OS clock differences between OS X and Windows, see my blog entry.....the AppleRTC.kext is used for controlling the Real-Time Clock, the chip used to keep the computer time even when the system is turned off but the clock time difference relates to the fact that Unix-based OS's such as OS X and Ubuntu Linux (and Linux in general) keep time in UTC. So, on shut down, by default, OS X and Ubuntu Linux reset the computer BIOS (in CMOS memory or NVRAM) clock to UTC i.e. basically GMT . However, Windows OS's (except NT I believe) generally by default assume that your computer BIOS clock time is set to your Local Time......

• 4 weeks later...

hello can you help me?

I can't install lion, I downloaded install dvd gm lion that includes almost everything you say to put in your guide. Start the installation with a CD containing verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter and not with chameleon.

He tells me "waiting for root device", how can I fix this?

hello can you help me?

I can't install lion, I downloaded install dvd gm lion that includes almost everything you say to put in your guide. Start the installation with a CD containing verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter and not with chameleon.

He tells me "waiting for root device", how can I fix this?

For me to help you, as a start I will need more details on your hardware - MOBO brand/model and nForce chipset and CPU details; DVDRW - is it SATA or PATA (IDE); HDDs - SATA and/or PATA (IDE); RAM installed; graphics card(s) installed etc. For example, see my signature...... :)

For me to help you, as a start I will need more details on your hardware - MOBO brand/model and nForce chipset and CPU details; DVDRW - is it SATA or PATA (IDE); HDDs - SATA and/or PATA (IDE); RAM installed; graphics card(s) installed etc. For example, see my signature...... :)

I'm sorry..

MOBO = NVidia GeForce 780i SLI

CPU = Intel Core2 Quad Q9550

GRAPHIC = 2 card nVidia GeForce GTS 450

RAM = 8GB DDR2

hard disk attack mode = sata or native ide

For the test I used lion 10.7.2 gm

I would use iATKOS l2 because it contains many kext already, I can use it?

If it doesn't, advise you which version to use

I'm sorry..

MOBO = NVidia GeForce 780i SLI

CPU = Intel Core2 Quad Q9550

GRAPHIC = 2 card nVidia GeForce GTS 450

RAM = 8GB DDR2

hard disk attack mode = sata or native ide

For the test I used lion 10.7.2 gm

I would use iATKOS l2 because it contains many kext already, I can use it?

If it doesn't, advise you which version to use

You should install OS X with just one graphics card installed initially.

Also, OS X and the 780i nForce chipset work best with a SATA HDD and a IDE DVDRW (set up as Master using 80 wire IDE cable).

The BIOS settings for 780i are given the BIOS template in post #1 here........one important point to follow is to set RAID Enable to [Enabled] but with each SATA channel set to RAID [Disabled] to allow you to set Serial-ATA Controller to [All Enabled].....

I have no experience with the iATKOS L2 distro but assuming it has the AppleNForceATA.kext in its installer and as part of its boot setup, then boot it with -v maxmem=2048, until you can install the slashack AppleNForceATA.kext or a derivative kext, that will allow you to boot and use > 3GB RAM.

Otherwise, follow my OS X Lion install guide if you have access to OS X Snow Leopard.

I tried reading your guide, but honestly I did not understand what to do.

I would like to install from Pennine usb in hard drive external partitioned GUID

Have you ever installed OS X on your nForce MOBO before, e.g. Leopard or Snow Leopard?

This is because my guide starts with the assumption that you already have OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.6 or later) installed and running in 64bit mode on a Mac or Hack using at least the following 64bit capable kexts in /Extra/Extensions:

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

EvOreboot.kext or OpenHaltRestart.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or Disabler.kext

HOWEVER, if you are currently running OS X Leopard, then see my nForce RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE for Snow Leopard (10.6) on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO on how to install Snow Leopard.......

If you do not have OS X installed, then see my blog install guide for OS X Snow Leopard using iATKOS S3 v2.......set up 2 GUID volumes on your HDD, then reserve the first volume for OS X Lion and install OS X Snow Leopard on the 2nd volume....

Get OS X Snow Leopard running 100% and then step by step slowly follow Part B. and then Part C. of my OS X Lion install guide, telling me where you get stuck.......

I installed Leopard using this dmg (snowleopard_10a432_userdvd), but I can not find the kext of my video card (nvidia gts 450) and if I upgrade to 10.6.8 I do not work anymore, the best that I can can install is 10.6.7

I installed Leopard using this dmg (snowleopard_10a432_userdvd), but I can not find the kext of my video card (nvidia gts 450) and if I upgrade to 10.6.8 I do not work anymore, the best that I can can install is 10.6.7

As far as I am aware, the nVidia GeForce GTS 450 card should work with the latest versions of Chameleon with Graphics Enabler=Yes........

When upgrading to 10.6.8, try using the standalone Combo updater..........what stops working when you go from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8?

When I update hangs on boot "system update ...."

It could be because your Snow Leopard installation is not "clean enough" i.e. vanilla enough to be recognised by the updater package........you could try iATKOS S3 v2........

Yes there is..........follow my iATKOS S3 v2 install guide step by step............use Disk Utility set up 2 GUID (GPT) volumes on your HDD, then reserve the first volume for OS X Lion and install OS X Snow Leopard on the 2nd volume....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I Just installed Lion 10.7.2 in my pc (signature) everything works fine, lan, video, usb,... except audio

I Tried with voodohda, applehda, but nothing else, even when booting i don't see any of these loading, the only one who shows loading something on boot is this one ALC 883 Lion 10.7.x but when i log in to the system, theres no audio at all

My motherboard uses a Realtek ALC883 codec audio, i did some search in this forum, some of them got it to work with some alc883 legacy kexts maybe...

Does anyone have this same codec working fine in Lion?

Thanks!

Hey verdant, Quick questions, not urgent at all for either one. First I am using VoodoHDA for my sound and it's distorted till I check the "Use SSE2" checkbox then it's fine. Problem is whenever I restart it gets unchecked. Do you know of anyway I can make it permanent? The other question I have is I am getting a SSD in the next few day and was wondering if there was any special kext's I would need with the nForce board to have it working correctly? I had noticed (in passing a while ago) about a kext for TRIM. Is there more than one and if so which is best for the nForce boards?

thanks.

Hi there!

I Just installed Lion 10.7.2 in my pc (signature) everything works fine, lan, video, usb,... except audio

I Tried with voodohda, applehda, but nothing else, even when booting i don't see any of these loading, the only one who shows loading something on boot is this one ALC 883 Lion 10.7.x but when i log in to the system, theres no audio at all

My motherboard uses a Realtek ALC883 codec audio, i did some search in this forum, some of them got it to work with some alc883 legacy kexts maybe...

Does anyone have this same codec working fine in Lion?

Thanks!

Have you tried oldnapalm's patched AppleHDA for Lion: http://www.mediafire.com/file/252yozzp7 ... LionGM.zip

Alternatively, have you tried janek's HDA Wizard: http://www.insanelym...c=266531&st=20# and tried

the audio patch for ALC883 (Asus P5K SE) posted by JBraddock:

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1740785

remembering to put the HDEF patch in your DSDT.aml and remove all other ALC883 related kexts such as HDAenabler, ALC8xxHDA etc.?

Did you try using the 10.7.1 AppleHDA instead of the 10.7.2 AppleHDA?

Hey verdant, Quick questions, not urgent at all for either one. First I am using VoodoHDA for my sound and it's distorted till I check the "Use SSE2" checkbox then it's fine. Problem is whenever I restart it gets unchecked. Do you know of anyway I can make it permanent? The other question I have is I am getting a SSD in the next few day and was wondering if there was any special kext's I would need with the nForce board to have it working correctly? I had noticed (in passing a while ago) about a kext for TRIM. Is there more than one and if so which is best for the nForce boards?

thanks.

For an alternative to the "Use SSE2" checkbox, you can edit "vectorize" in Info.plist by changing

<key>Vectorize</key>

<false/>

to

<key>Vectorize</key>

<true/>

For VoodooHDA problem solving see oldnapalm's topic: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=267905

As for SSID and a working nForce TRIM kext, I am not aware of any such text nor of SSIDs working directly on the nForce SATA ports.

I have overcome my nForce chipset issue with my SATA DVDRW by using two ASM1061 chipset PCI-e SATA III cards (2 eSATA, or 2 SATA, or 1 eSATA and 1 SATA port) by ASMedia: http://www.asmedia.c...&cate_index=117

I have put one card in a spare x16 PCI-e slot and one card in a spare x8 PCI-e slot.

Read all of http://www.insanelym...pic=265281&st=0 for posts of any confirmed successful use of this chipset with a SATA SSID......

Thanks for the link for the VoodoHDA, I believe I have it solved now. One really weird thing I noticed in testing it though is that whenever the song changes in iTunes the dock disappears for a few seconds. I don't think it's finder restarting because everything else is fine when it happens just the dock disappears. Have you ever encountered this?

Thanks for the link for the VoodoHDA, I believe I have it solved now. One really weird thing I noticed in testing it though is that whenever the song changes in iTunes the dock disappears for a few seconds. I don't think it's finder restarting because everything else is fine when it happens just the dock disappears. Have you ever encountered this?

I have not heard of this before nor encountered it myself......

Hey, sorry for the influx of questions but I have another. I posted it here (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279988) because I thought it would be seen by a broader base of people but have yet to get any clues. Figured I may as well ask you and see if you may have any ideas.

Thanks again.

Check out here and here................it may be of help..........

• 3 weeks later...