nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

I have OSX Lion 10.7.1 installed on my rig (in my sig). I tried to update to 10.7.2 and the system refused to boot. It got stuck at "IOATAController device blocking bus" followed by a few "AppleUSBCDC: start initDevice failed" and finally that dreaded "Still waiting for root device" error message. All of these can be bypassed by adding the "use Kernelcache yes" option in org chameleon boot (RC5 r1200) but then the system halts just before the login screen shows up without any kind of error messages or KPs. I am using a edited DSDT based system with the following extra kexts "NullCPUpowermanagement, ApplenforceATA, EvoReboot, FakeSMC, NVClockX, IOATAFamily.RootBoot, nFoceLAN, VoodooHDA for my X-Fi Titanium, and the USB 3.0 renesas driver" most of these from Verdant's support package. Graphics is enabled by EFI strings at boot. My system just works perfectly at 10.7.1 except the usual SATA DVD drives. Maybe if anyone could find a solution to install 10.7.2, I would be really thankful. Thanks to Verdant for this comprehensive and productive guide... :)

I have found the same problem........needs investigating as it is a "brick wall"...... :o

post-200327-1318712251_thumb.jpg

The install log showed no problems:

OS_X_10.7.2_Update_Installer_Log.pdf

These are the file changes after doing a 10.7.2 Combo Update on a non-booted 10.7.1 system.....

post-200327-1318711408_thumb.png

post-200327-1318711420_thumb.png

post-200327-1318711433_thumb.png

The "still waiting for root device" error message is resolved by doing the following:

1. Transfer ALL kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ to /System/Library/Extensions/, leaving /Extra/Extensions/ empty.

2. Modify your org.chameleon.Boot.plist to include

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

3. Reset ownership and permissions and force kernelcache re-creation via Terminal commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

4. For good measure, manually delete kernelcache file in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

5. Reboot into OS X 10.7.2......... :)

BTW with 10.7.2, I am using Chameleon v2.1svn r1618........

Edited by verdant

Hi Verdant, thank you for this additional info. :wallbash: However, I had already done all of these steps you suggested, before except for the new chameleon. Therefore I installed this new chameleon too and the system halted after some successful steps as it had done before yesterday (or so I had thought). This time I was frustrated and had left my PC running. When I returned, I found that the system in fact didn't halt as I wrongly assumed before. fsck was running in the background and was showing repeated "Data Underrun" and other sort of journal errors on nearly all of my GUID partitions. Since, my hard disk is OK, I terminated fsck altogether and viola, everything went fine till all I had was a blank screen suggesting graphical errors. A little google search revealed that 10.7.2 breaks functionality of EFI string based 8800 GT 512 MB cards. Henceforth all I did was to install the newest NVenabler kext 64 bit and I got my working system back again. :)

EDIT: had to remove all EFI strings from org.chameleon.boot.plist too.

Hi Verdant, thank you for this additional info. :wallbash: However, I had already done all of these steps you suggested, before except for the new chameleon. Therefore I installed this new chameleon too and the system halted after some successful steps as it had done before yesterday (or so I had thought). This time I was frustrated and had left my PC running. When I returned, I found that the system in fact didn't halt as I wrongly assumed before. fsck was running in the background and was showing repeated "Data Underrun" and other sort of journal errors on nearly all of my GUID partitions. Since, my hard disk is OK, I terminated fsck altogether and viola, everything went fine till all I had was a blank screen suggesting graphical errors. A little google search revealed that 10.7.2 breaks functionality of EFI string based 8800 GT 512 MB cards. Henceforth all I did was to install the newest NVenabler kext 64 bit and I got my working system back again. :)

EDIT: had to remove all EFI strings from org.chameleon.boot.plist too.

Sorry about that.........I had forgot to mention that I was also using NVEnabler64 for my 9800 GT GFX card.......

Glad you up and running again.....:D

@Verdant: Thanks !!! :) But it seems sleep is broken ... this issue is most likely due to graphics... the system goes to sleep but never wakes up (the screen remains black)... ;) But anyways, rest of the stuff works great... :)

I have never got sleep working on my 650i since OS X 10.5.6........and then not even on 10.5.6 with overclocked CPU and/or RAM.......the system goes to sleep but the cooling fans do not stop and the system never wakes up (the screen remains black)......

Can anyone help me? I have problem with my Ps2 keyboard. Installation was done and "not keyboard present. Please, connect you keyboard" message appear on my monitor. But when i push any button on keyboard, i can hear sound. And "alt+q" work.

And the second problem. After installation a have still waiting for root device....Then I boot my SnowLeo 10.6.6 and manually place kext nvidia ata in sys/lib/ext. Can I automate this?

I install Lion from Usb FlashDrive iAtkos L1.

Can anyone help me? I have problem with my Ps2 keyboard. Installation was done and "not keyboard present. Please, connect you keyboard" message appear on my monitor. But when i push any button on keyboard, i can hear sound. And "alt+q" work.

And the second problem. After installation a have still waiting for root device....Then I boot my SnowLeo 10.6.6 and manually place kext nvidia ata in sys/lib/ext. Can I automate this?

I install Lion from Usb FlashDrive iAtkos L1.

What are your full system details?

What are your full system details?

Asus p5n-e sli, Core 2 Duo E4400 (2gHZ @ 2,5gHZ), 2Gb ddr2-800, Ide HDD, Sata HDD, Ide DVD-RW,Palit Ati radeon X1950GT, ps2 keyboard, 2 mouse : ps2 & USB.

that keyboard worked, I use Voodoops2.kext at iAtkos menu of installation.

Why 2 mouse? When I installed SnowLeo 10.6.3 iAtkos, I faced a problem: no message about no keyboard present, but keyboard did not work. I have noticed, that this problem appears, when i use usb mouse. and decision of the problem was unplug for a few seconds keyboard. ;) Or use ps2 mouse, but in this case I have a very quick motion mouse. I have solved to unite both types of the connection mouse :D and use only usb mouse. but then no need unplug and plug keyboard under each loading the system.

When I install Lion, i try unplug Usb mouse. ps2 mouse did not work at the start of installation. And i have to plug usb mouse.

I have found output from similar problems

load Lion with -S and and consecutively enter following

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root 666

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

No problem with keyboard registration, but enterring its password 666 I wait much long and nothing do not occur. name of user - root.

Asus p5n-e sli, Core 2 Duo E4400 (2gHZ @ 2,5gHZ), 2Gb ddr2-800, Ide HDD, Sata HDD, Ide DVD-RW,Palit Ati radeon X1950GT, ps2 keyboard, 2 mouse : ps2 & USB.

that keyboard worked, I use Voodoops2.kext at iAtkos menu of installation.

Why 2 mouse? When I installed SnowLeo 10.6.3 iAtkos, I faced a problem: no message about no keyboard present, but keyboard did not work. I have noticed, that this problem appears, when i use usb mouse. and decision of the problem was unplug for a few seconds keyboard. :D Or use ps2 mouse, but in this case I have a very quick motion mouse. I have solved to unite both types of the connection mouse :P and use only usb mouse. but then no need unplug and plug keyboard under each loading the system.

When I install Lion, i try unplug Usb mouse. ps2 mouse did not work at the start of installation. And i have to plug usb mouse.

I have found output from similar problems

load Lion with -S and and consecutively enter following

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root 666

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

No problem with keyboard registration, but enterring its password 666 I wait much long and nothing do not occur. name of user - root.

Are you using the following PS/2 kexts :

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

ApplePS2Mouse.kext

Are you using the following PS/2 kexts :

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

ApplePS2Mouse.kext

how i can use it? This kexts are missing in iAtkos L1. I know only one way to install kexts - kext utility. But my system does not boot to the end. And why? My keyboard work with voodooPS2, but Lion searches for mac keyboard.

how i can use it? This kexts are missing in iAtkos L1. I know only one way to install kexts - kext utility. But my system does not boot to the end. And why? My keyboard work with voodooPS2, but Lion searches for mac keyboard.

These kexts (see post #1):

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

ApplePS2Mouse.kext

can be put in /System/Library/Extensions/ by ' drag and drop' or 'copy and paste'......and then use Terminal to repair kext ownership and permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

but you must remove VoodooPS2 kexts to try these PS/2 kexts.....

oki. I do it! but by this way: load my install again and in terminal

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/

sudo nano Info.plist

and delete

<string>DeviceSection</string>

< string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

what about my video in Lion?

oki. I do it! but by this way: load my install again and in terminal

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/

sudo nano Info.plist

and delete

<string>DeviceSection</string>

< string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

what about my video in Lion?

You need to search IM ATI graphics forum etc..........also check on netkas ATI stuff......there were solutions posted for Snow Leopard but I do not know about OS X Lion.......

Hi all, pardon me. but i have try many way to install Lion on My MSI FX400 and still failed. I have try a Macbob Guide Installation, Tony Mac, XPC but always failed.

I stuck on dsmos has arrived on Macbob installations guide even I add some bootflag like PCIRootUID, GraphicsEnabler, npci, etc. still not work,

on tonymac installations guide no hope always restart,

and with XPC hang at MBRStart.

have any one some idea to install Lion on MSI FX400? sad.gif

My Specification's :

Proc : Core i5 480M 2,66 GHz with Turbo Drive Engine

VGA : Intel HD and Nvidia Geforce GT 325M 1 GB

RAM : 4GB DDR3

HDD : 500GB

i use Install_ESD.dmg for installations method

so many thanks if someone can help me smile.gif

First of all: the best Guide i read:) thanks

but I have a big Problem:

i stuck BEFORE the installation, i'm getting "still waiting for root device" when i'm booting from USB Flash Drive to Install Lion...

my SnowLeo run well in 64 Bit so i dont know which kext should be the Problem;

i had the PCI Config Problem, but npci=0x2000 changed nothing, so I changed AppleIOAPCI... and IOF... kexts and PCI Config don't appear while booting, but i'm still getting still waiting for root device...

dont know if the Solution to put Extra/Ext to System/Lib/Ext is the rigth for me because i dont have and running Lion:)

(but I also added use kernal Cache to boot.plist)

i really dont know what to do next...maybe someone can help me, here's a screenshot from my boot sequence

post-406903-1320147054_thumb.jpg

First of all: the best Guide i read:) thanks

but I have a big Problem:

i stuck BEFORE the installation, i'm getting "still waiting for root device" when i'm booting from USB Flash Drive to Install Lion...

my SnowLeo run well in 64 Bit so i dont know which kext should be the Problem;

i had the PCI Config Problem, but npci=0x2000 changed nothing, so I changed AppleIOAPCI... and IOF... kexts and PCI Config don't appear while booting, but i'm still getting still waiting for root device...

dont know if the Solution to put Extra/Ext to System/Lib/Ext is the rigth for me because i dont have and running Lion:)

(but I also added use kernal Cache to boot.plist)

i really dont know what to do next...maybe someone can help me, here's a screenshot from my boot sequence

post-406903-1320147054_thumb.jpg

Assuming that you ahve in org. chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=x86_64</string>

<string>No</string>

Try the following:

1. Confirm that in /Extra/Extensions/ you have at least:

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

EvOreboot.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

2. In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
exit

3. Close all open folders within the Mac OS X Base System folder and in the Terminal type:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System

4. Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

5. Close the Mac OS X Base System Window and boot from the USB flash drive Mac OS X Base System volume by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the USB Mac OS X Base System Flash Drive and pressing Enter.

Assuming that you ahve in org. chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=x86_64</string>

<string>No</string>

Try the following:

1. Confirm that in /Extra/Extensions/ you have at least:

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

EvOreboot.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

2. In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
exit

3. Close all open folders within the Mac OS X Base System folder and in the Terminal type:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System

4. Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

5. Close the Mac OS X Base System Window and boot from the USB flash drive Mac OS X Base System volume by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the USB Mac OS X Base System Flash Drive and pressing Enter.

okay now we have a little Problem: i'm not home for 5 weeks:) so i cant test it, but what i can say that in my Cache Folder i've never seen one of this Files except kernelcache (on the USB Drive)

i will test this things when I'm back home:

and your are right, my boot.plist looks like this and i have this 3 kexts in my Extra Folder...i hope this will work and i came back with positive news:)

But again: Thank you very much!!

okay i've tested and...

nothing change...still waiting for root device...sad...

exatcly the same window/boot screen like in my screenshot

Have you considered going back to the original AppleIOAPCI... and IOF... kexts and trying a DSDT mod for the PCI config problem.....?

Have you considered going back to the original AppleIOAPCI... and IOF... kexts and trying a DSDT mod for the PCI config problem.....?

i cleaned the USB Drive and start from zero...

this time i want to do with DSDT...but i cant get away the PCI Config...

but, dont know, my System dont freeze I just get still waiting for root device...

can it by a Problem of USB? because normally i have to Disable USB Legacy in BIOS that my USB works correctly

also i have to say that my Device(PCI0) "function" is MUCH bigger, Name(_BBN) i dont see anywhere...dont know if this is important, DSDT is new to me

i cleaned the USB Drive and start from zero...

this time i want to do with DSDT...but i cant get away the PCI Config...

but, dont know, my System dont freeze I just get still waiting for root device...

can it by a Problem of USB? because normally i have to Disable USB Legacy in BIOS that my USB works correctly

also i have to say that my Device(PCI0) "function" is MUCH bigger, Name(_BBN) i dont see anywhere...dont know if this is important, DSDT is new to me

I will PM you....... :(

How I can use AppleHDA sound kext? Now I use voodooHDA? Asus P5N-E Sli ALC883.

See post #5 on using DSDT DTGP and HDEF patches with AppleHDA.kext v10.6.2 and a legacy (Info.plist-only) ALC883 kext in /Extra/Extensions/.......

Verdant strikes again....So I was having issue with my raid array and Verdant showed me a little trick on how to get it working on all four of my cores until applenforceata.kext is updated with raid support use maxmem=3456. I can only use half of my available ram but the system is stable finally and I will be looking forward to the updated kext whenever it may be released. Nick savage narrowed the issue down to memory. I can't wait to see what he will figure out next finally some movement on this issue! Here is some info on the subject:

http://code.google.com/p/darwin-ata/issues/detail?id=2

Does Slashack Manage this? Can we get a hold of him? If you goto the project home link it has someones email slash...@gmail.com

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1754512

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...shooting-Thread

Thanks again Verdant and Nick Savage you rock!!! :P:hysterical::D

Ah, the much complained about i680 memory issue. A lot of users ran into issues w/ just running 4 chips, over clocked or otherwise. Some resolved problems w/ bumping voltages, but most of what I read involved doing so in tandem w/ overclocking. A lot of people were blowing their ram too. I seem to recall there being lots of nebulous problems with memory combos, oft discussed on the overclockers boards. I'm running only a pair of 2gb 800mhz chips in this system at present, no overclock on the ram. (1.9v i think :dev:) At previous times I had 1/1-2gb 1,1,2,2-6gb and 2,2,2,2-8gb of ram in the thing; 8 gigs back when I was using 10.6 server and the large FIS port replicated hard drive arrays.

Ah well; I set the cpu/maxmem values down and in the process of beating the {censored} out of the storage at the moment.

*EDIT*

Well; it's definitely an issue with either the cpu/mem values.

cpus=1 maxmem=2048 results in kernel_task consuming a steady 3.5% of one core. This is happening when duping files on drives attached to my add-on card and when duping files on the nforce sata. Looks like it's possibly some more nebulous nforce related issue: apple's stuff not liking chipset or config or ahci implimentation or something along those lines.

I'm going to start bumping settings upward until the problem comes back.

*EDIT2*

Using 2 cores is not triggering the massive CPU usage. It must be related to the memory limit.

maxmem=3456 w/out the cpu flag still shows the expected 3-4% overhead for disk to disk file transfers. I guess I will leave it there and thrash/reliability test my disks now. Digging through the vague {censored} on other forums I find instances of other folks dropping maxmem for stability reasons (but nobody actually mentioning anything about their CPU utilization). Some of these are on AMD nforce systems, some Intel nforce systems and others just on core2 intel chipsets. For my own system, when I have my CPU maxed by my sata + ethernet overhead (redlining in activity monitor) for an extended period of time I seem to eventually crash (w 4gb+ ram).

Bonus side effect : transfer rate for AFP is pretty much holding around 95mb/sec now instead of spiking around, no longer CPU limited due to the previous issue.

Hi, any news on this?

Maybe its not the ram because it runs fine with cpus=1 without touching any mem settings.

And after adding core 2 u said it must be mem, but u havent tested cpus=3 yet.

Hope there will be a solution for this, coz everythings running fine except this. Have been waiting for 2 years for this to be solved.

*EDIT* BTW I also have the problem with 2 cores. With just one core its running totally fine also with full 4*1GB MEM