• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:>An error has occurred and your computer will spontanously combust to prevent further damage...
Hello all,

Let me begin by saying that I know that this is an outdated OS and virtually no one works on it anymore. That being the case, I don't think it hurts anyone to bring this up. Especially, since many users (including myself) still keep and use Tiger on a regular sometimes, daily basis.

Now then to the point. This issue has been an ongoing problem for the better part of a year or so. I've dedicated tons of my time and energy into getting this figured out and solved once and for all but i've had very little luck. I've tried many different configurations, many different versions of the OS, many different kernel versions, etc. I'm literally to the point where I just don't know what else to try.

I have attempted contacting meklort on this issue but he seems too busy to be bothered by Tiger anymore as he seems only interested in the newer Apple {censored}. So thus far I've not had much luck getting in touch with him. Totally sucks as he is probably one of the few people who really has most of the system figured out and could i'm sure provide much needed info on solving the issue with the OS. I will keep trying still as anything I can get out of him will surely save me a major migraine later on.

The Issue:
Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.x)

I've tried a copy of 10.4.4, 10.4.6, and 10.4.10 to try to get them to boot using an external HDD. Each fails at some point or another in the verbose boot. All the same...kernel panics. I just can't find the resources anymore to try to get it any further in the boot process. If anyone has a link to some kexts or something that would probably work with the Mini 10v's hardware, please shoot me a line!!! As mentioned before, I have tried MULTIPLE setups with waaaaaay too many different things to list. It's mostly just trying to find usable resources (kexts, kernels, etc) that are compatible with modern tools like Chameleon are EXTREMELY hard to come by for this OS. So the majority of all of my tests have been trial and error. Having not been an active part of the OSX86 scene for quite a long time have really proven to be working against me in this too. I too have been spoiled by the way Leo+ works and acts and am no longer used to the workings of Tiger anymore. :(

NOTE: Before anyone brings it up, Yes, each one of these copies of the OS are legally mine and were 'patched' by me to remove the single-machine checking.

Ultimately, There were no where near as many advancements made in the OSX86 community for Tiger as there are now for it's successors. So all the wonderful stuff that we all take advantage of for Leo+ simply doesn't work or wasn't built to work with/for Tiger. Anything anyone might have to add would GREATLY appreciated. I realize this isn't a top issue anymore but I still think that our capable netbooks deserve to be able to run Tiger along with everything else that's already been done. The main reason is of course, speed! Tiger uses virtually no resources. Sure it's not as 'optimized' as Leo and onwards but it still works great, especially once updated fully. Thank you for your time and I hope you like me, are eager to eventually get this one working not just for the Mini 10v, but possibly for all capable netbooks! Thanks again for you time. :)

VISITORS: Although I recommend you to read the entire thread to be update-to-date on what exactly the issues are for this, I won't force you. So if you wish to try to help or are just curious about the main problem at hand, please skip to the last post in the thread for more info on what type of assistance is needed. Thanks for you time, one day I would like to get this problem solved! :)

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
Check this info please.
http://www.projectos...?...41&hl=Tiger

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts
The netbook Version of GMA 950 wont work with Tiger :)

But whats the Error you get?

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:>An error has occurred and your computer will spontanously combust to prevent further damage...
@3.14R2, thanks but I've already checked that thread and used several resources from it. Nothin worked.

@riws, what do you mean it won't work? I realize it's not a usual GMA950 but with a patch or two it shouldnt be hard to 'trick' it into working. Afterall, it works on Leo & Snow.

Main problem is that it will not boot from the install disc. Of course as mentioned I'm sure it's because of my setup. Finding the needed files has become almost impossible. I can't really narrow it down to just one or two things. Mostly just general kernel extending issues and kernel panics. I don't really know any further details I can give.

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
The Acceleration Kext KP.

Install in Leopard or Snow Leopard to a free Partition? + newer Kernel

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Excuse my ignorance. Do you mean take the Accerleration kext from Leo or Snow and inject it into Tiger? If not where might I find this kext?

I just don't understand really what you meant in that post. ;)

Keep these few things in mind. The Mini can boot from the 10.4.4 and the 10.4.6 vanilla kernels. Apple must have changed something about the 10.4.10 kernel as the Mini reboots upon trying to use it. So the 10.4.10 kernel is a no-go. I need help finding working resources for the hardware in the Mini. All these things must be able to run along with Chameleon, as that is my bootloader of choice. I've never been one for DSDT patching and i'm not even sure that applies with Tiger, if I am wrong, please correct me and if you can point me to a user-friendly DSDT patcher, I would be more than thankful. Luckily, I already have Snow Leopard running on it and working great so if I need to DSDT patch, I should hopefully already have all the files from Snow, assuming I can still use them with Tiger that is.

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
If you patch the AppleIntelGMA950.kext of Tiger with the netbook GMA ID, it Kernel Panics during boot and you can't take the Leopard or Snow Leopard files, the aren't compatible with Tiger. So Tiger will be without gfx Acceleration. The FrameBuffer will work fine if you patch it with the right ID. Both need bin hex patching. DSDT is useless in Tiger, the ACPI Kext of Tiger does not handle _DSM Methods.

I mean in Leopard or Snow Leopard start the OSInstall.mpkg from the Tiger DVD and install Tiger to a free Partition and copy the 8.11.1 (10.4.11) Kernel (you get it from projectosx, made by Slice). If it KP with newer Chameleon, delete the AppleEFI* of Tiger.

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ok that's much clearer now thanks. So let me get this straight, even if updated all the way (given I ever get it to boot of course) the gfx driver will never fully work properly? How about all those fixes that were made by so many people to fix GMA950s. Would those possibly fix it? I have two modded distros of Tiger (Kalyway 10.4.10 & Jas 10.4.8) and i've been picking things out of them for testing. I don't really like using them as install discs though since they are so heavily modified. As mentioned, i'm trying to keep this as original/vanilla as possible for later use.

I own several real macs. If I was gonna try a fresh install of Tiger, I would use those to install it to a external HDD. Then test it on the Mini. How would that really make it work though? I've done that in the past but I still could never get it to boot properly. Basically, why would trying to boot a fresh install of it work whereas a boot from the original disc fail? wouldn't it just be easier to keep trying to get an original install restore disc of it to boot first, then install it using that? How would I delete the AppleEFI from Tiger? I'm unfamiliar with that step. Is it a kext? Lastly, as I said, I don't think i'm having major kernel errors. I have 3 kernels I can use that work with the Atom chip. Two are vanilla kernels, one from 10.4.4 and one from 10.4.6, the other was taken from the distros. Kalyway/Jas. Both of them seem to be using the same kernel to boot from and they work on the Mini, I just don't trust it because I think it is SSE2 only. i'd like to keep using the vanilla one if possible as I think it can utilize the Atom's SSE3 support. Once more correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks for the tips! :|

Edit: Ok, tried it. Fresh Install, no KP but no booting either. Is Chameleon RC4 even compatible with Tiger? It shows a verbose screen that tells me its failing to load the kexts. Lots of yellow text with 'Failed to load extension com.apple...' and below that text is 'Couldn't alloc class "AppleUSB...'. Then I get the 'Still waiting for root device' {censored}. I assume that since it clearly fails to load my kexts, that my USB drivers aren't loading either, thus no USB = no USB HDD. So what is the latest version of Chameleon I should be testing this with? Damn! My patience is wearing thin...I feel like i've tried everything there is to try with this OS.

Edit #2: After some more tinkering, After removing 'AppleEFIRuntime.kext I am left with more failure. Using different kernels yields different results. If I stick with 10.4.6's mach_kernel I no longer get those weird 'Couldn't alloc class' messages now I just get KPs. Seems only the modified kernels that cause those messages. Now I'm just getting 'commpage no match' errors for the CPU. I imagine it's an AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement issue but I couldn't located a problematic/matching kext. As usual, if light can be shed on this please do inform me. I also changed my Chameleon from RC4 to RC2. I don't notice any change. I don't think my issues were brought on by the bootloader, but from the kernel. Specifically, Slice's kernel. It doesn't seem to function with my version of Tiger. Then again, my version is 10.4.6. I haven't performed any updates yet. The following are my kexts i'm using for testing, please someone let me know if some of these are unnecessary:

AppleDecrypt.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
ApplePS2Mouse.kext
ApplePS2Trackpad.kext
fakesmc.kext

I am using fakesmc for obvious reasons but I don't know if AppleDecrypt is still needed or just causing conflicts. I'm using all the PS2 stuff because I hoped that if I got it booted, then I'd have keyboard/trackpad support but that's all guess-kexts to me. I have no idea if they will work.

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
Did you install it to a free Partition? After the installation download the 10.4.11 combo update and install it to the Tiger Partition, then the 2009-05 Security Update, now is the OS up-to-date (there are many other updates too, like Safari, QuickTime ..., but they are not important).

If you take the Slice Kernel, take AppleDecrypt.kext for Tiger, I got many Program crashes with fakesmc in Tiger. Dont care about SSE2 vs SSE3, it wont take the SSE3 Emulation path if you have it.

Myself, I took the XxX 10.4.11 v2 DVD and installed it in Snow Leopard to an USB-HDD.

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Well I tried to add this up two nights ago but the cursed forum has been crashing a lot for me lately, with database errors that won't let you post or view the forum. I assume they are performing maintenance or something. I would have just posted yesterday but I was a bit busy so I couldn't find a moment to. Anyway, now you know why I haven't posted lately.

Got it! 3.14R2, the link you provided may prove useful soon when I start patching things up. riws, you provided very helpful insight that I didn't previously try. As expected, several things currently do not function properly but that can now be looked into being fixed. List of hardware and their statuses as of my current/short test:

QE/CI = Not working
Audio = Not working Working using VoodooHDA.kext, horrible hissing noise, needs more fixes (thanks riws)
Bluetooth = Working (needs off switch fix) On/Off switch now fixed using usual device-injection into the BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext from within IOBluetoothFamily.kext
Airport/WiFi = Not working Working using pci-injection into AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext from within IO80211Family.kext
Keyboard = Working
Trackpad = Not working Working using ApplePS2Trackpad.kext in mkext
Ethernet = Untested Working using RealtekR1000.kext
SDHC reader = Untested Working out of box, supports SDHC formats too.
USB = Working
Battery Meter = Not working Working using AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
Wake from Sleep = Not working Untestable, cannot check the status of this as USB legacy booting is enabled so I can test Tiger off the external USB HDD. I forgot about this, so I had a duh moment.

I may have forgotten a thing or two and they will be added in later as needed. Currently though, as you can see, I have a lot of things to fix. Now it's just a matter of finding the fixes (or making them), applying them and hoping for the best.

Now the only request I have left for those reading are any solutions to the issues i've listed and/or any possible tools that may be useful and still working under the Tiger OS. Many things are ONLY made for Leo and above so finding the tools/resources needed to fix many of these issues will still be a rather large challenge. Once more, thanks to those who tried to help me out. I will be working on this over the next couple weeks trying to pick out the issues and kill them one by one. Hopefully progress will be steady but I can't guarantee that. I will do my best to post updates as I have them so they are here for both reference to others and for myself.

I got many Program crashes with fakesmc in Tiger. Dont care about SSE2 vs SSE3, it wont take the SSE3 Emulation path if you have it.

Myself, I took the XxX 10.4.11 v2 DVD and installed it in Snow Leopard to an USB-HDD.

Are you trying to suggest to not use fakesmc with Tiger then? If you were using a distro copy of Tiger that may be to blame for your crashes. So many modifications go into those distros that I simply won't use them. It's much safer to just build your own custom copy of the OS with only needed patches/fixes rather than rely on a pre-modded distro that usually adds in way more fixes than your machine needs, those 'fixes' can be dangerous if used on a machine that doesn't require them. Thus far though, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary happening with this install. Many things don't work sure but that I expected and overall the performance is fine, I just need to try to fix a few things here and there.

UPDATE: You were right riws. Trying to boot off a freshly built mkext gave me KP because of fakesmc. Seems like not much time went into it's creation/testing for Tiger. What a shame. Oh well. Just outta curiousity, which command have you been using to test/build your /Extra mkexts? I'm using this...

kextcache -v 1 -t -z -a i386 -m <mkext> <ExtFolder>

Technically, I suppose I should be using the -l flag to make sure they load properly but sometimes I experience loading failures when using it, so now I just don't.

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
FakeSMC and Decrypt IMO perform the same function (they are overlapping at some point) so use ether one (IMO FakeSMC might be better solution functionality wise). Apple uses encryption for some binaries and the above kexts are used to decrypt these binaries (this decryption is performed by hardware on real Macs) this hardware is not present on PCs, therefore a software alternative is needed. A way to prevent Hackintoshing...

I've used the post linked for initial tests with my MacBook-look-alike notebook (customized to replicate hardware used in MacBook1,1 - the first Intel Mac released). I've used a genuine X.4.6 DVD (from my friend's MacBook Pro) to install OS X. It proved to be working with vanilla kernel and such (with some exceptions as usual :thumbsup_anim: ).

If I remember correctly some things like wireless worked only in X.4.6 (any update to a newer version would make wireless not loading on boot). Restart/Shutdown didn't work (no complete power-off) due to vanilla kernel used. You can find some more info in my posts in the topic. Having the above issues, I've decided to try Leopard first (which was working better), then ended up installing SL X.6.8.

IMO you should try using DSDT (by the most part it is not version specific - read should be back-wards compatible).

Trackpad has been working with Slice's kexts, just be sure to edit Info.plist inside ApplePS2Mouse.kext like this:
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	 <string>Root</string>
This is required in order for the kext to load properly from /E/E.

SD slot might work with VoodooSDHC (it does work on some Dells but usually doesn't work with HPs :thumbsup_anim: ).

QE/CI has been working with DSDT edits and Graphics Enabler=Yes. But as already mentioned, netbooks have different version of GMA.

Don't know about audio, as I've no idea what audio hardware is used in Minis. Mine Conexant used to work with AppleAzal.kext (it is actually still working in SL).

Wireless again, don't know what hardware is used in Minis, so can't tell for sure. But I suspect a kext or DSDT edit might be needed (provided it can be made to work like this).

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Thanks for the link very interesting stuff there! Maybe I can find a way to reproduce the injection of hardware ids into Tiger like meklort's tool does for my copy of SL. Sadly, i'm gonna have to go along with riws on this one. DSDT patching is useless in Tiger as I don't believe it was implemented until Leo. :thumbsup_anim: So that's going to make patching a lot more work. VoodooSDHC would be really nice...if Tiger could run it. I think all Voodoo kexts are for Leo only. :thumbsup_anim: I'm currently using GraphicsEnabler flag but sadly it's not giving me native res. I could force it to load native res but I still wouldn't have CI/QE so it's not worth it until I can patch it into the GMA950 kexts or something.

I would like to provide you with more details about the hardware of the 10v but i'm having a hard time locating it myself using google. Could anyone provide me with a little instruction for using Slice's Tiger version of iasl to retrieve my Mini's hardware info? He also offers a shell script that does something too. I don't wanna run it without knowing what it does first though. Any insight?

I was planning to see if there was some way to use the tools and resources I already have working on the Mini for SL. They are essentially DSDT patches but in the form of dylib modules and sadly, I don't know of a reader to look at them with. All of the resources i'm talking about are from NetbookInstaller by meklort. You can grab it here and examine it's package contents if you are curious. For SL, since I updated to 10.6.6, I was using v0.8.5pre:

http://code.google.c...book-installer/

I have already run into many issues trying to find 'clone' kexts for my current driver setup in SL to use on Tiger. Most of the kexts I have for SL are really only for SL, or Leo. Many of them aren't made for Tiger, at least I can't find them. I'm not sure how much help this is but here is a list of kexts I believe would assist in perfecting Tiger on the Mini, if I could find them of course:

ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext (not sure what it does)
HDAEnabler.kext
IOSDHCBlockDevice.kext (don't know if I need it, SD slot currently works)
LegacyAppleHDA.kext
LidSleep.kext
VaioPEnabler.kext (not sure what this does)
VerbHelper.kext (not sure what this does)

I tried googling these but as I said, I think they are only for Leo/SL. I find myself having to resort to using old Tiger distro discs just to try to find some possible fixes or patches. I don't really have many fixes left to do sadly though, they are the most difficult ones to fix. I'm using my previous post as a checklist for what is done and what isn't. Thanks for all the help though you guys! :blink:

----------POST MERGE----------
I forgot to mention that I am trying to keep this install as vanilla as possible. The fewer system files I have to change the better. I'm trying to make it so this is as simple to reproduce later as possible, in the event something screws up my install that is.

DSDT patching is very nice for Leopard but the only way I know how to modify things to make them work with different hardware in Tiger is the 'old-fashioned' way, which is to actually edit the .plist files of a current system kext. Is there any other way in Tiger? Maybe something I overlooked or never saw back when Tiger was big in the OSX86 community? I really don't want to start editing and swapping files from the S/L/E folder. If I have to then I have to but as I said, i'd love to avoid it if there is a better alternative.

----------POST MERGE #2----------
In hopes of trying to obtain useful, hardware info for the Mini, I just tried running this command on the working, near-perfect install of SL, taken from the link provided by 3.14r2.

ioreg -PIODeviceTree -lxw0 >ioreg10v.txt

I was provided with the proper txt file with what appears to be tons of hardware information. Not being familiar with it, I don't have any clue what to do with it. I have attached the file in this post. If anyone can shed some light on how I can use it, please feel free to enlighten me. :blink:

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Sadly, i'm gonna have to go along with riws on this one. DSDT patching is useless in Tiger as I don't believe it was implemented until Leo.

I might be wrong insisting on this, but AFAIK DSDT loading is determined by the boot loader used. In other words whenever DSDT is loaded or not, depends on how Chameleon can handle this in Tiger. On other hand, as Riws mentioned, some functions (implemented in DSDT) may not be avalable/supported in Tiger. Therefore I must admit that, DSDT patching in Tiger, probably would not be as useful (if usefull at all) as it is for Leo or even more in SL.

VoodooSDHC would be really nice...if Tiger could run it. I think all Voodoo kexts are for Leo only

If you say SD slot works, then there is nothing to fix with VoodooSDHC ketxt. Don't fix what's not broken :) I've probably have been writing my previous replay, while you had your post edited, so overlooked this one...

...but i'm having a hard time locating it myself using google...

You could use several methods for this:
Linux Live CD > Terminal >
lspci -vnn > ~/Desktop/lspci.txt
Which (if I'm not mistaken) should create a lspci.txt file on the Desktop. The above file is a list of devices installed in the netbook.
The other method is to use Leo/SL on the netbook and run this application. Unfortunately it is not Tiger compatible.

...iasl to retrieve my Mini's hardware info...

Not sure how you could use iasl for this purpose :) iasl is used to compile/decompile ACPI tables (such as DSDT).

I tried googling these but as I said, I think they are only for Leo/SL. I find myself having to resort to using old Tiger distro discs just to try to find some possible fixes or patches.

I don't think you are going to need the above listed. They most likely would not be useful at all in Tiger. These days most of them are replaced by Chameleon/DSDT fixes. As you can see there less and less patched kexts and more "clean" workarounds. Unfortunately Tiger is left behind with this new features.

ioreg

It is a IORegistryExplorer output file (some sort of Device manager alternative, but has much different purpose). It basically represents how OS X "sees" your hardware and it is a very detailed information. Exploring this will help you to see what and how is working/not working. An irreplaceable tool for troubleshooting. It is also an endless source of information (all ACPI tables could be extracted from it for instance). In short it is very helpful if you know how to use it.

I'm afraid it could be much nontrivial task, to make Tiger work without all the stuff DSDT/Chameleon has to offer.

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

I might be wrong insisting on this, but AFAIK DSDT loading is determined by the boot loader used. In other words whenever DSDT is loaded or not, depends on how Chameleon can handle this in Tiger. On other hand, as Riws mentioned, some functions (implemented in DSDT) may not be avalable/supported in Tiger. Therefore I must admit that, DSDT patching in Tiger, probably would not be as useful (if usefull at all) as it is for Leo or even more in SL.

How would I test this exactly? Not much experience in playing with DSDT patching. I have one already made for SL, do you think it could be used as-is for Tiger for testing?

If you say SD slot works, then there is nothing to fix with VoodooSDHC ketxt. Don't fix what's not broken :) I've probably have been writing my previous replay, while you had your post edited, so overlooked this one...

Yeah, sorry about that. I was actually trying to ask if I should use it to gain SDHC support? I haven't tested that yet. Regular SD cards work fine though and I have always felt the same way. If it ain't broke... :)

You could use several methods for this:
Linux Live CD > Terminal >

lspci -vnn > ~/Desktop/lspci.txt
Which (if I'm not mistaken) should create a lspci.txt file on the Desktop. The above file is a list of devices installed in the netbook.
The other method is to use Leo/SL on the netbook and run this application. Unfortunately it is not Tiger compatible.

Yes, I'm an Ubuntu user from time to time so I knew I could pop into that to test if needed. I just didn't know if that command would be useful to use or not. Never needed to use it really. If that tool doesn't work on Tiger, can I still use it on say SL to get what I need from it? Thanks for the command though, i'll be sure to use it.

Not sure how you could use iasl for this purpose :) iasl is used to compile/decompile ACPI tables (such as DSDT).

Oh, well that's good to know. Don't know if it'll help but if DSDT patching works on Tiger then it could prove useful somehow.

I don't think you are going to need the above listed. They most likely would not be useful at all in Tiger. These days most of them are replaced by Chameleon/DSDT fixes. As you can see there less and less patched kexts and more "clean" workarounds. Unfortunately Tiger is left behind with this new features.

Fair enough, I figured as much but guess I was hoping to get pointed to a link for one of two without having to search tons of internet pages on my own. I prefer the clean approach myself but I don't think i'm gonna be able to get that lucky with this OS.

It is a IORegistryExplorer output file (some sort of Device manager alternative, but has much different purpose). It basically represents how OS X "sees" your hardware and it is a very detailed information. Exploring this will help you to see what and how is working/not working. An irreplaceable tool for troubleshooting. It is also an endless source of information (all ACPI tables could be extracted from it for instance). In short it is very helpful if you know how to use it.

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear on that one. I knew what it was for I just wasn't sure how much of the information it contained that I'd actually be able to use to 'clean-up' the system. I'd like it to have good power-management support and all that but I don't know if it's something i'll be able to add into it.

Ultimately, I guess I really would just need assistance with patching up the remaining things on the list. Graphics, Audio & Wireless. If the DSDT patches work, i'll try it that way. I hope I don't need to recompile it bc I don't know how. Once again, never needed to. I simply don't remember how to patch up the gfx drivers anymore. I haven't needed to use the device injection technique for several years now. I guess I just need the simplest, most fool-proof guide I can find for the remaining ones. Unless I could get lucky with DSDT that is. :)

Thanks for the much needed info though, 3.14r2! :D

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
Try these 2 Kexts out, FrameBuffer and Sound, delete AppleHDA.kext

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ok, tried out both kexts. FrameBuffer fixed the screen resolution, it's the actual size of the screen now (1024x576) but as you said before, no QE/CI though, gonna have to try to fix that. :unsure:

The other kext, took me a while to get working. Guess it wasn't being loaded properly. I used this time to swap out AppleDecrypt for fakesmc again for another go. I don't know if Decrypt was causing issues but after the swicth I finally got Voodoo loaded properly. The sound works! Sadly, neither mic seems to be picking up a signal, I tried testing both. The headphone jack works. The only bad thing with that now is there is a horrible static noise generated from using the port.

UPDATE: I couldn't hear it before because my AC drowned it out but the awful hissing, static noise is present in the speakers too. It's very bad and the sound is ALWAYS at max volume upon boot. I'm sure that this is all due to an early Voodoo driver. I can't believe you found one for Tiger. I could have sworn they were all made for Leo. Glad to be wrong though. :D

Thanks riws! Now I need to figure out how to tweak these and fix the remaining issues they have.

UPDATE #2: I tried adding in the SL version of the DSDT I have for this system. I tried letting Chameleon boot Tiger using it and I noticed that it didn't break anything but it seems maybe it does do something. After using it and booting up, the audio volume remains where I left it (muted) instead of being full-blast every boot. Other than that though I can't tell if it does anything or not. It could just all be coincidence though too.

UPDATE #3: Just noticed this. Everytime I try to rebuild an mkext for my Extra folder, I keep getting KPs because of fakesmc. I think because I don't use the "-l" option when making them so the kexts are being loaded in improper orders. I have to -f load all drivers or not use an mkext in Extra to avoid the KPs. Does anyone know how I can generate an mkext for Extra so they all load properly and it doesn't exclude any kexts? I'm using the same command I posted a few posts back. Thanks!

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Figured another post was in order as I have updated and fixed several more things. As usual, my 'checklist' post has all the information updated on it already. I'm trying to make sure to keep that up-to-date. All that is left to fix now is the following:

QE/CI = I don't know how i'm going to fix this as riws has made it sound impossible. I don't think it is but don't know how to fix it. I already tried device-injecting AppleIntelGMA950 but it didn't give the expected results.
Wake from Sleep/Hibernation = Hibernation I don't care much about and I don't think it works in SL but waking from sleep I would like working. Again, not sure how to fix it though.

UPDATE: I'm a moron. I forgot that on the Mini, waking from sleep doesn't work UNLESS USB legacy booting is disabled in the BIOS. Since i'm testing Tiger on a USB HDD (no room on internal for a new partition), I have to have that option enabled for the time being. So, wake from sleep testing will have to wait. :(

Audio/Output/Inputs = The device has sound thanks to riws' Voodoo kext but it's flawed. No audio inputs work, and the static/hissing is just really bad. Clearly, more needs to be done. I'm not entirely sure how to though.

I imagine more could be done to perfect it but it's beyond my level of expertise. As usual thanks to everyone for all the help but sadly, I could use a little more.

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
Take a look Info.plist of VoodooHDA.kext, Nodes and Mixer, there you can tweak the driver for your needs.

For QE/... you have to hex edit the AppleIntelGMA950.kext with the notebook GMA ID 27ae.

Which Kernel do you have?

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Thanks for the tips but clearly that's all stuff i've already been doing for my fixes/patches listed above. That's last resort stuff to me. Besides, I've found slightly updated versions of the VoodooHDA kext for Tiger and thus far it seems to be working better. I don't notice the hissing/static with this one. Thanks though. :)

Ok, hexedit it huh? I should have thought of that. You got a decent editor to use for such a task, or will anything work?

Kernel = Slice's kernel, version = 8.11.1.

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
The static noise comes from the Mic, the Mic Volume in Mixer is just lower.

http://www.suavetech.../0xed/0xed.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy