Fix: VoodooHDA KP (10.6.8 + 10.7.x)

AndersenTech

58 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

just wanted to let you know that this tool forks perfectly for my XFi Titanium. No KPs anymore :--)

All I did was to change IOPCIClassMatch to IOPCIPrimaryMatch and adding the correct ID.

It would probably also work without this edit..

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi AndersenTec, very grateful that I found your kext loader as now I do not need to have any longer the VoodooHDA kext in the S/L/E or E/E folder and I do not have those kernel panic at startup.

What I noticed is if I used the app you have provided the kext that was injected was working fine with 2 minor problem:

1. The microphone was not working

2. The Audio was not automatically played in the headphone when the headphone jack was insterted in

So I swithched to my old HDA with the patcher you have provided. This old kext of mine VoodooHDA.kext.zip works fine in terms of microphone and audio autamatically enabled when a headphone is plugged in but does not allow to adjust the volume using the slide from the menu bar icon or the dedicated buttons on my keyboard that with your kext are working fine.

I was wondering if you could merge the two kexts so to have one version that:

1. Enables the MIC

2. Enables the Audio Switch Automatically when headphones are inserted

3. Enables the audio slide function.

Hope you can help, and thanks a lot for what you have done so far.

Thank you very much it works wonderfully, I was near at a loss I have a couple of Latitude D620 and was nearly giving them up two KP on 5 starts ...

even sleep work's very nice.

Thank you for this wonderfully crafted tool.

:D :D :D

Works great on my Dell Latitude D620 running OSX Lion 10.7.3

using the voodooHDA.kext from EDP 2.2 from osxlatitude dot com's site

I installed VoodooLoader_Installer.app to install and then

I used VoodooPatcher to patch it, got mic again

Good job and great work!

Seems to be working with my custom voodooHDA.kext and X-fi Titanium soundcard!

I normally have to cross my fingers to see if I don't get a kernel panic or even get sound working (sometimes have to boot several times to get it to work).

after I patched the voodooLoader I get this terminal vd_startup windows popping up. This is part of the loader right? Is there a way to hide this at startup?

Thank you so much!

-- Edit --

I don't have KP's anymore but using the VoodooLoader still gives me a random chance of VoodooHDA loading properly. Sometimes everything loads quickly and works perfectly, other times I get the loading spinning wheel when I move my mouse over the volume menubar icon until it turns grey.

Any Idea what could be the cause of this?

I am building my first Hackintosh and I found VoodooHDA, hoping it would solve my audio problems. I am using OS 10.6.3 (upgraded from a retail 10.6.0 disk) and loading VoodooHDA seemed to have fixed my lack of audio, until I rebooted for the first time, and then KERNEL PANIC! (kind of cool to see that on a PC). I then discovered that my problem was probably due to the fact that my graphics card had an HDMI output and I also had on-board audio. I then found this thread and installed Voodooloader and that solved my Kernel Panic problem.

I too, tried to keep the Terminal window from coming up after boot by checking the appropriate box under Preferences->Accounts_>Login Items, but I also found that it had no effect. Is there a solution to keep the terminal window from coming up in the process? I thought I followed the appropriate steps in this thread.

Thanks for the great tool!

Hi AndersenTec, very grateful that I found your kext loader as now I do not need to have any longer the VoodooHDA kext in the S/L/E or E/E folder and I do not have those kernel panic at startup.

What I noticed is if I used the app you have provided the kext that was injected was working fine with 2 minor problem:

1. The microphone was not working

2. The Audio was not automatically played in the headphone when the headphone jack was insterted in

So I swithched to my old HDA with the patcher you have provided. This old kext of mine VoodooHDA.kext.zip works fine in terms of microphone and audio autamatically enabled when a headphone is plugged in but does not allow to adjust the volume using the slide from the menu bar icon or the dedicated buttons on my keyboard that with your kext are working fine.

I was wondering if you could merge the two kexts so to have one version that:

1. Enables the MIC

2. Enables the Audio Switch Automatically when headphones are inserted

3. Enables the audio slide function.

Hope you can help, and thanks a lot for what you have done so far.

I'll take a look into this, this seems very interesting. This might take a while considering I haven't "merged" kexts before

Seems to be working with my custom voodooHDA.kext and X-fi Titanium soundcard!

I normally have to cross my fingers to see if I don't get a kernel panic or even get sound working (sometimes have to boot several times to get it to work).

after I patched the voodooLoader I get this terminal vd_startup windows popping up. This is part of the loader right? Is there a way to hide this at startup?

Thank you so much!

-- Edit --

I don't have KP's anymore but using the VoodooLoader still gives me a random chance of VoodooHDA loading properly. Sometimes everything loads quickly and works perfectly, other times I get the loading spinning wheel when I move my mouse over the volume menubar icon until it turns grey.

Any Idea what could be the cause of this?

I should have an update for this soon that will log the problems :)

I am building my first Hackintosh and I found VoodooHDA, hoping it would solve my audio problems. I am using OS 10.6.3 (upgraded from a retail 10.6.0 disk) and loading VoodooHDA seemed to have fixed my lack of audio, until I rebooted for the first time, and then KERNEL PANIC! (kind of cool to see that on a PC). I then discovered that my problem was probably due to the fact that my graphics card had an HDMI output and I also had on-board audio. I then found this thread and installed Voodooloader and that solved my Kernel Panic problem.

I too, tried to keep the Terminal window from coming up after boot by checking the appropriate box under Preferences->Accounts_>Login Items, but I also found that it had no effect. Is there a solution to keep the terminal window from coming up in the process? I thought I followed the appropriate steps in this thread.

I'm still looking into this. To be honest I haven't really had any time to really sit down and look at this project. Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to look at all of the problems and fix it.

So, today I was experimenting with some code and made the Terminal windows disappear when the script executes. You can use this if you want (and all the people who can't wait)! This is not a very well executed fix, but it works for now. You will still need to patch VoodooLoader with your custom next (if you use one) as it overwrites the old installation. The download is at the Google Code page

http://code.google.com/p/voodoo-launcher/

AndersonTech,

Success! (sort of). I installed the new VoodooHDA Launcher and the terminal window still appears after boot, but is closes automatically. I still had a few kernel panics, so I looked at the system.log and found that there was another (different version) VoodooHDA.kext that was being installed on boot. I uninstalled VoodooHDA by running the command: voodooHDA-uninstall.

I repaired permissions and rebuilt the caches using ######. I then shut the system down and restarted it. No kernel panic.

Looking in my System Preferences, and opening VoodooHDA, I get a couple of instances of Error: Wrong Channels Number 0.24

Under System Preferences -> Sound, I no longer have my "Green" output, it is labeled Unknown, but playing a CD demonstrates that the output is functional.

I don't know about the HDMI audio on the nVidia card, I am assuming that having both of these audio devices present is what has led to my problems. I don't know if there is a way to make a custom kext to fix my conflicts or not.

Thanks for the fix, I will look forward to your next revision! If you can offer any advice on my VoodooHDA configuration, I would appreciate it. I am totally new at doing this and I don't have a lot of experience poking around with OSX kexts.

Thanks!

Matt

AndersonTech,

Success! (sort of). I installed the new VoodooHDA Launcher and the terminal window still appears after boot, but is closes automatically. I still had a few kernel panics, so I looked at the system.log and found that there was another (different version) VoodooHDA.kext that was being installed on boot. I uninstalled VoodooHDA by running the command: voodooHDA-uninstall.

I repaired permissions and rebuilt the caches using ######. I then shut the system down and restarted it. No kernel panic.

Looking in my System Preferences, and opening VoodooHDA, I get a couple of instances of Error: Wrong Channels Number 0.24

Under System Preferences -> Sound, I no longer have my "Green" output, it is labeled Unknown, but playing a CD demonstrates that the output is functional.

I don't know about the HDMI audio on the nVidia card, I am assuming that having both of these audio devices present is what has led to my problems. I don't know if there is a way to make a custom kext to fix my conflicts or not.

Thanks for the fix, I will look forward to your next revision! If you can offer any advice on my VoodooHDA configuration, I would appreciate it. I am totally new at doing this and I don't have a lot of experience poking around with OSX kexts.

Thanks!

Matt

Out of curiosity to you have a nVidia GeForce 240GT (or similar card)?

• 2 weeks later...

Found a simple fix to my problem of not being able to controll the audio volume in the kext:

In essence in the info.plist

change from false to true the below

<key>VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix</key>

<falsetrue/>

and if the volume is to low

<key>VoodooHDAEnableHalfVolumeFix</key>

<falsetrue/>

Credit to this post

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355&st=400&p=8478entry8478

Hi, sorry for my english

I Have asus p5b deluxe and with lion i Have some sound problems

With applehda not see device

Stock vodoo only one out line and no kp

With modified vodoo see all out line but 50% Times kp

Your method can help me?

If yes:

Can indicate me the exact files i must delete to sle?

After how can use the modified vodoo?

I have upgraded to 10.7.4 but this version seems not to like the kext injected and gives a kernel panic. Not sure if I am the only one that faced such problem, i will appreciate if you could share your experience and possible solutions.

Thanks every one

Just noted that I had to get rid off of the AppleHDA.kext, done that and the kernel panic no longer happens but the sound is very much distorted so I am back to square one. Has any one got a voodoohda.kext 10.7.4 compatible version? Any other solution or work around will be also very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Installed VoodooLoader, but no sound. I can see the speaker icon enabled now on my menubar and input output devices are appearing in the settings but still cant hear any sound. Any suggestions??

BTW i have Intel HD audio with Intel HD 3000 Graphics HDMI.

Also i cant find any Voodoo or AppleHDA kext in extensions folder, is it supposed to be like this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...