steam & source games

curlyboy

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any trouble with source games launching through steam my steam works just great and so does all the games ive tried except source games l4d l4d2 tf2 , When i launch them they instantly quit like i just exited the game ,, thanks

Tried it all no source game will launch well they launch but just exit soon as , work perfect in snow leopard tho and all other games work great in lion ut2k4 doom3 quakelive , did notice tho if i start ut2004 through steam it does same as source games just starts to launch then exits

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved , Although my XFX ATI HD4870 ( 512 ) works out of the box in order for source games to run i had to add

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string></dict>

to my org.chameleon.Boot.plist or your com.apple.boot.plist

all my source games run great now

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I do have to say, I have tried a number of versions. I even compiled the latest version from the trunk.... I can't find one that has worked for my card. Its really weird, because I have what seems full QE/CI. I still don't know if it is a problem with Chameleon, or with the way I enabled my card. It is a Radeon HD 4550, and because Lion doesn't have an ATIRadeon4500.kext anymore, I put my device ID into ATIRadeon4600.kext instead. It works just fine now. I also ran netkas' OpenGL Extensions Viewer test, and it passed all of the 2.x tests... Do you have any ideas? Thanks!

Don't know much about ATI cards but someone who does could help you better if you could be clear about what the actual problem is.

From what you have said so far it looks like you have working hardware acceleration.

Make sure OpenGL Extensions Viewer is not using the Apple Software Renderer. Post your scores.

What version of Chameleon are you guys using? And can you post you boot file, I would like to try it. ;)

Im using , Chameleon v2.1svn r1581

i use chameleon wizard that will download and install it for you

Thanks. I do have to say, I have tried a number of versions. I even compiled the latest version from the trunk.... I can't find one that has worked for my card. Its really weird, because I have what seems full QE/CI. I still don't know if it is a problem with Chameleon, or with the way I enabled my card. It is a Radeon HD 4550, and because Lion doesn't have an ATIRadeon4500.kext anymore, I put my device ID into ATIRadeon4600.kext instead. It works just fine now. I also ran netkas' OpenGL Extensions Viewer test, and it passed all of the 2.x tests... Do you have any ideas? Thanks!

problem i had was i had full QE/CI out of the box but some things like steam wouldn't recognise my card hence no source games after i added graphics enabler to the boot problem was solved

You have a 4xxx right? How do those work when there is no ATI4500Controller.kext anymore?

EDIT: Sorry, urs is 4870...

my card is XFX HD4870

with this one ATI4800Controller.kext

although my card works out of the box i still need use graphics enabler in the boot not to make it work but to make other programs aware of it and only ones I've seen that don't see card in system was source games

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Question: I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9400 with a Radeon Mobility x1400, running OSX 10.7.4. I have the same problem with source games, and quite a few other games as well. They launch and quit almost simultaneously. I tried adding GraphicsEnabler=Yes to my boot.plist, but I can't boot with that flag enabled. No KP or anything, it just stalls out and doesn't move forward after loading the kernel. Any ideas?

• 5 months later...