sleep mode not working automatically

alucard_xs

5 posts in this topic

From my research about Auto-Sleep, there are few reasons i encountered while having my hackintosh

the first few days i had working auto-sleep with no problems, but after i changed hardware, software and others, problems with auto-sleep started to appear.

one of the first first thing to try, is to remove ANY hardware other then your graphics card and the HDD running OSX.

(no cd-rom, no LEDs-for both hdd activity and power, no other HDDs, no PCI/PCIe), and of course nothing more then Keyboard and a mouse (for testing even without them. just for operating)

Oh, BTW one more thing is clean install, nothing else besides fresh system.

after doing all above, this is the time for the first test, set Energy Saver to 10 minutes Auto-sleep, and check the box to put hard-disk to sleep if it's unchecked, wait at least 13 minutes (if auto-sleep still not working on exact 10 min, there may be a 2-3 min delay).

IF your system has gone to sleep, then there might be something either software/hardware side to cause this,

start by adding things one at a time, until Auto-sleep Bricked.

IF your system still hasn't gone to sleep, first check to see if your drive ever going to sleep (you can check it with CHUD Tools, SpindownHD.app), if it is, then i probably can't help much cause that's all i encountered till now.

if it's not going to sleep, then there might be a problem with your hdd causing your system to disable Auto-sleep, in my case i had HDD with High raising of LLC (Load Cycle Count) which cause the drive to never sleep.

i'll write the conclusion of this post

Auto-sleep can be bricked by a lot of factors.

Mainly, TSSTcorp CDROMs are the most common problem, this can be bypassed by inserting any CD to the CDROM(even blank)

Some reported LEDs to create auto-sleep problem

As for myself as posted above, i found HDD can cause Auto-sleep problems

There are SOFTWARES, which can brick auto-sleep, so if it's working fine when no app open, then check what app causing this.

I really hope i didn't forgot anything, and hope this will help those without auto sleep

Last thing is, if all above didn't help, then you can try just the auto-sleep script, this will solve the problem for sure, but in a 'workaround' way, if you wanna get to the bottom of things, then start digging :);)