LION on a ASUS Sabertooth x58 | FINALLY!

con31

15 posts in this topic

After a full day messing around I finally got lion booting perfectly on my Sabertooth board. It's running buttery smooth. I will compile a full guide soon. Below are some pics for now. Enjoy! (i have resized them to 720p to minimized the file size)

info.png

info2.png

mission_control.png

So I would love to see what drivers your using (kexts) and dsdt file. I couldn't get the dsdt file from the dsdt database to work for me from tony's site. I ended up using someone else's Asus file and it magically worked.

Chance I could get you to make a tarbal of your extras folder :(

So I would love to see what drivers your using (kexts) and dsdt file. I couldn't get the dsdt file from the dsdt database to work for me from tony's site. I ended up using someone else's Asus file and it magically worked.

Chance I could get you to make a tarbal of your extras folder :(

I will update the OP when i have some time later this evening. I've install lion over a SL install. But here's briefly what i did.

NOTE: You must use a GUID partition for this guide to work.

FIRST and foremost, here are my main specs:

CPU: i7 960

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x58

Graphics: EVGA GTX 460 1gb SuperClocked.

Hard Drives: 160gb SATA (for osx), 1TB SATA (for my win7 os)

1. I used the IATKOS S3 v2 distro to install SL 10.6.3.

-before installing, i created two partitions. One of 8gb and another for the OSX. (You will see why when you view the guide below).

2. Click customize and leave everything default except:

-Bootloader: Chameleon 2.0 RC5

-Drivers: SATA/IDE - Intel, Jmicron, VIA

-NO VIDEO drivers or enablers.

3. After install, boot to SL.

4. Install combo update 10.6.7 and reboot. Then 10.6.8.

-When installing 10.6.8, do not reboot. Install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the following options:

-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], System Utilities, Kexts/ethernet/Realtek 81xx, bootloader/Chameleon(or the newest one)

5. Install the Official Nvidia drivers.

6. Reboot.

7. i used this guide to install LION.

NOTE: you will need to back up your 10.6.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext and copy it over to the 8gb "installer" partition (~/system/library/extentions) in order to boot to the installer. After you install LION, you will need to restore the 10.6.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext to you LION(OS) partition using terminal. (i booted back to installer to use the terminal)

8. When you have successfully installed LION, you will need to boot using "-v npci=0x2000", just the first boot.

9. When fully booted, you might need to reinstall you ethernet drivers using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

- Once completed, everything will look perfect.

The only thing not working is the "sleep" function which it should be simple to fix. The HDMI Audio is not working but should also be simple to fix just haven't had enough time.

Again, I will update OP with a more detailed (with pictures) guide.

Also, to answer your question about the Extra folder, I did not use any.

I will update the OP when i have some time later this evening. I've install lion over a SL install. But here's briefly what i did.

NOTE: You must use a GUID partition for this guide to work.

FIRST and foremost, here are my main specs:

CPU: i7 960

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x58

Graphics: EVGA GTX 460 1gb SuperClocked.

Hard Drives: 160gb SATA (for osx), 1TB SATA (for my win7 os)

1. I used the IATKOS S3 v2 distro to install SL 10.6.3.

-before installing, i created two partitions. One of 8gb and another for the OSX. (You will see why when you view the guide below).

2. Click customize and leave everything default except:

-Bootloader: Chameleon 2.0 RC5

-Drivers: SATA/IDE - Intel, Jmicron, VIA

-NO VIDEO drivers or enablers.

3. After install, boot to SL.

4. Install combo update 10.6.7 and reboot. Then 10.6.8.

-When installing 10.6.8, do not reboot. Install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the following options:

-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], System Utilities, Kexts/ethernet/Realtek 81xx, bootloader/Chameleon(or the newest one)

5. Install the Official Nvidia drivers.

6. Reboot.

7. i used this guide to install LION.

NOTE: you will need to back up your 10.6.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext and copy it over to the 8gb "installer" partition (~/system/library/extentions) in order to boot to the installer. After you install LION, you will need to restore the 10.6.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext to you LION(OS) partition using terminal. (i booted back to installer to use the terminal)

8. When you have successfully installed LION, you will need to boot using "-v npci=0x2000", just the first boot.

9. When fully booted, you might need to reinstall you ethernet drivers using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

- Once completed, everything will look perfect.

The only thing not working is the "sleep" function which it should be simple to fix. The HDMI Audio is not working but should also be simple to fix just haven't had enough time.

Again, I will update OP with a more detailed (with pictures) guide.

Also, to answer your question about the Extra folder, I did not use any.

So I managed todo a clean install of Lion (never previously have been using OSX) with Chameleon RC5 and the Lion Thumbdrive. For DSDT file I used a file that someone else had success with that was for a different ASUS board, the X58 file from tony's db did not work for me.

It appears my GTX 460 worked fine out of the box with lion, however when I tried to update the driver with the nVidia download it said I was already running the latest (really?).

Network card installed fine with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], however I can not seem to get sound working. Since I am using Chameleon I am just putting all my kexts in the /extras/extensions with no problem instead of the usual /S/L/E path.

I tried to instal the Voodoo HDA audio package that everyone seems to like and it nuked my install so I was forced to boot up with install media do an rm on all files modified in the last 10 minutes to get her booting again (feels bad man).

Any advice for the onboard sound drivers?

I see lots of people talking about all these extra video driver hacks and firmware updates... am I doing something wrong that mine worked right out of the box with vanilla lion?

Thank you for reading.

After a full day messing around I finally got lion booting perfectly on my Sabertooth board. It's running buttery smooth. I will compile a full guide soon. Below are some pics for now. Enjoy! (i have resized them to 720p to minimized the file size)

Yes - Installed mine last night following the simple Lion install guide, and it worked beautifully. I used the DSDT from Andy's P8P67 Boot disk (been using that since 10.6.6) and with a minor tweak for audio (Apple HDA Rollback) and Safari (install latest version of Flash) and a quick update to the nVidia drivers ( GT 430) everything was running. Full graphics (1920x1080), network, sound and all apps so far.

Very pleased

Wruhen

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 REV 3.0 - Intel P67

Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz

8 Gigs memory

NVIDEA GeForce GT430

Yes - Installed mine last night following the simple Lion install guide, and it worked beautifully. I used the DSDT from Andy's P8P67 Boot disk (been using that since 10.6.6) and with a minor tweak for audio (Apple HDA Rollback) and Safari (install latest version of Flash) and a quick update to the nVidia drivers ( GT 430) everything was running. Full graphics (1920x1080), network, sound and all apps so far.

Very pleased

Wruhen

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 REV 3.0 - Intel P67

Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz

8 Gigs memory

NVIDEA GeForce GT430

Could you explain to me (and maybe point me at the files you used) for Audio? I still have not been able to get mine to work. Would I have better luck with the DSDT you are talking about?

- Heinz

Could you explain to me (and maybe point me at the files you used) for Audio? I still have not been able to get mine to work. Would I have better luck with the DSDT you are talking about?

- Heinz

Note this is the X58 version of the motherboard not the P67

I have the same set up with working sleep.

ScreenShot2011-07-31at214904.png

this might help

http://jeffsprotberry.com/theblog/2011/07/...intosh-to-lion/

mike

Why do you have {censored} like EVOReboot, SleepEnabler and NullCPUPowerManagement in extensions, your dsdt and bootloader handle shutdown/restart and Sabertooth has power management working out of the box.

Why do you have {censored} like EVOReboot, SleepEnabler and NullCPUPowerManagement in extensions, your dsdt and bootloader handle shutdown/restart and Sabertooth has power management working out of the box.

Stuff left over from a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install. I couldnt find a good dsdt file. At least I am trying to help. :unsure:

As far as DSDT, learn to make your own. It's not hard and the benefits are great when you system appears more Mac-like to the software. Also, you don't need any installer, just use Chameleon as your boot loader.

Sounds like a great system, although I'm wondering why your system is identified as a MacPro3,1 when its clearly a MacPro4,1 or MacPro 5,1.

As far as DSDT, learn to make your own. It's not hard and the benefits are great when you system appears more Mac-like to the software. Also, you don't need any installer, just use Chameleon as your boot loader.

Sounds like a great system, although I'm wondering why your system is identified as a MacPro3,1 when its clearly a MacPro4,1 or MacPro 5,1.

Well it's most definitely because of my DSDT file which was generic from when i initially installed from the Iatkos distro.

There are tools, with this you can edit this information, but this only changes the text, so it's not so important.

If your hackintosh works fine and fast, you don't have to change it :)

If not... i think there must be a solution.