Why does FaceTime work with Chameleon 755?

Hackintosh2000

24 posts in this topic

Upon updating from 10.6.8 to 10.7 retail Facetime kept generating a server error and would not log in. Apparently this has been a problem with hackintoshes and real macs. Some hackintosh installs simply need the EthernetBuiltIn=yes fix. Unfortunately that alone did not work for me. The solution that worked for me is the very peculiar Chameleon 755 fix. The Chameleon 755 fix along with EthernetBuiltIn=yes finally got my Hack running 100%.

I started this thread because I wanted to know if anyone has any idea what is so special about Chameleon 755. By the way the only thing I did was copy the boot file for 755 to my root directory. Its the only unique 755 file on my computer. So there is something in the 755 boot file that makes Factime work. The other question is who in the world figured this one out and how? Was it just dumb luck?

On another note its ironic that there is an easy solution for this problem on a hackintosh. The poor people with real macs have to wait for Cupertino to see fit to provide a solution, assuming they ever do. :)

Screen%20Shot%202011-06-10%20at%2022.32.09.png

Hi, I can't login in FaceTime but also in Mac Appstore. In FaceTime i get the same error above. But for 755 do you mean I have to set 755 permission to the file boot in the root of the partition? Thanks

Ok, now I know that 755 is the build number. To downgrade chameleon I have only to overwrite boot file?

Hi, I can't login in FaceTime but also in Mac Appstore. In FaceTime i get the same error above. But for 755 do you mean I have to set 755 permission to the file boot in the root of the partition? Thanks

Ok, now I know that 755 is the build number. To downgrade chameleon I have only to overwrite boot file?

No.

You may have multiple problems. The App store always worked for me in 10.7. What you might want to try out is downloading Chameleon 2 RC4 r755. Copy the enclosed file named "boot" to your root directory. You may also need to use "EthernetBuiltIn=yes". Some systems work with just EthernetBuiltIn=yes. Some require r755. Some need both. You'll just have to try trial and error.

Anyway there are threads discussing possible FaceTime/Lion solutions. I started this thread to find out WHY r755 works when all others fail.

No.

You may have multiple problems. The App store always worked for me in 10.7. What you might want to try out is downloading Chameleon 2 RC4 r755. Copy the enclosed file named "boot" to your root directory. You may also need to use "EthernetBuiltIn=yes". Some systems work with just EthernetBuiltIn=yes. Some require r755. Some need both. You'll just have to try trial and error.

Anyway there are threads discussing possible FaceTime/Lion solutions. I started this thread to find out WHY r755 works when all others fail.

The ethernet option enabled there was already, I've put the 755 boot file the root and restarted it failed booting. Now i've replaced it with the old one, so I haven't solved the problem..

I already had the EthernetBuiltIn set to Yes and with no luck.

After replacing the boot file with the r755 build of Chameleon, Facetime worked. The only problem is that my system is not as stable as with Chimera 1.41 and I have some freezes related to my Fermi GTS 450 card. With Chimera, those freezes are gone after upgrading to Lion.

However, with the Chameleon r755, I got some of those freezes again, but Facetime works. Righ now, I'm back to Chimera and sacrificed Facetime for stability until the devs find a solution.

Cheers!

I already had the EthernetBuiltIn set to Yes and with no luck.

After replacing the boot file with the r755 build of Chameleon, Facetime worked. The only problem is that my system is not as stable as with Chimera 1.41 and I have some freezes related to my Fermi GTS 450 card. With Chimera, those freezes are gone after upgrading to Lion.

However, with the Chameleon r755, I got some of those freezes again, but Facetime works. Righ now, I'm back to Chimera and sacrificed Facetime for stability until the devs find a solution.

Cheers!

Once you get FaceTime to work under Chameleon r755 don't close or log out of the application. If you never log out of the application it will continue to work. Just keep it running and shut down your computer. You can then change to whatever Chameleon works for you and FaceTime should continue to work. If you quit the application and log out you will have to revert to Chameleon r755 again to get it to log in.

Once you get FaceTime to work under Chameleon r755 don't close or log out of the application. If you never log out of the application it will continue to work. Just keep it running and shut down your computer. You can then change to whatever Chameleon works for you and FaceTime should continue to work. If you quit the application and log out you will have to revert to Chameleon r755 again to get it to log in.

I agree, and already tried that, but that's not a proper solution.

The devs must be contacted to check what changed that could affect the secure connection between the hackintosh and the Apple server.

Cheers!

Great advise! thanks

I discovered it when I installed Lion DP4 on z68ma-d2h board a month ago.

This forum didn't allow me to post, so I PM Stella (few days before I PM you). Tonymac also deleted my post. Probably you notice it is Stella broke the news.

As I don't want to be the only one to know the trick, and most important I learn everything from here; and I reckon no one will bother to reverse back to an old chameleon to re-discover it.

Since this is not a permanent solution, I hope someone would incorporate whatever the difference in future updates.

Received this interesting PM.

Received this interesting PM.

That's not fair to keep useful info hidden from the public.

I don't know if there's some issues betweet forums and I don't care.

I have accounts on many hackintosh forums and share my knowledge when needed no matter the site.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that I tried in 2 desktop hackintoshes and one laptop. All of them are able to login into facetime with chameleon 755, but not later. Once you logged in, you can install latest chameleon and facetime will work until you'll not log out and will want to login again.

p.s. all without EthernetBuiltIn. With/without - doesn't matter for facetime here, looks like.

I cannot help but think that Apple started to include some DRM technology in Lion that we are not yet fully aware of. What is so special on facetime that it needs to be bound to hardware IDs ? I mean facetime is just a chatting tool like ichat with video..

Has somebody tried to backport the facetime from the appstore ( the snow leo facetime ) and see if one can run that in Lion ( deleting the Lion version ) ?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't boot with r755.

I get "still waiting for boot device" message with r755.

with upper version such as r1440, it boot fine.

I'm guessing that it's due to ApplePIIXATA.kext error.

Anybody has solution for this?

I'm using P5K/EPU (don't support AHCI mode).

I can't boot with r755.

I get "still waiting for boot device" message with r755.

with upper version such as r1440, it boot fine.

I'm guessing that it's due to ApplePIIXATA.kext error.

Anybody has solution for this?

I'm using P5K/EPU (don't support AHCI mode).

you know you have AHCI mod bios right?

I am going to take a quick guess at why this works. I don't know specifics, but I have a hunch it has something to do with Date and Time. People on the Apple forums were reporting that setting the date and time to automatically set by your area fixed the issue. Now, for my Hackintosh I don't see anything regarding "set automatically by area", probably because there is a part necessary to access that that I don't own. What ever that area setting does on real macs is what I believe chameleon does on a mackintosh. I don't know for sure, but I figured I would just throw it out there. My FaceTime is working with Chameleon boot 775 and EthernetBuiltIn=Yes

you know you have AHCI mod bios right?

no I'd using original bios.

now thanks to you, I knew the existence of the mod bios :wacko:, enabled AHCI, succeeded booting with r755, and finally FaceTime is working.

Thanks Noam AA

Can't boot into Lion with Chameleon 755, system reboot in the middle of the boot sequence, actually right after loading files.

i think it's related to graphics not being enabled correctly.

this of course if you can boot with upper versions