Anyone used Disk Utility to partition a USB stick AFTER upgrading to Lion?

foopy

5 posts in this topic

First a little background.

Hackintosh built March 02, 2011

Initially installed OS X v10.6.3 from retail DVD then upgraded to 10.6.6, 10.6.7, and finally 10.6.8 as those versions were released. I decided to try Lion so I purchased it via the App Store and followed the instructions to upgrade via USB stick. The upgrade went fine and all has been well until today.

I tried to use Disk Utility in Lion to wipe an 8Gb USB memory stick out and to create a new single partition on that stick. When I do it appears to wipe the existing partition table and then to create the new one, but then it hangs when trying to format the new partition in the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. I thought it might be a bad USB stick so I tried 2 more USB sticks but ended up with the same results. I even tried formatting using the FAT file system and still no joy.

So my question is has anyone successfully created and formatted a USB Key using Disk Utility in Lion?

Any ideas on how I can fix my issue? As far as I can tell everything else is working great.

you're welcome :wacko:

how many USB Hardware you're using?

is your BIOS current?

did you use the Stick directly to the Mainboards USB ports, no extra cable or Case front USB ports?

what does about this mac --> information says about your plugged in Stick ( high performance ? ) at USB?

i think it's enough questions for now, but i can ask more if you want ;)

good luck :)

CooSee ' Ya

I decided to backup my files and wipe the hard drive and do a clean installation of Lion. After doing all that the issue is resolved. Disk Utility will now successfully create and format a new partition on a USB key. I noticed that before Lion seemed to take longer to boot than Snow did but after doing the clean install that is no longer the case. It now seems to shut down and boot up quicker.

Thanks for your help CooSee! Have a great day!