help needed for KP I have never seen before...

ellnic

22 posts in this topic

I have posted this to a few different forums as I am in a real bind, and have no working Hackintosh and am having to use a friend's machine at the moment :-(

I installed a T9500 CPU in my Inspiron 1720 today and have been having issues ever since. I am running Lion 10.7.0. And until the CPU swap, the system worked very well indeed, in fact, it booted once with the T9500 but hasn't since without safe boot. I am running the latest BIOS revision, and settings have not been messed with since the CPU change over.

The error that the KP gives is a Machine Check Exception error, which happens at boot time. I can sometimes get as far as the login screen or the desktop, but it occurs pretty quick after that. It doesn't seem to occur in 32bit + mode, which I thought was odd. I have included a screen shot (which is fuzzy, I am sorry), I can take another one if need be, but the machine check error is visible at the top.

I read that a Machine Check Error is usually caused by a CPU fault or heat sink issue, but I would be surprised if it's something I have done wrong as I am a competent user. And what's more, it does not happen in Windows. I am providing quite a bit of info here as there is still a doubt in my mind about the health of the CPU, but I am hoping that someone can tell me it is software....

I think the CPU must be fine, because I have booted into a native windows environment and used Intel's CPU test app which it passed. I have also used Dell's built in test tool which it passed, and a couple of other test suites, which say that there is nothing wrong with the CPU. In fact, I have no KP's in any other OS under varying conditions, so I am sure that I must have a kext incompatibility with possibly AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Before I put the T9500 in, I had to use the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.6.7 along with IOPCIFamily.kext by Slice. But I did notice while tinkering that I can now use the Lion AppleACPIPlatform.kext without getting an immediate "Unable to find driver for this platform" etc, but I get another error because it then does not match up with IOPCIFamily (which it just hangs at boot if they are both the Lion ones).

Also, it would be worth noting that if I boot in Safe Mode, I do not get this panic at all.

I have tried booting with both my original DSDT and a DSDT from timmyJ (both attached) but with no joy.

Before I strip my machine apart, swap CPU's back (what I will do with it then, I do not know) I would welcome any suggestions. Is this simply a kext error now I have a different CPU? Does my DSDT need tweaking? Or is something a hell of a lot more sinister a foot?

Many thanks in advance.

post-570480-1311632088_thumb.jpg

DSDTs.zip

Some more info:

If I use a mbp 4,1 smbios, I don't get the KP, but my geekbench score drops from almost 4000 to about 950. If I also use nullcpupowermanagement, I get my geekbench score back but obviously no sleep etc.

This has to be a software issue not a hardware fault this does happen in SL/Windows/Linux... more screenshots attached, with more detailed KP info...

Please help, this is driving me crazy!

post-570480-1312221053_thumb.jpg

ok could you get a better pic of the one in the first post. it gets fuzzy half way down.

secondly what are the KP's in the second post for, when did they happen 32 bit or not etc?

i noticed in the second pic it says busratio=19 is this still correct for the new CPU, different CPU's have different Busratio's

have you tried no DSDT at all

what about idlehalt=0

cpus=1 ?

it could be that your dsdt changed after putting in the new cpu. are you good with DSDT's? could you compare the DSDT youve been using with a freshly dumped DSDT right now in windows with new CPU? the difference if any would be in the first few hundred lines of the DSDT since that is where the CPU stuff is.

change macbookpro for macbook .. use my signature zip (Inspiron 1520 Edit 7-13-11 Added FakeSMC 493 and plugins used by me) has chameleon2 rc5 1096 and proper smbios (change serial.. last 2 digits)

and compare boot.com.plist with yours

the other stuf f i have should work. but dsdt might be slightly different. (did u get your untouched dsdt yet ?EDIT : yes i see it on other post. ill take a look in next 45 mins.)

in your dsdt the Device (PCI) has _ADR or _UID ? rename ADR to UID

imac9,1 nforce chipset ? ookkk

inspiron 1520 and 1720 differences is the hdd is 2 . rest is same. so my dsdt works for u. but i have to fix my dsdt in a few thigns. but should work.

i applied ioata panic fix to ide1 not ide0 so it works fine for u.

u dont need Scope (CPU) moded.. chameleon2 rc5 GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates works fine in boot.com.plist (compare them)

Thank you both for the replies. Sorry it's taken me a while to reply.

ok could you get a better pic of the one in the first post. it gets fuzzy half way down.

secondly what are the KP's in the second post for, when did they happen 32 bit or not etc?

i noticed in the second pic it says busratio=19 is this still correct for the new CPU, different CPU's have different Busratio's

I'm not sure how to replicate the first pic, as the panic seems to throw different figures each time, but always a Machine Check panic. It seems that I don't get them in safe mode, or in 32 bit (I boot in 64-bit at the moment).

The busratio is 13, but I get the same results with or without (old ratio was 11).

Using cpus=1 causes a reboot almost immediately. I tried idlehalt=0 and there doesn't appear to be any improvement. Geekbench score is 985.

EDIT: Both kp's in second post different SMBIOS.plists that were suggested.

it could be that your dsdt changed after putting in the new cpu. are you good with DSDT's? could you compare the DSDT youve been using with a freshly dumped DSDT right now in windows with new CPU? the difference if any would be in the first few hundred lines of the DSDT since that is where the CPU stuff is.

I'm no good at comparing (I don't understand DSDTs at all despite trying :unsure: )... I extracted a fresh DSDT using Everest under windows here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=99044

change macbookpro for macbook .. use my signature zip (Inspiron 1520 Edit 7-13-11 Added FakeSMC 493 and plugins used by me) has chameleon2 rc5 1096 and proper smbios (change serial.. last 2 digits)

and compare boot.com.plist with yours

I tried your SMBIOS.plist, boot.plist, DSDT and extensions, but I still get a panic. Same again, machine check :-( I have put my 4,1 smbios.plist back in for now. I kept your boot.plist in, as it has quite a bit in that mine does not, but no change.

I'm clutching at straws here, but this was in the log:

01/08/2011 21:18:05.000 kernel: WARNING - ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - no sub-config match for MacBookPro4,1 with 17 p-states, using default stepper instead

01/08/2011 21:18:20.000 kernel: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

01/08/2011 21:22:59.000 kernel: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

01/08/2011 21:22:59.000 kernel: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled

Could this be to blame?

17 pstates. .explains why mbp5,1 works. its unlocked. try the 6,1 smbios. in dsdt auto-patcher first post.

I'm not sure if I understand what that means :/

I have BIOS rev A09, which I believe is the latest. I thought that it might be something like having to reflash...

Interesting news though, I was just tinkering around and I tried your Extra folder again, but this time did a permissions repair on the entire drive, and low and behold I am able to boot without the machine check error and my geek bench score is 3809!

I must have made an error the first time, or perhaps the permissions repair did the trick. Your DSDT appears to be working fine for me (I tried the one that MaLd0n gave me and it kp'd again with machine check!). What is different in your DSDT? It must be something to do with the p-states?

One thing I did notice, is that I get a slight bit of audio distortion with VoodooHDA - is there any way that I can use the AppleHDA from 10.6.2 like I did before? It does not seem to work now?

I used to use VoodooSDHC for card reader, what do you use to get yours to work?

Darwin in the Windows 2006 (vista) os profile.. im fixing your dsdt will post soon.

do u have 2 hard disks ? windows and linux in other i assume

i dont use sdhc reader. i also disabled my wake on lan And PXE feature and enable usb wake in power management. turn off all wireless switch and wireless catcher.

i dont get audio lag .. hmmm irq issue likely.

Thank you. I really appreciate your efforts. I'd was beginning to think I had wasted money on the T9500!

Wake on LAN is a feature I wouldn't use, but I would be interested in getting the SD reader going as I use it quite a bit.

The problem with audio isn't lag, it's more like the noise you get from a blown speaker... but only on full volume.

I have OS X on the 2nd drive as well in case of emergencies etc.. I boot into it and undo what changes I made on my main install that caused the KP. Each drive has 2 partitions The rest of the space is music and other files. I have windows / linux installed on an external HDD.

post-570480-1312239946_thumb.png

k i edited above post with dsdt. likely has something missing.

the sdhc i havent tried much to fix..but its location is under Device (CRD1) its missing in dsdt but i can add. but dunno whats issue that wont works with voodoosdhc.kext partially.

its the irqs in hpet. let me fix.. cause thats one of main things that changed. i put (0) and removed 11 and 15 .. if u add 15 it should fix.

hmm or not.. try booting -v -f then run kextwizard maintenance .. or kext utility

but i updated my dsdt in sig and added voodoodshc .. much better

check my signature.. updated dsdt.. should work same. however i forgot to compare one key spot in _CRS thats been the key to kernel panics on some models with ram i believe. but seems its same for us. (not gma965 mobos)

I've done as you suggested and it seemed to fix the issue. I will test more tomorrow as I have to turn in now (it's 2am here).

One thing I did notice, is that sleep appears to be hit and miss. Sometimes it won't sleep, but if it does, it might not wake. I am also having to boot using "max_valid_dma_addr=1024" or it hangs because of the Ethernet kext (but this is not new to me). I also use GraphicsEnabler.

Thank you again for your help so far, I will post tomorrow after more testing. :-)

Well it seems that with your DSDT, I can use a MBP6,1 SMBIOS and the Lion AppleACPI/IOPCIFamily. I will keep testing over the next few days but so far so good.

The only problem is ethernet. I am using your version of the kext, and I cannot get it to boot... it hangs shortly after loading it. However, if I use max_valid_dma_addr=1024, I now lose battery and audio!

AppleHDA from 10.6.2 does not work with your DSDT, but the good news is that I fixed the distortion problem with VoodooHDA by installing the prefpane and ticking the SSE2 option.

So after all, only thing is ethernet - but no more kps :)

I have 6GB of RAM, 2GB in one slot and 4GB in the other. It doesn't display 100% correctly in the profiler, but it seems to work well (see screen shot). I will double check that I have those options off in BIOS.

One thing I have noticed, is that restart does not always work. I noticed that you had the RestartFix in the boot.plist... I had to remove that as it kills my restart completely. If I leave it out, I have restart working properly 60% of the time, but when it fails I have to hold the power button. This also results in the CMOS reset and long POST. Do you have the CMOS fix in your DSDT?

HDEF would be helpful, but Voodoo does seem to be working just fine for now, I might just use that and keep the AppleHDADisabler in. One thing that I have always had problems with is the volume level, this has been ever since I have had this system. When the volume is at max, it seems loud. But then the volume is half way down it is almost off! Do you have the same problem?

post-570480-1312308062_thumb.png

Ok, I am not one to admit defeat easily, and I am really disappointed to have to say this but after yet another string of different kp's last night after an apparently ok spell of operation, I have replaced my original CPU.

I have come to the conclusion that Intel's own test suite must not test for whatever problem is wrong with this CPU.

The latest breed of error is TLB Invalidation, IPI timeout... after 5 or 6 of those last night within about 20 mins, i'd had it. I would understand this if I was new to the scene but I've had my Hackintosh for almost 2 years now, and I have never seen as with this CPU. I've tried more combinations of DSDT's and extensions over the last week than I can count, and they all result in slightly different, but certain and erratic kp's.

CPU is yesterday's news.

Thank you very much for your help.

remove the 2 gb or the 4gb.. i suspect the way dsdt allocates ram was made to allocate for up ot 4 gb. even tho it sees it.. it cant handle it ( _CRS does calculations on known sizes i believe.)

yea voodoohda was always low for me at first. dunno what i did that fixed it. but a trick is in pcm in voodoo panel touch it a tad to right. (voodoohda has to be edited to raise level up a notch.. not sure how its done. projectosx does) or permissions dont let it save the setting.

(btw i dont use hdadisabler and hardly ever get kernel panic.. does show sound assertion on -v booting.. sometimes 2 times.)

your restart working without restart fix is a first for me.. i always need it and no reset.. btw im testing A04 bios. maybe something was fubarred in 07+

if u have cmos resets try the RTC 0x06 or 0x04 or 0x02. (the bigger the number the more likely to run vanilla.. i use 0x08 and no resets... and no its not chameleon version cause i tried a few)

curiously what is your video cards Rev A2 ? i have A1 256MB..

try a fresh install with 2 gb ram at first. i think past 2gb ram the bcm kext messes up. .. i should find a 2gb pair sticks to test.. i could care less if i have more than 2gb ram. works fine at 2 for me.

what bluetooth u have ? i got 355 working with power off icon.

Well the extra RAM seems to be working fine even though it cannot see the full lot in 2nd bay. I was hoping to find a MacBookPro3,1 SMBIOS because this would seem to be the closest to the 1720, and the MacBookPro3,1 can take 6GB. I will look at the _CRS though

It's an odd thing, now I am back to my original CPU, I have no problems at all! I have everything working even 2 finger scrolling (although a bit fast as modified prefpane won't work in Lion).

With my T7500 CPU and DSDT, I only get a CMOS reset once every month. But I will try to increase the value to see if it stops it.

I am BIOS Rev. A09, but I don't know how they are different for OS X, but with regards to the video card, are you sure that you have the same board as me? I know you said that they are the same - but I am beginning to doubt it. There are 3 possible boards that go in these models PM965/GM965/Don't remember last one. I am PM965, where as mnfesq is GM965. We find that there is a big difference sometimes in what works for us.

I have Bluetooth 355. I had power off with T9500 and your kexts/DSDT but not now. :D

Now I am back with my T7500, I am trying to get Speedstepping working. I tried your files, but they do not like my 1720 now it has the T7500 again and it panics! Odd huh?

I'm also trying to install 10.5.8 on a Vostro 1000 >:)

cant use MBP3,1 wireless wont work and slow lag.

what kexts did u put in /Extra?

this isnt a macbook pro 3,1 its a dell with 4 gb limitation. not EFI.

boot -v -f -x then repair permissions.

i posted new dsdt today again.check it out

cant use MBP3,1 wireless wont work and slow lag.

what kexts did u put in /Extra?

this isnt a macbook pro 3,1 its a dell with 4 gb limitation. not EFI.

boot -v -f -x then repair permissions.

i posted new dsdt today again.check it out

try the voodoobattery as i hear appleacpibattery might give issues for some. ( probably brand of battery?)

u say works fine with t7500 hmm i got same.. weird. maybe bios is missing cpu update for that high up cpu.. whats fsb of T9500 ? 800 ?

I tried your new DSDT, but it panics again.. the modifications you make in your DSDT must work well with your BIOS but not mine. I have attached my extra... like I say, with this lot, I got everything working fine now that I am back to my T7500.

I use VoodooBattery and it works well for me, acpi battery doesn't work for me with my config now.

Not sure why the T9500 didn't work well, it comes with this model so I can't see why it wouldn't work?

I still use IOATAFamily at the moment in my E/E folder. If I do the DSDT fix, do I just remove this? Nothing else needed? I also managed to do the PNLF fix in the DSDT so, no more LidSleep.kext in there.

As well as the extensions attached, I use 3 more in S/L/E. I use AppleACPI and IOPCIFamily from 10.6.7 and AppleHDA from 10.6.2. I like the fact that they are unmodified, just a little older. Hopefully they will work all through Lion.

Extra.zip