Lion on Asus P5B

Plucka

39 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, has anybody attempted to install Lion on their Asus P5B Mobo's? I have a drive with 2 partitions on it, actually I have 2 drives, one is my main install with only 10.6.5 SL and Chameleon installed on it, and the other drive has a CCC of the 10.6.5 updated to 10.6.6, with the second partition being a CCC of the 10.6.5 updated to 10.6.8, everything works fine after the update except for the spinning boot wheel that has vanished, but it boots into 10.6.8 without any problems. I have a copy of Lion and when I mount it on the 10.6.8 partition I am able to go right through to the install screen and even select a drive to install on.

I see that most people are saying use a USB drive to boot off, but I think most people are trying to do a fresh install of Lion on their second partition. I was wondering if I just do the upgrade install over my 10.6.8 partition would Lion then be bootable after the install? Because, all the kexts in the extras folder and the DSDT.AML are already in place!

The only thing I have is the Chameleon version which isnt the RC5 for SL and Lion. I am a bit hesitant to install this Chameleon on my main 10.6.5 drive for fear of stuffing up my boot drive, is there anybody here that can tell me it wont cause problems by updating the Chameleon version?

Anyway I hope somebody out there has a few tips or maybe even a tutorial for this board, I know there are a lot of people with this board, so I hope to here from you soon, cheers mates, Plucka :D

p5b works fine. i used bootable usb stick with chameleon. for realtek i used lnx2mac driver, jmicron and audio i dont use. good luck!

by the way if you have good dsdt can you share it? mine is auto generated and i dont understand how to fix it

p5b works fine. i used bootable usb stick with chameleon. for realtek i used lnx2mac driver, jmicron and audio i dont use. good luck!

by the way if you have good dsdt can you share it? mine is auto generated and i dont understand how to fix it

Hey ekzotic, thanks for your reply, did you install Lion over your existing snow leopard or did you do a fresh install? Would you mind sharing your steps with me please.

Sure I don't mind sharing my DSDT with you, a word of caution though, I don't know if it will work with your board, I read in MaLDons DSDT topic that it may or may not work.

Hope to hear from you soon, cheers mate, Plucka

dsdt.aml.zip

thanks for the dsdt but it give me kp instantly.

i did a fresh install. all steps i don't remember but you can use tutorials to extract gm image to flash disk and modify it. then add kexts to it (i added nullcpupm and fakesmc) and install latest chameleon to it, then boot..

if console moving for you during load try npci=0x2000 key for chameleon

after installation add kexts to the lion partition and make extra folder with org.chameleon.Boot.plist

then add GraphicsEnabler Yes to it and maybe EthernetBuiltIn Yes to fix appstore login issue. If everything is fine add UseKernelCache Yes to speed up boot process.

Realtek driver http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

openhaltrestart

thanks for the dsdt but it give me kp instantly.

i did a fresh install. all steps i don't remember but you can use tutorials to extract gm image to flash disk and modify it. then add kexts to it (i added nullcpupm and fakesmc) and install latest chameleon to it, then boot..

if console moving for you during load try npci=0x2000 key for chameleon

after installation add kexts to the lion partition and make extra folder with org.chameleon.Boot.plist

then add GraphicsEnabler Yes to it and maybe EthernetBuiltIn Yes to fix appstore login issue. If everything is fine add UseKernelCache Yes to speed up boot process.

Realtek driver http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

openhaltrestart

Hey ekzotic, thanks for your reply, sorry that the DSDT didn't work for you, I assume you used this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523 ? This makes a DSDT for you, and you just replace the DSDT in your extras folder. Sorry if I am explaining something you already knew, just trying to help mate.

App store was not a problem for me after deleting Network preferences p-list and removing the ethernet and airport connections in preference pane, the app store then let me log in.

Do you know anything about Chameleon? I have 2 drives each with an SL install, 1 disk hast Chameleon on it and the other is accessed through the Chameleon interface. I would like to format the drive with Chameleon on it to try Lion, if I install Chameleon to the second drive and wipe the first drive will Chameleon still boot? I know its off topic but it does relate to getting Lion going.

Thanks again for your advice and the driver, cheers mate, Plucka

thanks for the link to the patcher by MaLdOn :-) already used it, works good.

are you talking about snow leopard appstore? i had no problems there at all. (but not updated to 6.8 yet)

with chameleon i recommend you to make flash usb disk with it, its easy just use any chameleon installer and point to your usb disk in it. dont forget partition should be hfs+. then try to boot of it to check if its working properly

(take some fresh chameleon for example here http://www.kexts.com/cat/2-bootloaders.html , freshest for today is 1227, you most likely wont have any problems (i had with old one 76x))

then, after lion is installed use chameleon installer in lion itself

thanks for the link to the patcher by MaLdOn :-) already used it, works good.

are you talking about snow leopard appstore? i had no problems there at all. (but not updated to 6.8 yet)

with chameleon i recommend you to make flash usb disk with it, its easy just use any chameleon installer and point to your usb disk in it. dont forget partition should be hfs+. then try to boot of it to check if its working properly

(take some fresh chameleon for example here http://www.kexts.com/cat/2-bootloaders.html , freshest for today is 1227, you most likely wont have any problems (i had with old one 76x))

then, after lion is installed use chameleon installer in lion itself

Hey ekzotic, thanks for your reply mate, yes I was referring to the SL App store. I understand your advice on the USB boot drive, my question was more about preparing the one drive I have, please read this text from another post:

I have 2 drives each with a SL install on them, one drive, lets say my first drive has Chameleon on it and the second drive is accessed through the Chameleon interface to boot that SL install.

I would like to format the first drive with Chameleon on it to try Lion, the first drive is having issues so I have nominated it to be the guinea pig for Lion. If I install Chameleon to the second drive and wipe the first drive will Chameleon still boot?

Can you follow this? I am only worried if I hose the first drive that even if I install Chameleon on the second drive I wont be able to boot into the second drive?

Any advice here is welcome, cheers mate, Plucka

you can boot with that flash drive to any disk.. but if you want you can also install chameleon to second disk. i just thought it would be better not to mess with bootsector on 2 drive.

but if you do dont forget to change boot sequence in bios :-)

or use f8 for bbs popup menu

you can boot with that flash drive to any disk.. but if you want you can also install chameleon to second disk. i just thought it would be better not to mess with bootsector on 2 drive.

That's true mate, the second drive is a CCC of the first drive, so I dont know what would happen to the bootsector either, but I think it should be OK because of the fact that the install is a CCC of the first drive, but thanks for your answer, I have to buy a 8 gig stick still, so as soon as I have it, if you dont mind I will bother you again soon with even more questions, only joking :D but I appreciate you taking the time to answer me anyway.

BTW which sound do you use for your P5B? I have this installed on mine to have sound out working, it has never broken with updating and is very reliable. Only install the sound part and nothing else though.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aded&start=

Cheers mate, Plucka

by the way i dont know what is CCC and how this works :-)

i use audigy 2 pci card with kx driver. for onboard audio in leopard i used small thing called azalia which gave only 1 audio out. in sl i used voodoohda .. end of story :-)

i recommend micro sdhc card mine with usb adapter "transcend" class 6 works well its small and fast enough

(but if you plan to use it to for example to play mp3 in a car with usb port it might not work)

by the way i dont know what is CCC and how this works :-)

i use audigy 2 pci card with kx driver. for onboard audio in leopard i used small thing called azalia which gave only 1 audio out. in sl i used voodoohda .. end of story :-)

i recommend micro sdhc card mine with usb adapter "transcend" class 6 works well its small and fast enough

(but if you plan to use it to for example to play mp3 in car with usb port it might not work)

Hey mate, CCC is short for Carbon Copy Cloner http://www.bombich.com/ it is quite good and can clone any drive to another including making it bootable. I used a creative Xmod for a while but didnt get full frequency response from it, it was capped at 48,000khz and 16 bits. So reverted to the onboard sound I could not get it going, do you have something in your P-list that helps with using VoodooHDA?

Cheers mate, Plucka

mine is 16 48 too but its better than noisy onboard chip i think.

voodoohda configured itself for me. it consisted of 3 files - voodoohda kext, pref pane and settings loader which you need to add to start items. maybe new version differ i dont know.

mine is 16 48 too but its better than noisy onboard chip i think.

voodoohda configured itself for me. it consisted of 3 files - voodoohda kext, pref pane and settings loader which you need to add to start items. maybe new version differ i dont know.

Hey ekzotic,

Well the worst has happened mate, until yesterday both my drives were booting fine, this morning I went to turn on my hack of which I am so proud and now it goes through the Asus splash screen to the Chameleon selection screen where I see all my HDs and installs. I selected my first drive SL and it just sat there at the grey screen with the wheel spinning, usual boot time is about 30 to 50 seconds now I let it stand there for like 1o minutes and nothing. :)

So I found my old Empire EFI boot CD and booted into my first drive with it and updated Chameleon to the latest version. Restarted the PC and crossed my fingers. NO LUCK, just sits at the spinning boot wheel now, the HD shows activity but it just wont boot. Same story for the second drive, Am quite upset about it as I use this hack for my work as well.

I know my GT240 is working fine as I was able to boot into windows on another drive. Do you have any ideas at all on what the problem might be? I am only asking because you have the same board as me and maybe you have encountered something similar in the past?

My second drive with 10.6.5 on it is very important to me, the first drive not so much, do you think I would be better off installing Lion on the first drive now via the USB method? I have an extra USB PCI card that has an internal USB port on it so I could leave that USB stick in my machine permanently and if need be boot from it if there are future problems with Chameleon?

I hope you have some words of wisdom for me mate? Sorry for the long reply but its quite disturbing after nearly 5 years of relatively trouble free hacking to experience this now. Hope to hear from you soon, cheers mate, Plucka :)

You did nothing and yesterday it just wont boot? then you updated chameleon and it still dont boot as i understand.

boot with -v to see messages, make photo and post here.

i had problems with snow leopard before it said "unable to take ehci control" or something like this and it just stopped there. tried fixes but no result. sometimes it boot sometimes no :-(

the good thing is lion just bypasses this for me and boots fine.

You did nothing and yesterday it just wont boot? then you updated chameleon and it still dont boot as i understand.

boot with -v to see messages, make photo and post here.

i had problems with snow leopard before it said "unable to take ehci control" or something like this and it just stopped there. tried fixes but no result. sometimes it boot sometimes no :-(

the good thing is lion just bypasses this for me and boots fine.

Hey ekzotic,

I will boot in verbose mode when I get home, am at work now, will see if I get anything to take a picture of, if not do you think I am better off just going on to installing Lion on the first drive now and use the USB stick method? I know everything is in tact on my second drive. So if I get the first drive booting with Lion the new bootloader should also recognize the second drive.

Thanks for your reply mate, cheers, Plucka

do it! but dont forget to backup importand files on the first disk (if you are going to format drive). i recommend clean install tho

Ok mate, no worries about the files on the first drive all my important stuff is on the second drive so I'm not worried about wiping that drive at all. I will be doing a clean install of Lion following this guide:

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/guide/

Let me know if you think this is a good guide? Or do you have a better one?

Cheers mate, Plucka

well i prefer do it myself, if you want instructions ask :-) will be less complicated after

OK am at home now and have booted into my first drive,I have booted in verbose mode and this is what it said at the end of booting up, I assume this is where it hangs?

If you have steps please lay them out for me or maybe you see something in my picture that may be causing this?

Thanks for your reply ekzotic, cheers mate, Plucka

post-91840-1311881218_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I've got a p5b-deluxe and I've installed lion fine, I just can't get the ethernet to work. I've installed the package that you've linked to but it's still not working, it's not showing up in the network preferences pane. Any other advice you could give me?

Hi,

I've got a p5b-deluxe and I've installed lion fine, I just can't get the ethernet to work. I've installed the package that you've linked to but it's still not working, it's not showing up in the network preferences pane. Any other advice you could give me?

Hey, maybe stating the obvious, but do you have this in your plist?

<key>EthernetBuiltin</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If not try it, back up your original plist, if it wont let you save the changes, drag the plist to the desktop, make your changes and then drag it back, authenticate and replace the original plist.

Otherwise the was a package from Mistico (link in this post) that he made for the ASUS P5B Deluxe. You might be able to use his patch for the onboard ethernet.

Hope this helps, let me know if it did, cheers mate, Plucka

p5b deluxe has different network chip, even 2 chips: Marvell 88E8056 and Marvell 88E8001.

found drivers for both of them, check driver for 8056 (marvell 2) first.

install with kext utility by dropping.. http://cvad-mac.narod2.ru/

Cheers Plucka and Ekzotic, I got the Marvell 8001 working not long after I posted but I can get the other one working now :-).

I've got a problem with screen sharing crashing the hackintosh if I try to connect from my macbook so I'll try it while connected to the 8056's port and see if that works.

Hey guys,

I already have Lion up and running on my notebook, I now wanted to install it on my desktop PC that has a P5B motherboard.

I'm facing this problem: anytime I boot from the external USB drive - where I have the install Lion partition, that always works on the netbook - it goes thhrough an endless loop of boot 0: done.

Do I have to change something in my BIOS settings? I have SATA config as enhanced, and config SATA as AHCI.

Thanks for any suggestions!