[Solved] Only bootloader on USB works.

hrox

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I installed OSX Lion via the USB method. I can boot it up only with the bootloader from the USB stick which is Chameleon RC5. I tried installing Chameleon RC5 and Chimera on my PC, I even copied the boot.plist from the USB device to my HDD but still I can only boot by using the USB stick's bootloader.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks in advance

hrox

Hey guys,

I installed OSX Lion via the USB method. I can boot it up only with the bootloader from the USB stick which is Chameleon RC5. I tried installing Chameleon RC5 and Chimera on my PC, I even copied the boot.plist from the USB device to my HDD but still I can only boot by using the USB stick's bootloader.

Thanks in advance

hrox

how did you install? by package or manual installation?

one more thing is to be sure BIOS is booting the right HDD

how did you install? by package or manual installation?

one more thing is to be sure BIOS is booting the right HDD

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I installed them by package. I'm perfectly sure the BIOS boots the right HDD.

hrox

i had an issue once with package, which worked perfect but still on some extension any package install didn't install boot file or extra or both into a specific partition (if you want more details it was when i restored InstallESD.dmg to a drive with option to remove all content) i don't think it's necessarily your problem, but try install everything manual, and see if it persist,

there are bunch of great tutorials on manual installation of chameleon

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

hrox

Try this:

1. Boot into Lion (using your USB).

2. Install Chameleon on Lion partition.

3. Go to Terminal.

sudo -s

fdisk -e /dev/disk0 (replace 0 with your disk number. You will get it from Disk Utility -> Info)

flag 1 (replace 1 with Lion partition number)

update

write

quit

4. Reboot (remove USB while booting).

Try this:

1. Boot into Lion (using your USB).

2. Install Chameleon on Lion partition.

3. Go to Terminal.

sudo -s

fdisk -e /dev/disk0 (replace 0 with your disk number. You will get it from Disk Utility -> Info)

flag 1 (replace 1 with Lion partition number)

update

write

quit

4. Reboot (remove USB while booting).

Hey,

I did what you suggested, but without success. Just to clarify things: The bootloader on the HDD DOES appear, I AM able to select Lion, it DOES start booting up, but right before the graphical interface should appear, it STOPS.

The USB stick's bootloader on the other hand continues.

hrox

i had an issue once with package, which worked perfect but still on some extension any package install didn't install boot file or extra or both into a specific partition (if you want more details it was when i restored InstallESD.dmg to a drive with option to remove all content) i don't think it's necessarily your problem, but try install everything manual, and see if it persist,

there are bunch of great tutorials on manual installation of chameleon

I will try this, but at the moment I've installed Chimera on my HDD. Does that make a difference?

hrox

In the USB stick's Extra folder there's an "Extensions.mkext" file and int the com.apple.Boot.plist file there's an argument "Rescan"="Yes". Is it possible that the bootloader uses additional kernel extensions that are on the USB stick and that are necessary to boot into the graphical system?

if you lack Extansion.mkext in your Extra folder then there is no kernel Caches for your E/E folder, you Must have Extension.mkext in Extra folder, you can make it with kextcache commend, or you can use Mkexttool to create one for you.

chimera and chameleon are the same to install

if you lack Extansion.mkext in your Extra folder then there is no kernel Caches for your E/E folder, you Must have Extension.mkext in Extra folder, you can make it with kextcache commend, or you can use Mkexttool to create one for you.

chimera and chameleon are the same to install

In the MKext tool I dragged the whole content of my /System/Library/Extensions folder into it and chose build. The resulting file ist 26 MB which can't be correct since the Extensions.mkext on the USB device is only som kB...

not S/L/E!! E/E

you have there kexts too (like FakeSMC), they must have this mkext

In my /Extra/ folder there is NO Extensions folder. /Extra/Extensions does NOT exist. (It's OSX 10.7 if that matters )

Then Here we found the problem (else FakeSMC.kext installed to S/L/E???)

E/E is a MUST (at least FakeSMC is) so be sure to have those then report back

I just installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) and ran Kext Utility. I'll try to reboot now :)

The fold /E/E exists now, as does FakeSMC.

Edit: It works now! Thanks for your help, Noam AA. Slowly, I get this HackBook to work ;-)

By the way: How can I change this forum to display all posts on one site like in most forums?

• 4 weeks later...
By the way: How can I change this forum to display all posts on one site like in most forums?

at the top of the page there is an options button on the right of the header of the first post.

click this and select display mode "standard"

then you should see all the posts in a thread.

• 1 year later...

Then Here we found the problem (else FakeSMC.kext installed to S/L/E???)

E/E is a MUST (at least FakeSMC is) so be sure to have those then report back

Thank you, this fixed an issue for me on Mavericks. I thought I could have FakeSMC.kext in S/L/E... apparently I needed it in E/E... After I ran Kext Utility everything was golden.