WINE is...

8 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone has realized this, but WINE is pretty useless when it comes to real-world production applications.

Makes me think WINE has no real use, since it can only run simple applications that OSX and Linux already have ported.

Well WINE has potential, its just not very usable ATM.

And second, I don't want "Windows," I want the applications that are "Windows Only."

Windows the OS isn't appealing at all to me.

I respect them for the work they have done, but I'm just giving a real - world opinion. The real world is harsh, I'd know. I produce music and I know what It feels like to work on something for weeks and or months and have someone {censored} all over it.

I'm just saying it has a long way to go before it's usable, as a real replacement for Windows.

Well... I have used WINE on linux. It is by far useful. Sure it doesn't run everything, but what it does run is really amazing to me. I think the OSX port is really lacking compared to the Linux and FreeBSD ports... Have you used a Linux version of WINE or have you just used Darwine?

I'm trying CrossOver right now, and everything installs fine, but when I click on most things, they just bounce and then die. No error message, it just never comes up.

Guess its better than Darwine, which doesn't even work period.

I've used the Linux version in Ubuntu, and it still is very limited.