Linksys WMP300N Not working in Lion

ads-103

13 posts in this topic

Hello, All.

I have a wifi card, a Linksys WMP300N. Its a PCI card, and worked great in Snow Leopard, recognized as Air Port and everything. But...

I just installed Lion to my Dell Optiplex 755, and discovered, as expected, that my wifi card no longer functioned. While in Snow Leopard, the card started functioning after I added a string to /System/Library/Extensions/IOO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist. However, in Lion, AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext does not exist. I tried copy-and-pasting my edited AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext from a Time Machiene backup to the proper location, but that did not work; while booting in Verbose mode, I saw an error flash by pointing to that kext: vtable malformed, link failed, failed to load executable, couldn't alloc class. I tried editing a similar file, AirPortBrcm4331.kext, in the same way by adding the same string that I added to 4311.kext, which did not work; while booting in Verbose mode, I saw the same kind of error flash by that I mentioned earlier, even after I deleted 4311.kext.

This computer does not have a wired connection at all, I am completely unable to run a wire to this computer. Wifi is its only means of accessing the net. Any suggestions?

I did also try 43224, identical error. How do I roll back? Just replace the IO80211Family.kext with the one from my Snow Leopard Time Machine backup?

And while I'm on the subject, how do I rebuild Extensions.mkext? The -f flag at Chameleon doesnt seem to work.

1. Yes, just don't forget to repair permissions...

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

and it seems lion handles caches little different then SL, -v will give you verbose and will process all kexts again. didn't check -f

I've done what Noam suggested: replace IO80211Family.kext with my Snow Leopard one, and repaired permissions. The good news is, now I have a network adapter showing up in System Preferences. The bad news is, instead of AirPort, it shows up as Ethernet (en0) and won't connect to any networks.

UPDATE: In System Prefs, I turned en0 off and back on, just by using the "turn air port off/on" button. When I turned it back on, I connected to my network. Everything is working perfectly. It doesn't matter that the adapter shows up as Ethernet, it works perfectly as wireless, and I can always manually rename it to AirPort. Thank y'all for your help, and I'll make a new post if something explodes on my next reboot.

• 11 months later...

i was able to get wmp300n to work w/ native 10.7.4 io80211family.kext

well, reporting success today after putting linksys WMP300N pci adapter into my hackpro:

Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4329] (rev 01)

FCC ID: Q87-WMP300N

With stock 10.7.4 IO80211Family.kext, did not detect, even after adding "pci14e4,4329" to /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I then did the prasys rebrand to subvid/subpid 0x106b/0x008c

Rebranding Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/n Cards as AirPort Extreme | osxlatitude.com

After a reboot, lion is detecting native airport:

Software Versions:
 CoreWLAN: 2.1.2 (212.2)
 CoreWLANKit: 1.0.3 (103.2)
 Menu Extra: 7.1 (710.1)
 configd plug-in: 7.2.1 (721.3)
 System Profiler: 7.0 (700.3)
 IO80211 Family: 4.2 (420.3)
 WiFi Diagnostics: 1.0.2 (102)
 AirPort Utility: 6.1 (610.31)
 Interfaces:
en1:
 Card Type: AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x8C)
 Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.15)
 MAC Address: 00:18:f8:xx:yy:zz
 Locale: FCC
 Country Code: US
 Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g/n
 Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 AirDrop: Supported
 Current Network Information:

Hooray - sleep works without hacks!

to recap:

1. add "pci14e4,4329" to /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext/Contents/Info.plist

2. rebrand to subvid/subpid 0x106b/0x008c

update:

I was able to rebrand the product pid to 4328, so that it was detected by native kext without needing any kext editing by using

this cmd:

ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy --subv 0x106b --subp 0x008b --ppid 0x4328 --regrev 0x0001 -o new_ssb_sprom_copy

I am still playing around with sub-pid. Unsure if 8b or 8c, or something else is the most optimal for this in terms of radio speeds and options. Welcome any feedback for which sub-pid seems to be working best for any of you

Edited by zerojj
  • Like 1

@zerojj

Does it matter which product id you choose? I chose 0x008b since that was the closest to my card.

PCI Card WMP300N

BCM4321 Rev 1 a/b/n

14e4:4329

I could not get this to work the first time because I put the ven/id in the wrong plist. I added the id to the plist inside the kext 4331 instead of the 43224 by mistake.

Thanks for the link to that great guide, I can confirm that it works great in Mountain Lion!!

• 5 weeks later...

update:

I was able to rebrand the product pid to 4328, so that it was detected by native kext without requiring kext mods:

used this cmd:

ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy --subv 0x106b --subp 0x008b --ppid 0x4328 --regrev 0x0001 -o new_ssb_sprom_copy

I am still playing around with sub-pid. Unsure if 8b or 8c, or something else is the most optimal for this in terms of radio speeds.

• 5 months later...

update:

I was able to rebrand the product pid to 4328, so that it was detected by native kext without requiring kext mods:

used this cmd:

I am still playing around with sub-pid. Unsure if 8b or 8c, or something else is the most optimal for this in terms of radio speeds.

Thanks for this!

I managed to rebrand my WMP300N and Airport is working but I can't detect any network! :wallbash:

What can I do?? I had to add an entry in my DSDT to show Airport. Maybe it's wrong.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this!

I managed to rebrand my WMP300N and Airport is working but I can't detect any network! :wallbash:

What can I do?? I had to add an entry in my DSDT to show Airport. Maybe it's wrong.

Cheers!

bump have same problem also

bump have same problem also

I ended buying a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe card and works really great on 10.8.4. I tried everything with the linksys. I even rebranded the PCI id in order not to modify the kext. All with no luck.

works fine for me in my testing system. Just add the id to the kext. No DSDT edit. 

Yeah, every system is different. I read somewhere that changing the PCI slot would work but in my case, I only have 1 PCI slot. So I'm out of luck. In any case, I have WiFi working with that PCIe card. Works like a charm.

Cheers!