What is the BEST Mobo actually?

Ryanux

96 posts in this topic

My Hackintosh setup and tests are done now, so i can post results :

- Xbench is 117 at normal speed (266Mhz) see attachment for details

- I could get 285Mhz stable (but i prefer stay at normal speed in silent mode, speedup not significant..)

- All apps running fine : iLife, FCP, aperture, iChat, ...

- My pinnacle firewire card working fine: ( DV import, external FW HDD)

I totally migrate from my ibookG4 to my hackintosh, and it's much much faster !!

Very happy with my config...

E6300/P5LD2VM/2gb Corsair/250Gb SAMSUNG SATA

xbench_266.txt

@Kiko:

agree with regard for OC-ing but why u think the 965 chipset wont work with osx? it actually does work except for the parallel-ata. and if there will be x3000 drivers for the new mac-mini update, then a board with a 965G chipset might be wonderful for ppl not into gaming - of course it depends on the speed/feature improvment x3000 will deliver.

I agree with both of you! this is my opinion :

For now, the best "performance" choice is an 975X mobo, it is supported, ICH7 is working well, and overclocking is awesome, but these mobos are very expensive and need additionnal PCI-E card even for those who won't play with their hackintosh. Mobos based on a 945/945G gives full compatibility, a graphic chip that is well recognised, and are cheap, their only problem is overclocking.

965P/G mobos are not supported ACTUALLY, but they'll probably will in next weeks, because of the conroe upgrade and then, it will be the best choice for a hackintosh : Overclocking is great, Performance too, ICH8 and ICH8R are better than ICH7, and they will cost just a few € more than a 945 board. Maybe we just have to wait ...

My Hackintosh setup and tests are done now, so i can post results :

- Xbench is 117 at normal speed (266Mhz) see attachment for details

- I could get 285Mhz stable (but i prefer stay at normal speed in silent mode, speedup not significant..)

- All apps running fine : iLife, FCP, aperture, iChat, ...

- My pinnacle firewire card working fine: ( DV import, external FW HDD)

I totally migrate from my ibookG4 to my hackintosh, and it's much much faster !!

Very happy with my config...

E6300/P5LD2VM/2gb Corsair/250Gb SAMSUNG SATA

This is great! i'm having a rig that's quiet the same as yours but with an Asrock conroe945G-DVI and a 320gb HDD sata II. is it real stable? any bugs ?

mmm a friend of mine is running a ga-945p-s3 with a e6400 (2.13 ghz) at 2.8 ghz (as an e6800 thats fantastic), the FSB in this 945 supports 350 fsb overclocking, wich is great for the price, we are talking here of osx compatibility and 150 less price tag. Just with the Zalman 9500 cpu cooler (air cooling). si its just a mere 200 mhz less than your 6600 kiko and the price tag is at least 250 dollar less.

So dont trash the 945 yet, its ready for a new round... BTW, i have read the 975 have its own probelms like an unrecognized phantom hard disk in every startup.

Raynux the ga945ps3 have near exactly the same bios as the ga965p-s3 i have both manuals with me.

Another question, why do you think ICH8 is best? cause its newer?

it actually does work except for the parallel-ata. and if there will be x3000 drivers for the new mac-mini update, then a board with a 965G chipset might be wonderful for ppl not into gaming - of course it depends on the speed/feature improvment x3000 will deliver.
ummm... your pretty smart (N), it doesnt work in OS X, i would know, and it wont work until they release 965 based macs. IDE doesnt work becuase there is no built in IDE on the ICH8, get ur facts right

I just installed 10.4.7JaS on a

ASUS P5WDH Deluxe, 975X

Intel 6600

2 Mb RAM (oem)

3 x SATA seagate (Mac XP Vista)

I just installed the first 2 patches of 10.4.7JaS

on a blanc SATA

everything works

updates

all kinds of apps

import bookmarks mailboxes from windblows

USB firewire

I can see the vista and the XP drive

take stuff from both drives

SATA works with 10.4.6 and 10.4.7

SATA did not work for me with 10.4.1

I will delete VISTA it's terrible and install OSX86

I have not figured out sound yet

I thought the mob would have "ALC880"

but it came with "REALTEK"

which I could not find the kext for it yet

it is faster than the new Mac Pro

thanks JaS you are great ...

So which one for the best stability and 100% os/app working (i ve bought logic express for my imac core duo 20" so i need a little mac for my wife with logic too and aperture fc photoshop tc ...):

p5ld2-vm

d945gntlkr

asrock 945-dvi

asrock xfireconroe-esata2

or the n4l-vm

i need the same perf and above as macmini (3d is not important for me just the full support of firewire sata ide usb2 and qe, ci , ca etc with no atrefact

? thkx

Hi Everyone,

I've read a lot of topics out there, but some say that, and some others say the opposite ...

I just want to know, what is the best motherboard for a conroe ma os x86 system right now?? When i say "best" this means that it should work properly without installing patches or other stuff.

Edit :

For the moment, our great winner is : Asrock Conroe945G-DVI !

Everything works "out of the box" but :

- The Sound : Editing 2 lines in a file > Fully Working

- The Lan : you have to buy a 5€ cost lan card with a realtek 8931 chipset

- You have to buy a firewire pci card, cause it lacks 1394 ports, but this is not required if you don't need it

Thanks !

um my gigabyte mobo one ups your choice...

gotta edit sound by editing 2 lines

and lan works by installing skge drivers for marvell yukon

and you gotta buy firewire..

so technically its better because lan works too!

I just installed 10.4.7JaS on a

ASUS P5WDH Deluxe, 975X

Intel 6600

2 Mb RAM (oem)

3 x SATA seagate (Mac XP Vista)

I have not figured out sound yet

I thought the mob would have "ALC880"

but it came with "REALTEK"

which I could not find the kext for it yet

Hi! Want to get this board too! Actually, the onboard sound should be a "Realtek ALC882M", so just try to find out the correct DEVID and try the instructions for the ALC880 here in the forum! Good luck!

Did you have problems with the IDE DVD drive? Or do you have a SATA? I think the P-ATA controller doesn't get recognized by OSX. How did you install it?

So... I'm going to buy an Asus P5B with P965's chipset and a Conroe E6400: because I'm new of installing osx86 and about new hardware (see my signature :D ) do you think it's a good choice?

I don't want to overclock, no games, no firewire.. I just want a configuration to use Osx and make some homerecording (with the delta 1010Lt)... is there anyone who can give me some advise?

Thank you a lot

Roberto

@RoLuneX:

why you want 965? i wouldnt want that for osx now, since you have surely read, it doesnt yet work flawlessly with osx. why not buy a (almost fully) supported chipset like 945 or 975? 975 will give you good oc-capabilities, if you are into a cheaper system try something like 945G chipset. or even better wait for the core2duo-update of the new macs (imac mabye) and check what chipset they are going to use for that.

Cheerio

The reason is simple: I know that 965 is the most suitable chipset for homerecording, but I've chose this chipset BEFORE discovering Osx86. So, now, I got to look for another motherboard and try to find something usefull for both thing..

@RoLuneX:

why you want 965? i wouldnt want that for osx now, since you have surely read, it doesnt yet work flawlessly with osx. why not buy a (almost fully) supported chipset like 945 or 975? 975 will give you good oc-capabilities, if you are into a cheaper system try something like 945G chipset. or even better wait for the core2duo-update of the new macs (imac mabye) and check what chipset they are going to use for that.

Cheerio

This is great! i'm having a rig that's quiet the same as yours but with an Asrock conroe945G-DVI and a 320gb HDD sata II. is it real stable? any bugs ?

Yes, it works stable at 100% (four hours of 'compressor' encoding with no problem) and no bugs for now (Mail, iTunes, DVDSP, FCP, iPhoto, Aperture working fine... Using it 4hours/day without problem (for now!!) )

I finally came back to 285Mhz because I change the intel PWM to a Scythe Ninja plus, so now it's quiet and powerful (enough for my use today).

I still can't boot with FSB > 285Mhz (black screen at boot)

I wonder if 945G could get better oveclocking when disabling internal graphics and using an external PCI-E vga card ?

Find as attachment the new xbench results (few improvement)

xbench_285.txt

snikx .... what a good xbench !!!!

my core duo 20" is not so good !!!

take a look :

results : 116,67

cpu test 76,49

thread test : 193,87

memory 117,74

quartz gfx 114,98

opengl gfx 146,49

ui 189,32

disk 80,21

Can you describe me your exact config cpu , mobo , ram gfx sound etc .. ?

Hi! Want to get this board too! Actually, the onboard sound should be a "Realtek ALC882M", so just try to find out the correct DEVID and try the instructions for the ALC880 here in the forum! Good luck!

Did you have problems with the IDE DVD drive? Or do you have a SATA? I think the P-ATA controller doesn't get recognized by OSX. How did you install it?

I just installed the first 2 patches of 10.4.7JaS on a blanc SATA

everything works

updates

all kinds of apps

import bookmarks mailboxes from windblows

USB firewire

I can see the vista and the XP drive

take stuff from both drives

SATA works with 10.4.6 and 10.4.7

SATA did not work for me with 10.4.1

I will delete VISTA it's terrible and install OSX86

snikx .... what a good xbench !!!!

Can you describe me your exact config cpu , mobo , ram gfx sound etc .. ?

Hardware is :

- CPU : Core2Duo E6300 (1,86Ghz)

- Motherboard : Asus P5LD2-VM/C (R2.0 PCB) with integrated graphics (GMA950 inside i945G chipset)

- 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2

- 250GB HDD SAMSUNG SATAII

- Seasonic S12 power supply

Setup is :

- default timing on RAM (SPD detected)

- GMA950 : bios setup 8Mb / Auto

- FSB is 285Mhz (few improvements from 266Mhz)

- Jas 10.4.7 dvd (SSE3+combo 10.4.7 activated+GMA900(?) driver)

- Just patched Azalia kext for audio

Hope it helps

PS: I think Core2duo are really faster than core1duo. Future mactel will be awsome !!

Hardware is :

- CPU : Core2Duo E6300 (1,86Ghz)

- Motherboard : Asus P5LD2-VM/C (R2.0 PCB) with integrated graphics (GMA950 inside i945G chipset)

- 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2

- 250GB HDD SAMSUNG SATAII

- Seasonic S12 power supply

Setup is :

- default timing on RAM (SPD detected)

- GMA950 : bios setup 8Mb / Auto

- FSB is 285Mhz (few improvements from 266Mhz)

- Jas 10.4.7 dvd (SSE3+combo 10.4.7 activated+GMA900(?) driver)

- Just patched Azalia kext for audio

Hope it helps

PS: I think Core2duo are really faster than core1duo. Future mactel will be awsome !!

Congrats! you got a very good hackintosh, maybe you just had to ship out an asrock instead of the P5LD2, it's cheaper and goes up to 320mhz fsb when pci-e is sync.

My current mini G4 1.25 / 1gb gets 43.6 @ XBENCH, with a e6300 @ 2240mhz and the seagate sata II 320gb i would probably be able to do better so i'll get a system 3x faster than the mini, that's awesome!

Your question was very interesting and i was thinking about the same : what would give an 945G with a pcie card in overclocking? i had the same problem with an asus A8nVM-CSM with a GF6150 integrated to the nforce chipset, i couldnt even boot at 215mhz while i know that some could get 250mhz with a pci-e card!

My current mini G4 1.25 / 1gb gets 43.6 @ XBENCH, with a e6300 @ 2240mhz and the seagate sata II 320gb i would probably be able to do better so i'll get a system 3x faster than the mini, that's awesome!

My current ibook G4 (768MB) gets 35 with internal disk. For performance, i use an external FW HDD for booting and working with the ibook... But now, ibook is only my 'mobile solution', i found a much better desktop !

You will not believe the speed of your new config !! I'am amazed by the speed of booting/encoding/... You just asks and it's done !

When you will have your new config, tell us your feeling.

Yes, i hope so! i get 43.6 @ Xbench with the internal HDD too, and i dont want to use an external Firewire HDD because it's about 2x bigger ...

My new hackintosh will stand up friday or saturday, of course i will do a full review of the mobo, and post some xbench. Have you tried updates? i mean security or software ones?

I have received my DVD SATA and works, but only work plugged on the ICH8 in IDE legacy mode. This is recognized as ATA device

For the rest of devices as HD SATA II the sata port of Gigabyte in AHCI mode must be used, with a very good rate of transference. I think that the GA-965P-DS4 is a good option.

I saw your xbench scores, so i ran it on mine and...I don't really understand the xbench scores, i'm guessing higher is better??

(i undersstand the HD read/write, and the squares FPS, but i dont know about the rest...)

My chipset is a 945GM, Centrino Duo (1.66ghz), 1mb ddr2,

would someone mind explaining my scores to me?

Results- 58.82

CPU - 60.94

Thread - 154.33

Memory 95.95

Stream - 105.05

Quartz - 100.05

OpenGL - 179.93

Disk - 15.18 (its an external :/ )