fresh for Lion from source : single 32 and 64bit kernels

44 posts in this topic

why then does the compiled kernel in contrast save 200MB memory, and - according to you - the extracted one doesn't? What's the logic behind that?
yeah, and probably a better idea; the last time i looked, Apple was not sharing all the sources for the mach_kernel.

Some stuff (that i can't remember the name atm) is missing from the sources so, beware...

only compile the kernel if you really need to

You can use any kernel you want! Peace :wacko:

Would this kernel be fully functional on a real Mac? Sounds like a real performance boost, with 200MB savings and faster boot. Why would Apple not do this?

Seems the hackers are always one step ahead. As McDonald's so aptly says....

I'm Lovin It.

:P

iKahuna

Hi there,

Can you please write a step by step, "How-to compile Lion Kernel"? :(

What version of Xcode is required? What other tools need to be compiled before?

Can it be compiled on Snow Leopard / is Lion required? etc...

Hey but for amd processor nothing?? i need these kernel....so now anyone that as a mac with osx lion or an hackintosh with lion can modify lion kernel sources to get amd work?? Thank you for any reply

I am also waiting for the AMD Legacy kernel, I am still using 10.6.8 and very eager to touch Lion, hey by the way ( off topic sorry for that) , my DVD ROM no more detected after I updated to 10.6.8 ( it didn't even work on 10.6.7), any suggestions?

AMD CPU, 4 GB, 1 TB for Windows|500 GB ( Dedicated) for Mac, Nvidia 8600GT.

It is not only a matter of modifying the kernel to enable Rosetta on Lion. We need to modify /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreServicesUIAgent/Contents/MacOS/CoreServicesUIAgent where it detects PowerPC code then show a dialog that PowerPC is no longer supported which of message is stored in Contents/Resources/*.lproj/LaunchErrors.strings.

CoreServicesUIAgent alone is only 197kb. Since I only have debugging experience on Windows system, I cannot help yet. So if someone with ability could patch it, we could get closer to working Rosetta on Lion I assume.

I wonder if we could swap CoreServicesUIAgent on Lion with that of on Snow Leopard. I doubt it would work without any problem though...

The kernel of 10.7 Lion by the way set RosettaNonGrata as only one available exec_archhandler_ppc for PowerPC code. I guess there is not much work to do in the kernel source to enable Rosetta on Lion.

Hope this information helps..

Ok. Here it goes. I have replaced the original Lion CoreServicesUIAgent.app with one from Snow Leopard Install Disc. And would you like know what happened?

It said it could not find Rosetta environment and asked if I would like to install.. instead of 'PowerPC is no longer supported' message. If I click 'Install' button, Software Update.app launched, searched and said the software was unavailable and to install from Optional Install on Installation Disc. Well, since it is not Snow Leopard, it is understandable that it could not find Rosetta for the system. However, actually I have installed Rosetta.pkg manually. Does someone know how CoreServicesUIAgent.app detect Rosetta environment? Or should I install Rosetta differently than double-clicking on pkg file?

Even if this leads to working Rosetta, need to test whether there is any problem with CoreServicesUIAgent.app from Snow Leopard running on Lion.

• 2 weeks later...
"legacy" refers to OLDER unsupported Intel CPUs. Kernels for AMD are filed under 'hacked' or 'modded' .. ;)

legacy_kernel is the name of the kernel that supports AMD, because AMD kernels can't boot with arch=x86_64, so, amd needs to boot in legacy mode (32 bit, arch=i386) and also AMD can boot with 32 bit kernel space and 64 bit userspace (-force64).

AMD cant boot vanilla kernel

Legacy_kernel for amd

http://osx86.co/f36/legacy-kernel-10-6-8-w...tom-dyld-t7318/

XD

ur TRYING to be precise .. :blink: this is Andy's 10.6.8 legacy kernel for SSE2 etc., INCLUDING the AMD CPU-ID etc. patches. There have been tons of Intel only legacy kernels in the hackintosh history. Look up the meaning of the workd legacy or translate into your native language, then you'll understand. legacy does NOT per se mean AMD, it means support for older CPUs, that's all. A kernel incl. patches to also support AMD can also support the most recent AMD kernels (like I think Andy's compile you linked to), which completely leads the term 'legacy' ad absurdum.

So: a legacy kernel MIGHT support AMD, but is NOT obliged to do so per definition.

U dig now ;) ?

ur TRYING to be precise .. :blink: this is Andy's 10.6.8 legacy kernel for SSE2 etc., INCLUDING the AMD CPU-ID etc. patches. There have been tons of Intel only legacy kernels in the hackintosh history. Look up the meaning of the workd legacy or translate into your native language, then you'll understand. legacy does NOT per se mean AMD, it means support for older CPUs, that's all. A kernel incl. patches to also support AMD can also support the most recent AMD kernels (like I think Andy's compile you linked to), which completely leads the term 'legacy' ad absurdum.

So: a legacy kernel MIGHT support AMD, but is NOT obliged to do so per definition.

U dig now ;) ?

I was talking about legacy_kernel (Developed by andy and nawcom), with the underscore between!!! :wacko:

Pero como que estamos hablando de Rosetta y no de algo tan estúpido xd

In terminal, if you try something like this, will it work???

/usr/libexec/oah/translate /Applications/Max Payne/Mac Payne.app/Contents/MacOS/Max Payne

I don't have Lion since there is no legacy_kernel for amd yet :(

It does not work that way as far as I concern.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys!

When I compile the kernel I get these errors even if the kernel seems work good.

Could you explain how to avoid these errors?

ERROR: ctfconvert: dtrace_alloc.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: startup64.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: HybridAllocator.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: chud_glue.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: key_debug.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: mach_clock.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: counters.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: kxld_stubs.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: inffast.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: mac_stub.o doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: ctfconvert: IOCommandQueue.cpo doesn't have type data to convert
ERROR: OSBoolean.cpp: failed to get mapping for tid 16915