Dual boot Win XP Pro 64-bit on a 2011 MacBook Pro?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Neekolas86

Neekolas86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone,

I am searching for advice or instructions on how to configure my 2011 MacBook Pro to dual boot Windows XP Professional 64-bit or OS X (I currently run 10.6.8 but plan to upgrade to Lion). Virtualization is not an option for me nor is Windows 7. Windows XP Pro 64-bit will solely be used for one program only: NinjaTrader

I have searched extensively online for instructions with no luck. I am posting this question on both the Insanely Mac and tonymacx86 forums so please forgive my double forum posting!

System Specs:
2.30 GHz i7-2820QM
128 GB Crucial SSD M4 SATA III

Can anyone provide instructions, advice, info, etc. that might help?

Best regards,

Nick

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
The problem is not with the install process, problem is that you probably will not find 64-bit drivers for XP. There are 32-bit drivers for XP in Boot Camp. Also there are 64-bit drivers for Windows 7/Vista in latest Boot Camp.

I've installed 64-bit XP on iMac a while ago. It have installed perfectly. The only problem was with drivers. So I've reinstalled 32-bit XP.

If you have all drivers needed (or know where these could be found), go ahead and install. The process is the same as with 32-bit Windows XP. There are many guides on the subject.

Question is why not Windows 7? 64-bit Windows XP is an OS that should not have existed. Just like Vista. I've used XP 64-bit for a few years (till Windos 7 came out). All I can say that Windows 7 64-bit is far superior then XP 64-bit. It may not work faster but it works much better (not to mention all the bells and whistles it has).

Neekolas86

Neekolas86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for responding 3.14r2. There are a few reasons why I need Win XP Pro 64-bit over Windows 7:

-I need Win XP 64 to utilize my 8 GB of RAM
-NinjaTrader is the more stable on XP Pro 64-bit than Win 7
-The bells and whistles on Win 7 are one of the main reasons I need Win XP 64 instead. They consume processing resources which would lag my system during trading. The driver issue concerns me but I will be simulation trading for about month until I know everything works.

I didn't realize the dual boot process was the same as XP 32-bit, thanks.

Which dual booter do you recommend I use? I have Boot Camp installed but it seems like other Mac owners choose other dual booting programs over Boot Camp. Can you please provide a link to one of the dual boot guides you mentioned?

Thanks again!

Nick

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Can you please provide a link to one of the dual boot guides you mentioned?

http://www.techprave...-boot-camp.html

I have Boot Camp installed but it seems like other Mac owners choose other dual booting programs over Boot Camp

rEFIt it has a nice boot menu so you don't need to press Option key each time to chose which OS to boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy