Dual boot Win XP Pro 64-bit on a 2011 MacBook Pro?

Neekolas86

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am searching for advice or instructions on how to configure my 2011 MacBook Pro to dual boot Windows XP Professional 64-bit or OS X (I currently run 10.6.8 but plan to upgrade to Lion). Virtualization is not an option for me nor is Windows 7. Windows XP Pro 64-bit will solely be used for one program only: NinjaTrader

I have searched extensively online for instructions with no luck. I am posting this question on both the Insanely Mac and tonymacx86 forums so please forgive my double forum posting!

System Specs:

2.30 GHz i7-2820QM

128 GB Crucial SSD M4 SATA III

Can anyone provide instructions, advice, info, etc. that might help?

Best regards,

Nick

The problem is not with the install process, problem is that you probably will not find 64-bit drivers for XP. There are 32-bit drivers for XP in Boot Camp. Also there are 64-bit drivers for Windows 7/Vista in latest Boot Camp.

I've installed 64-bit XP on iMac a while ago. It have installed perfectly. The only problem was with drivers. So I've reinstalled 32-bit XP.

If you have all drivers needed (or know where these could be found), go ahead and install. The process is the same as with 32-bit Windows XP. There are many guides on the subject.

Question is why not Windows 7? 64-bit Windows XP is an OS that should not have existed. Just like Vista. I've used XP 64-bit for a few years (till Windos 7 came out). All I can say that Windows 7 64-bit is far superior then XP 64-bit. It may not work faster but it works much better (not to mention all the bells and whistles it has).

Thank you for responding 3.14r2. There are a few reasons why I need Win XP Pro 64-bit over Windows 7:

-I need Win XP 64 to utilize my 8 GB of RAM

-NinjaTrader is the more stable on XP Pro 64-bit than Win 7

-The bells and whistles on Win 7 are one of the main reasons I need Win XP 64 instead. They consume processing resources which would lag my system during trading. The driver issue concerns me but I will be simulation trading for about month until I know everything works.

I didn't realize the dual boot process was the same as XP 32-bit, thanks.

Which dual booter do you recommend I use? I have Boot Camp installed but it seems like other Mac owners choose other dual booting programs over Boot Camp. Can you please provide a link to one of the dual boot guides you mentioned?

Thanks again!

Nick

Can you please provide a link to one of the dual boot guides you mentioned?

http://www.techpraveen.com/2011/05/how-to-...-boot-camp.html

I have Boot Camp installed but it seems like other Mac owners choose other dual booting programs over Boot Camp
rEFIt it has a nice boot menu so you don't need to press Option key each time to chose which OS to boot.