Installed on MBP. How to upgrade hackint0sh?

yelloguy

3 posts in this topic

I upgraded my SL macbook pro to Lion last night. Completely uneventful. Now I want to upgrade the hackint0sh I have (Dell Inspiron 530 with Nvidia 8600 GTS running SL 10.6.8 perfectly except for sleep). All the tutorials I am seeing are about doing a clean install. But that would take too long. I was wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded a snow leopard hack to Lion? Any tutorials? Or am I stuck doing a clean install and sucking up everything from my Time Machine backup?

Thanks in advance.

I upgraded my SL macbook pro to Lion last night. Completely uneventful. Now I want to upgrade the hackint0sh I have (Dell Inspiron 530 with Nvidia 8600 GTS running SL 10.6.8 perfectly except for sleep). All the tutorials I am seeing are about doing a clean install. But that would take too long. I was wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded a snow leopard hack to Lion? Any tutorials? Or am I stuck doing a clean install and sucking up everything from my Time Machine backup?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can install OS X Lion; it is a seamless upgrade. But to keep it safe (they say!); (1) Add another OS X partition on your drive (have enough space to clone your Snow Leopard partition). (2) Clone your working OS X Snow Leopard to the new partition. (3) Get OS Lion upgrade from App Store and upgrade OS X Lion to whichever partition you select. Tarahhhhh!, peanut butter sandwiches ... :-)

Yes, you can install OS X Lion; it is a seamless upgrade. But to keep it safe (they say!); (1) Add another OS X partition on your drive (have enough space to clone your Snow Leopard partition). (2) Clone your working OS X Snow Leopard to the new partition. (3) Get OS Lion upgrade from App Store and upgrade OS X Lion to whichever partition you select. Tarahhhhh!, peanut butter sandwiches ... :-)

Thanks E. So it is a simple upgrade like the macbook pro? I have a 500 GB hdd and snow leaopard has more than 400 GB in use (pictures and music, mostly) so cloning is not going to be possible. But I do have a Time Machine backup on external so, worst case, I will rebuild everything and suck the backup into Lion.

I currently have Chameleon booting into SL and I think I installed a couple of kexts into E/E and I have a couple other extensions in the Chameleon boot loader partition.