Upgrading to Lion

HeyYoWL

19 posts in this topic

Ah.. well the reason I'm still on 10.6.3 is because when I upgraded to 10.6.8 my wi-fi stopped working. Even with the same broadcom card that was working just fine when I had 10.6.3. I don't suppose anyone knows what happened? Do I just need to reinstall the kext or something? Does anyone have a Broadcom kext that supports a wide range of cards I could use?

Ah.. well the reason I'm still on 10.6.3 is because when I upgraded to 10.6.8 my wi-fi stopped working. Even with the same broadcom card that was working just fine when I had 10.6.3. I don't suppose anyone knows what happened? Do I just need to reinstall the kext or something? Does anyone have a Broadcom kext that supports a wide range of cards I could use?

Mention the model of the broadcom wireless

Hey all, I was just wondering if I need to upgrade to 10.6.8 before switching to Lion, or is 10.6.3 ok?

At least 10.6.6 because that is when the App Store was implemented. My suggestion, install OS X Lion and debug (use the wi-fi kexts that worked on 10.6.3) your wireless from here.

The thing is, I didn't need to install any kext to get it working. Once I put in the card into my netbook, it just worked. No added kexts needed. But once I upgraded through Software Update, it no longer works.

Actually now that I look in About this Mac, it says my card type is 'Third Party Wireless Card'. Is there any generic driver I could use?

Would I be able to just backup my Extra folder and Extensions, replace it once I upgrade and have everything working?

Ideally, you should and must only replace the non-working kexts because upgraded kexts are fixed kexts from the last version.

Do I need any older kexts from 10.6.7 then Gringo? I was reading that other thread you mentioned regarding the wi-fi issue I was having. Should I make a backup of my current kernel along with replacing those 2 kexts mentioned in that thread to get everything working smoothly?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't say, I am not familiar with your hardware.

I don't need anything from 10.6.7 on my Hack (well except AppleHDA but that's just because I haven't bothered with patching the 10.6.8 one yet).

Read the whole 10.6.8 release thread to learn about potential issues and keep backups of the files mentioned etc etc.

There are many things you could go ahead and do before updating such as making sure your smbios.plist is correct, that you have the latest fakesmc installed and whatever else that doesn't involve modifying files that will be replaced by the update.