Kakewalk 4: Makes installing Lion a breeze

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

septicdeath

septicdeath

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 34 posts
What selection would you suggest be taken for the z68a-d3h-b3, I actually missed when ordering the z68x-ud3h-b3, which is too funny. I have been using kakewalk on my x58-ud5 since the first release, just always enjoyed the success that its given me.

I've tried to compare the z68 chipset against each other, and they seem to be pretty simular, in all actuality it seems that the amount of rear port usb ports and the addition or deletion of a onboard 1394a seem to be about it, they all use the same z68 sata controller, same usb3 controller, etc.

I suppose I could just start guessing, but thought I might ask since someone might have already done the work. I actually installed the ssd while externally mounted to my x58-ud5 and transfered it to my new z68a-d2h-b3 and it booted just fine, ethernet and sound didn't work, and it wouldnt wake from Sleep properly. so I grabbed ##### and installed the sound and ethernet that way and it all works, except when resuming from sleep when pressing the keyboard/mouse, the keystoke registers cause it awakens, but you have to disconnect and reconnect the usb keyboard/mouse to get it to work once it wake. all powered usb external hard drives also warn that they were disconnected improperly, so I know this isnt the correct solution, before playing around, I thought I would come ask which kakewalk board to choose, since its always all worked out of the box.

Tsubako

Tsubako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 47 posts
Success.

I've finally installed Lion with a satisfactory configuration; I'm using this hardware:

Pentium G840 (Sandy bridge)
Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 v1.1
4 gb ram Kingston
Sapphire HD5670 1gb

Need:
Purchased lion app
8 Gb usb key
##### for lion
DSDT.aml from DSDT database (Kakewalk uses the 1.0 version)

Sleep works, audio works (not through HDMI) and full QE/CI using graphics enabler = NO.
Network works installing the realtek 2.0.6 installer from ##### for lion
Hard disks are seen as USB drives, yellow icons; fixed using the correct kext in ##### for lion.

Now.

What I would like to know is how to modify my usb installer as much as possible to avoid later steps after the lion installation.

I've already modified the boot.plist file on the usb to use graphics enabler NO, and this way I can install the system in 1080p resolution.
After the reboot though, I need to edit the boot file on my system, as graphics enabler there is still set to YES.
My card works OOTB in Lion, so I really would love to avoid this step.

Is there a way to fix this?
Also, I would like to add the correct DSDT file onto the usb key, and the other required kext as well if possible.

Thank you in advance.

PS: it feels bad to be so super noob.

petaminox

petaminox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have a EP45-DS3L and Kakewalk 4.1 was well, a cakewalk. All functions work expected with the exception of sleep. Whenever I try to sleep the computer, the display would go off but the computer would remain running. Any solutions?

TIA

electrotech555

electrotech555

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Amazing! Can you install this using a separate partition to boot from, instead of a USB Drive?

klh6686

klh6686

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I'm trying to run kakewalk off of a usb drive, and I run the process by selecting install to usb, select lion, select my motherboard and then the usb drive and 20 minutes later the process is finished. However, I have been unable to boot to the drive having tried the process twice (I have SL installed on this system ex58-ud3r) and I don't typically have problems booting to usb. Any ideas?

knipple

knipple

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to install Lion using your method but every time i try to install, it hangs at AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement timing out.

My hardware is as follows:
Gigabyte GA-X58-Extreme
Intel Core I7-975
6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
2 X ATI Radeon HD5970
3 X 500 GB SATA Harddrives

Does anyone know how to get around this error?

Thanks.

tofuconfetti

tofuconfetti

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I have used a hybrid Kakewalk method five times on five different systems and it works great. Thanks for your work on the Kakewalk software, mrjanek.

I have this confirmed working on these boards:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P, GA-Z68XP-UD4 (my favorite because USB 3.0 and eSATA work great), GA-Z68XP-UD5 (no USB 3.0 and don't try the NEC/Renesas drivers, it locks it up), the GA-P55-UD5, and GA-P55-UD4P. I used Nvidia GTX-240 cards on the P55 boards and either a Gigabyte Radeon 6870 or 6850 on the Z68 boards.

One trick a guy named An4rchyst came up with is if your board isn't "supported", just pick one close and substitute your actual DSDT for the DSDT.aml file in the /Extras folder on the Kakewalk stick. Worked every time for me :-) So if you are getting funny results, try that.

Another note, after the install, I did not use the Kakewalk method as the permanent bootloader. I only used it to boot back into the system. Then I used the tonymacx86 ##### tool to install the kexts I needed on the OSX Lion system and used the chimera bootloader from the ##### tool. After that each system was fully functional.

The Kakewalk software is an excellent way to install Lion directly without the upgrade headache!

mrjanek

mrjanek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Kakewalk 4.1.1 released with support for 10.7.2, iCloud and FaceTime!
Visit kakewalk.se

cravendc5

cravendc5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
hey i have kakewalk 4.1.1 with snow leopard 10.6.8 and it runs flawlessly with my nvidia 8800GT, i used to have SLI with the 2 x 8800 GT's they ran without any problem, however 1 card finally died. So I have 2 questions because I am upgrading this Hackintosh with a NEW video card setup AND building a brand new one.

1.if i buy a EVGA nvidia 285GTX can i just install it and run without any problems? can i run it in SLI if i buy 2? OR should i Just SLI 2 x 260 GTX?

NOW for the NEW Hackintosh, there is NO more Gigabyte UD5's or UD7's. Why is the UD3R still around? Does kakewalk 4.1.1 support the newer USB3 boards?

I need a board that is supported and at least as fast and reliable as my UD5 board.

Thanks for the help.

Hicks1gb

Hicks1gb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:**Asus N71JQ, Core i7 - 720QM, ATI Mobility Radeon 5730 VRAM 1 GB
    **P5KPL/EPU, Core2 Quad...
Please, add notebooks compatibility...
ASUS N71JQ

;)

l0z

l0z

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried to update my 10.7.0 install to 10.7.3 (on a GA-X58-UD5) and got a kernel panic while the .pkg was installing. Now i can't boot into OS X. Is there any way of trying to boot in safe mode and running the Kakewalk app again? Thanks in advance for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy