Kakewalk 4: Makes installing Lion a breeze

mrjanek

171 posts in this topic

Kakewalk is a simple method for installing Lion on a PC.

If you're happy with my work please consider donating :D Thanks a lot!

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Compatible motherboards:

You'll find a list of compatible motherboards here.

Visit Kakewalk.se

Visit kakewalk.se to get more information on how to install Lion on your PC using Kakewalk.

Hi mrjanek, First of all I want to thank for your effort to provide this wonderful installing wizard at ease, however after my attempt update fail, I try to reinstall it again and everything went well until it try to boot up from the Lion Volume, it get stuck at the end of Bios where it say " Verifying DMI Pool Data" and never go any further, I re-check and double check my Bios but could not find anything wrong, so can you or any fellows here shine some light on me please. Thanks in advance.

PS: I found the Problem. Kakewalk 4.0.4 is an issue with my board, go back to cakewalk 4.0.1 it works. Thanks anyway.

Hello people, first of all, i think is wonderfull what you have made..... is awesome... congrats!!!!

I`m newer on this world hackingtosh, and i would like to know how to install this kakewalk on my X58A-UD3R i`m also have a ati sapphire 6750 and i would like to know if you have that patch for this gpu....

i have check the website http://www.kakewalk.se/ very nice, but i download both are available kakewalk 3.1 and 4.0.4 and there are not a .iso files, it were a zip files of 58 mb , so i would like to know how to get it those .iso....

As you can see, im newer on this..... but if you show me how to do it, it would be so helpfull for me!!!!

thanxx from now!!!!!

Hello people, first of all, i think is wonderfull what you have made..... is awesome... congrats!!!!

I`m newer on this world hackingtosh, and i would like to know how to install this kakewalk on my X58A-UD3R i`m also have a ati sapphire 6750 and i would like to know if you have that patch for this gpu....

i have check the website http://www.kakewalk.se/ very nice, but i download both are available kakewalk 3.1 and 4.0.4 and there are not a .iso files, it were a zip files of 58 mb , so i would like to know how to get it those .iso....

As you can see, im newer on this..... but if you show me how to do it, it would be so helpfull for me!!!!

thanxx from now!!!!!

After you download 4.0.4 zip then extract it you will find a instruction pdf read throughly and follow these step and you will be fine. However you will first need a real Macintosh Computer or a working Hacintosh to prep files for the installing USB boot drive. Good luck to you.

My question is I have 2 partitions Lion on one and a fat32 partition on the other, I can't seem to get windows to install as it's automatically booting up lion, I ve tried changing boot options etc... but nothing seems to work. Any ideas ????

and last but not least, Kakewalk is the king, forget the rest of the {censored} out there, so easy like it should be, thank a mill !

Cheers

After you download 4.0.4 zip then extract it you will find a instruction pdf read throughly and follow these step and you will be fine. However you will first need a real Macintosh Computer or a working Hacintosh to prep files for the installing USB boot drive. Good luck to you.

i gotta!!!!

thanxxx!!!! i will try..... do you know about my gpu ati sapphire HD 6750 will work?

if you have the way, please let me know!!!! id device:1002 id vendor: 0x68fb

once again thanxxx!!!!

Hi Guys

Thanks to mrjanek (using kakewalk 4.0.4) I have successfully installed Lion (and updated to 10.7.1) on my PC (spec in my sig). I have everything working except getting my graphics card to recognise.

So far

Graphicsenabler does not work (=Yes results in blank screen after verbose boot),

OSX86 tools does not work (returns with an error of not being able to write the strings to boot.plist),

EFIstudio did seem to write the strings to boot.plist but after several reeboots my graphics card is still at 1024x768 res

NVenabler kext does not work

Is there anything else I can try to get it fully working or do i need to change my (fully working) graphics card.

Thanks in advance.

PS : I am on F12 BIOS on my motherboard if it helps and everything was working ok on my snow leopard install before.

OK, I still have not been able to get Kakewalk to work again for me.

I previouly had gotten Lion to install and work, but it won' reinstall. I have two differnt 8GB USB drives to use. I just re-downloaded (3rd time) the Lion disc image. I cannot get Kakewalk to go through the first part, where I choose install to USB. I have an empty HD for Lion, no partition problems. Previous install: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1729928

Kakewalk log:

File "restorethread.pyc", line 47, in format_usb_stick
TypeError: 'bool' object is not iterable

we've got root!
we've got root!
2011-09-04 19:38:24.866 diskutil[194:903] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
                /Volumes/SANDISK
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "threading.pyc", line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
 File "restorethread.pyc", line 17, in run
 File "restorethread.pyc", line 24, in start_restore

we've got root!
we've got root!
2011-09-04 19:40:48.261 diskutil[240:903] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
                /Volumes/SANDISK
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "threading.pyc", line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
 File "restorethread.pyc", line 17, in run
 File "restorethread.pyc", line 24, in start_restore

• 2 weeks later...

Great work! Installed using Kakewalk 4.1 on:

Intel i5-2500K Processor

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard

Kingston 8GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

EVGA GTX 460 1GB PCIE Video Card

Hitachi 1.5TB 7200 SATA 6.0 Hard Drive

Samsung 22X SATA DVD/RW

Vantec 58 in 1 Media Reader

Installed without issue and reads the correct graphics card (why I went to Lion, could not get the GTX 460 working on SL). Sound works from rear port, front USB reader works, reads music CD's. I plan on testing further but am really happy with the new Lion PC, it looks great with the graphics card working now!!

Thanks to the developer!!!

Dear mrjanek,

First of all, a big thank you for your effort. Thanks to you, I have now a "mac pro.." functioning with Lion 10.7.

I must say though, there is a problem. You should be aware that the configuration you are suggesting on your website uses a Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 (see here: http://www.kakewalk.se/computer-builds/), and when you receive it at home you find a 1.1 version.

So, people who build that pc have a 1.1 config while the actual kakewalk release let you choose only H67M-D2-B3 without 1.0 or 1.1 version.

After the installation, audio and ethernet don't work, sleep crash the machine, itunes is a no go and same for DVD player.

I guess it can be fixed using the correct DSDT and kext for the 1.1 version (see DSDT database) but I wanted to inform you cause other people may be considering buying the suggested pc configuration :)

Take care

What selection would you suggest be taken for the z68a-d3h-b3, I actually missed when ordering the z68x-ud3h-b3, which is too funny. I have been using kakewalk on my x58-ud5 since the first release, just always enjoyed the success that its given me.

I've tried to compare the z68 chipset against each other, and they seem to be pretty simular, in all actuality it seems that the amount of rear port usb ports and the addition or deletion of a onboard 1394a seem to be about it, they all use the same z68 sata controller, same usb3 controller, etc.

I suppose I could just start guessing, but thought I might ask since someone might have already done the work. I actually installed the ssd while externally mounted to my x58-ud5 and transfered it to my new z68a-d2h-b3 and it booted just fine, ethernet and sound didn't work, and it wouldnt wake from Sleep properly. so I grabbed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and installed the sound and ethernet that way and it all works, except when resuming from sleep when pressing the keyboard/mouse, the keystoke registers cause it awakens, but you have to disconnect and reconnect the usb keyboard/mouse to get it to work once it wake. all powered usb external hard drives also warn that they were disconnected improperly, so I know this isnt the correct solution, before playing around, I thought I would come ask which kakewalk board to choose, since its always all worked out of the box.

Success.

I've finally installed Lion with a satisfactory configuration; I'm using this hardware:

Pentium G840 (Sandy bridge)

Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 v1.1

4 gb ram Kingston

Sapphire HD5670 1gb

Need:

Purchased lion app

8 Gb usb key

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for lion

DSDT.aml from DSDT database (Kakewalk uses the 1.0 version)

Sleep works, audio works (not through HDMI) and full QE/CI using graphics enabler = NO.

Network works installing the realtek 2.0.6 installer from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for lion

Hard disks are seen as USB drives, yellow icons; fixed using the correct kext in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for lion.

Now.

What I would like to know is how to modify my usb installer as much as possible to avoid later steps after the lion installation.

I've already modified the boot.plist file on the usb to use graphics enabler NO, and this way I can install the system in 1080p resolution.

After the reboot though, I need to edit the boot file on my system, as graphics enabler there is still set to YES.

My card works OOTB in Lion, so I really would love to avoid this step.

Is there a way to fix this?

Also, I would like to add the correct DSDT file onto the usb key, and the other required kext as well if possible.

Thank you in advance.

PS: it feels bad to be so super noob.

I'm trying to run kakewalk off of a usb drive, and I run the process by selecting install to usb, select lion, select my motherboard and then the usb drive and 20 minutes later the process is finished. However, I have been unable to boot to the drive having tried the process twice (I have SL installed on this system ex58-ud3r) and I don't typically have problems booting to usb. Any ideas?

I am trying to install Lion using your method but every time i try to install, it hangs at AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement timing out.

My hardware is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-X58-Extreme

Intel Core I7-975

6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866

2 X ATI Radeon HD5970

3 X 500 GB SATA Harddrives

Does anyone know how to get around this error?

Thanks.

I have used a hybrid Kakewalk method five times on five different systems and it works great. Thanks for your work on the Kakewalk software, mrjanek.

I have this confirmed working on these boards:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P, GA-Z68XP-UD4 (my favorite because USB 3.0 and eSATA work great), GA-Z68XP-UD5 (no USB 3.0 and don't try the NEC/Renesas drivers, it locks it up), the GA-P55-UD5, and GA-P55-UD4P. I used Nvidia GTX-240 cards on the P55 boards and either a Gigabyte Radeon 6870 or 6850 on the Z68 boards.

One trick a guy named An4rchyst came up with is if your board isn't "supported", just pick one close and substitute your actual DSDT for the DSDT.aml file in the /Extras folder on the Kakewalk stick. Worked every time for me :-) So if you are getting funny results, try that.

Another note, after the install, I did not use the Kakewalk method as the permanent bootloader. I only used it to boot back into the system. Then I used the tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] tool to install the kexts I needed on the OSX Lion system and used the chimera bootloader from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] tool. After that each system was fully functional.

The Kakewalk software is an excellent way to install Lion directly without the upgrade headache!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey i have kakewalk 4.1.1 with snow leopard 10.6.8 and it runs flawlessly with my nvidia 8800GT, i used to have SLI with the 2 x 8800 GT's they ran without any problem, however 1 card finally died. So I have 2 questions because I am upgrading this Hackintosh with a NEW video card setup AND building a brand new one.

1.if i buy a EVGA nvidia 285GTX can i just install it and run without any problems? can i run it in SLI if i buy 2? OR should i Just SLI 2 x 260 GTX?

NOW for the NEW Hackintosh, there is NO more Gigabyte UD5's or UD7's. Why is the UD3R still around? Does kakewalk 4.1.1 support the newer USB3 boards?

I need a board that is supported and at least as fast and reliable as my UD5 board.

Thanks for the help.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to update my 10.7.0 install to 10.7.3 (on a GA-X58-UD5) and got a kernel panic while the .pkg was installing. Now i can't boot into OS X. Is there any way of trying to boot in safe mode and running the Kakewalk app again? Thanks in advance for your help.