Lion Install - No HDD

kth

23 posts in this topic

I have followed the install instructions on this site, installer starts ok but the hard drive does not show up in disk utility. I have a dell optiplex 745, Core2 Duo and SATA HDD.

Anyone point me in the right direction>?

Thanks,

Keith

I have followed the install instructions on this site, installer starts ok but the hard drive does not show up in disk utility. I have a dell optiplex 745, Core2 Duo and SATA HDD.

Thanks,

Keith

Which Guide did you use and is your HD GUID or MBR?

How many times did you try?

Which Guide did you use and is your HD GUID or MBR?

How many times did you try?

I used:

"Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon, Update Lion GM"

Not sure what you mean by GUID or MBR???

Thanks.

I used:

Thanks.

Looking at disk utility in my SL install is says partition type MBR.

I used:

Thanks.

Looking at disk utility in my SL install is says partition type MBR.

Then try my Guide

Thanks, i'll give it a go tonight!

K

OK, followed your guide but still can't see the HDD. I tried to install it on a USB disk but I got a kernel panic so don't think that will work.

My only other idea is to reformat the HDD with GUID and see if it works? I presume I can do this from the SL boot CD.

OK, followed your guide but still can't see the HDD. I tried to install it on a USB disk but I got a kernel panic so don't think that will work.

My only other idea is to reformat the HDD with GUID and see if it works? I presume I can do this from the SL boot CD.

Yes try it.....but might be a problem with the Lion.app....try downloading again from apple

I have the same issue; cannot install to my internal HD because installer does not see it, but it will see an external HD. I went ahead and installed to the external one and can boot off of it, but when I copied it to my internal hd, it just hangs at boot. I'm assuming it's not seeing my SATA controller but don't know how to fix it.

I have the same issue; cannot install to my internal HD because installer does not see it, but it will see an external HD. I went ahead and installed to the external one and can boot off of it, but when I copied it to my internal hd, it just hangs at boot. I'm assuming it's not seeing my SATA controller but don't know how to fix it.

Must admit I haven't tried external HDD, I did try USB pen drive but I got kernel panic halfway through the install. Not sure if that was due to it being a pen drive. Might try external USB HDD but losing the will at the moment.

Thanks,

Keith

Hello Keith.

I'm in the exact same situation here, w/ the same Dell Optiplex model as yours.

I managed to install Lion GM on an external (USB) HDD. Worked like a charm (audio, video, USB etc.). But it just won't show any internal HDD connected.

I set SATA operation mode in BIOS to Normal/Legacy and I experimented with kexts, in the hope that I could make the system "see" the ICH8 SATA IDE controller. No results yet...

I also used a PCI-e add-in JMB363 AHCI SATA card. The controller is recognized in system profiler but the hooked SATA HDD isn't. Something doesn't sound right here...

I have a few ideas I might try. I'll keep in touch.

Yep! I think I nailed it!!!

Got Lion GM/Final (11A511) to see EVERY device (DVD-RW, HDD) connected on the ICH8 SATA controller of the Optiplex 745.

If I am correct, the trick was to use a specific kext from SL (10.6.3+), one that allows for support for our SATA IDE controller. This would be the reason why Disk Utility revealed HDD drives in SL installation but not in Lion.

Now all that remains to be done is to preinstall our Lion installer USB pen drive (Extra folder) with that kext.

As soon as I cleanup the mess I did and verify I got the correct kext I will upload it here.

Cheers ;)

Any news of the Kext,

I've got the same issue with a asus P5KC

Thanks.

Fazy

Yep! I think I nailed it!!!

Got Lion GM/Final (11A511) to see EVERY device (DVD-RW, HDD) connected on the ICH8 SATA controller of the Optiplex 745.

If I am correct, the trick was to use a specific kext from SL (10.6.3+), one that allows for support for our SATA IDE controller. This would be the reason why Disk Utility revealed HDD drives in SL installation but not in Lion.

Now all that remains to be done is to preinstall our Lion installer USB pen drive (Extra folder) with that kext.

As soon as I cleanup the mess I did and verify I got the correct kext I will upload it here.

Cheers :huh:

Any news of the Kext,

I've got the same issue with a asus P5KC

Thanks.

Fazy

Hello.

I see that your MB uses both the ICH9 and JMB363 SATA controllers.

You should be able to turn both of them into AHCI mode, through BIOS. Then OS X should catch them no problem (or w/ the help of AHCIPortinjector).

The kext I mentioned earlier is needed for ICHx SATA controller revisions which do NOT support AHCI mode, such as the ICH8 in the Optiplex 745. Those devices operate in SATA IDE emulation (non-AHCI) mode. Apparently support for them was dropped in Lion.

It is IOATAFamily.kext version 2.5.1, it's both 32/64 bit and is found in OS X 10.6.3 onwards.

IOATAFamily.kext - provide PATA (IDE) support for most systems. It will also allow many of you to run your SATA devices with AHCI disabled on most ICHx based motherboards. This kext includes AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, IOATABlockStorage.kext & IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext, they have been integrated into this kext’s plugins directory.

Keith, try for yourself, it worked wonders for me.

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

Me too. I got Lion up and running on P5K thanx to your kext!

Thank you!

Hello.

You should be able to turn both of them into AHCI mode, through BIOS. Then OS X should catch them no problem (or w/ the help of AHCIPortinjector).

The kext I mentioned earlier is needed for ICHx SATA controller revisions which do NOT support AHCI mode, such as the ICH8 in the Optiplex 745. Those devices operate in SATA IDE emulation (non-AHCI) mode. Apparently support for them was dropped in Lion.

It is IOATAFamily.kext version 2.5.1, it's both 32/64 bit and is found in OS X 10.6.3 onwards.

Keith, try for yourself, it worked wonders for me.

Hello.

HI client00 thanks for reply,

it seems that bios do not allow to set ahci option, there is a hack using another mobo bios but i will stay away from this solution.

So i will try your kext, and i will get back here to report succes or failure :-)

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
I'm glad it worked for you people.

AHCI offers advantages (i.e. HDD hot-plugging, Native Command Queueing) over non-AHCI mode, but in terms of performance the difference is next to zero.

thanks for the kext

know my dell optiplex 745 showing hd

and dont forget to enable lagecy in bois

thanks again

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

now this is odd!! In order to prevent the infamous "waiting for boot device" in Lion (10.7.4), I have to (even with above SL 10.6.3 IOATAFamily):

- either boot with default chameleon bootcaches off (= built-in -f mode)

- or set SATA mode in BIOS to legacy

Why is that? I tried different AppleIntelPIIXATA2 kexts also (in E/E and S/LE) to no avail.

Latest Cham. 1957; same w. Chimera 1.9.2.

Any explanation/ solution? I'd like to get away from the kext flashing delay on startup, but I guess SATA legacy mode slows HDD access down?

So the question is: anybody w. a Dell Optiplex booting with bootcaches enabled, + normal SATA mode in BIOS?