Read write on Windows Partition

agalex

21 posts in this topic

Hi I have tried many methods and did not work. I want someone who actually did it and worked for him to describe the method to enable writing on the NTFS partition of Windows 7 from Lion.

Definitely.

I highly recommend that you keep an eye on the logs, I don't remember if it's kernel.log or system.log that show NTFS errors, probably kernel.log. If you see any, run chkdsk /r before it gets out of hand.

I had a severe case of NTFS corruption caused by OS X when it was writing HFS 'resource forks' to some "alternate data streams" or some {censored} that's part of NTFS as I found out after a good bit of googling:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial25.html

I finally found out that I could use Trend Micro's "Hijack This" to clear out this "ADS" data: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l42.html#adsspy before chkdisk could even fix the other problems.

So be careful and check the logs from time to time.

If you use EFI partition to store Chameleon stuff and use Terminal to edit it, then in case such as this:

sudo -s
  mkdir /Volumes/EFI
  mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
  rm /Volumes/EFI/Extra/com.appe.Boot.plist
  cp ~/Desktop/com.appe.Boot.plist
  umount /Volumes/EFI
  rm -Rf /Volumes ///This will remove ALL DATA FROM ALL PARTITIONS mounted in /Volumes folder. Just a typo and Enter pressed to early...

you would lose not only OS X partition(s), but all Windows partition(s) as well (unless you turn off the PC very quickly). This is not the only scenario then read/write access could do more harm then good. Just a warning.

Good god I hope that didn't happen to you.
Unfortunately a sad experience B) Luckily NTFS is in read only mode, and non work files/system files got deleted/erased (I do my work stuff in Windows due to AutoCAD (the Mac version is worthless)).

Don't do EFI edits when it's time to sleep! :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found and used this for a long time. Yes, there's a risk with R/W to NTFS, but if it's important...here's an option. Got this from some other site, but worded it a little different.

- First, uninstall NTFS-3G/Paragon if installed.

- Backup /etc/fstab if you have it, shouldn't be there in a default install.

Open Terminal

Type:

diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name 

///copy the Volume UUID (bunch of numbers).

sudo nano /etc/fstab

///create a new line in fstab with the UUID as follows:

UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw

/// or /// 

LABEL=volume_name none ntfs rw  

///volume_name is supposed to work okay if you don't have the UUID, though I've not tried it

Repeat for other NTFS partitions.

Save the file (ctrl-x then y) and restart your system.

• 10 months later...

Yep - the exFAT is a good solution. All my USB drives are formatted in exFAT. That way it doesn't matter what computer I have access to all my stuff can be read and the device can still be written to. Perfect solution. Although too bad my windows partition came pre-installed with my new PC as it's NTFS. Maybe I need to re-install it someday, but the USB is a good go-between the two.

If all you need is read-only access, then stick with Apple provided NTFS/HFS (from bootcamp) drivers. It would be the safest choice.

If you need read/write access, then use exFAT or FAT partition. FAT has single file size limit - 4GB, so if you have files larger than that, then exFAT is the only 100% safe choice. exFAT is a new file system for portable storage media like SD cards USB pen drives etc.