[GUIDE] OSX Lion on non-GUID (works on final too)

Aju Deeju

130 posts in this topic

Upgrade from GM to Final:

1) Download Lion app from appstore

2) Follow the procedures mentioned below to prepare installation media.

3) Boot into the installation media and choose the Hard disk where GM is installed (It will

say that your files,programs,accounts etc will stay untouched.)

4) Install and reboot .

5) Follow the same post installation procedures mentioned below.

6) Done!!! Enjoy Lion.

Pre-Requisites:

1) DSDT Auto Patcher

2) Chameleon 2 RC5

3) OSX Lion.app

4) A working OSX installation

5) MBR patch by Nawcom

6) An 8 GB USB Partition/hard drive volume

7) Extra Lion DP4 pkg

8) Extra Installation Package

Installation:

1) Right click on OSX Lion.app and click show contents. Open up Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg

3) When it is mounted open up the terminal and type :

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

5) Connect the USB and go to Disk Utility to format it to OS X Extended(journaled) [in case of a hard disk partition

format it in same manner]....Now restore the Basesystem to the Flash drive or HD Partition.

6) Open Basesystem and navigate to /System/Installation/.....delete the Packages link and replace it with the

Packages folder from the InstallESD mounted earlier.

5) Now extract the Nawcom's patch for MBR (link provided below ) to the Desktop. open the installation media and

replace

/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
with the one provided and also replace

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall
with the one provided

6) Now Install Extra Lion pkg(link below) and then Chameleon 2 RC5(link below)

[both must be installed to the Installation media]

7) Done now restart and keep pressing F12 until you are asked to select the drives.....boot into the USB if installation

media is USB otherwise directly into the HD

8) In the Chameleon menu choose Mac OS Basesystem (Installation media).

9) Install on the HD partition you want and wait for installation to finish.

10) Boot into the Lion using the Installation media .

Post Installation:

1) Install Extra Installation pkg(link below) .

2) Install Chameleon 2 RC5 ( link below) .

3) Run DSDT auto patcher and copy the DSDT.aml generated in desktop to /Extra.

4) Reboot.

Done!!!

Links:

1) Extra Lion pkg

2) Chameleon

3) DSDT Auto Patcher

4) Extra installation pkg

5) Nawcom's MBR patch pkg

6) Info.plist

Credits:

All credits goes to Maldon and Nawcom....I just put them together

Troubleshooting:

1) If you have issues connecting to appstore then open up a terminal and type in :

open /Extra
and press Enter. then on the finder window that opens look up for com.boot.plist

then add these lines in it:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

reboot ...and ya...It will work.

2) If you use PS2 keyboard and it is not detected replace

/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

with the one provided

below using other mac or by placing it into the root of another usb and booting into installation media and

opening up terminal and typing in

cp /Volumes/(usb name)/Info.plist /Volumes/(lion partition)/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/

Post comments on the issues in this procedure

Some Screenshots:

screenshot20110715at103.png

screenshot20110715at103.png

screenshot20110716at100.png

Thanks I'll trying this out soon! I want to tri boot Lion, Win 7x64 and Ubuntu. This was easy with my old Kalyway distro but Lion is way more involved.

It's simple just install Win 7 first then install ubuntu using wubi and finally install Lion frm this guide. When booting into chameleon select System reserved partition which will allow you to boot into Ubuntu or Windows 7.....

Hope this helps ;)

People with issues on PS2 Keyboard and realtek audio on Lion try this out....

PS2___HDA.zip

and see if it works...

Just install the kexts using next helper b7 and double click on prefpane to get them installed .....

Reboot and enjoy

Hope this works!!! and please let me know.

When I open Disk Utility in the installer, I cannot add a partition to my HDD. The "+" is greyed out. "You can't resize partitions on this disk because it uses the Master Boot Record partition scheme. This partition cant be modified."

Is there a way to partition it without loosing data that is already on the disc?

When I open Disk Utility in the installer, I cannot add a partition to my HDD. The "+" is greyed out. "You can't resize partitions on this disk because it uses the Master Boot Record partition scheme. This partition cant be modified."

Is there a way to partition it without loosing data that is already on the disc?

Use Gparted live cd or usb

Will do. Is it possible to install Lion on a 10-20GB Partition on my SSD, but save all my applications and files on my HDD?

Yes of course Install Lion on SSD and it will probably have no problem....you may store Data in other HD but not sure of Applications

Yes of course Install Lion on SSD and it will probably have no problem....you may store Data in other HD but not sure of Applications

Yeah, thats the problem. I use about 60-80 GB for my Windows Partition, so I dont have more than max 60 GB for Lion + Apps. I just want "key apps" on the SSD. Does noone have a solution?

Edit: Apparently it is possible to just drag most applications to a folder on the HDD. Can someone confirm this?

Yeah, thats the problem. I use about 60-80 GB for my Windows Partition, so I dont have more than max 60 GB for Lion + Apps. I just want "key apps" on the SSD. Does noone have a solution?

Edit: Apparently it is possible to just drag most applications to a folder on the HDD. Can someone confirm this?

I'll try to find a solution to it and post it here if i figure out one

I purchased Lion retail today. This MBR fix did not work. The files are in different locations or have different names.

Any solutions?

It is exactly in the same location and I hope you are trying to find it in basesystem and not in InstallESD

I'll try to find a solution to it and post it here if i figure out one

Looks like it is impossible in mostly all apps that require a system. I really want to install OSX on my SSD, but it will get flooded with apps.

Edit: Great. It wont let me past the "Transfer files from another computer." thingy. When I press "Do not transfer" it just greys out the "Continue" button and nothing happens. I cannot choose the other ones as I dont have internet on it yet.

Is it possible to upgrade to Lion final from SL 10.6.8 on SL installed partition?

Yes of course follow same procedure as upgrading from GM.

Looks like it is impossible in mostly all apps that require a system. I really want to install OSX on my SSD, but it will get flooded with apps.

Edit: Great. It wont let me past the "Transfer files from another computer." thingy. When I press "Do not transfer" it just greys out the "Continue" button and nothing happens. I cannot choose the other ones as I dont have internet on it yet.

Found a solution for your Applications issue.....

Keep your applications in the separate disk and right click on each application to create an alias (approx. 123 kb) and copy it to the application folder of your Lion and Voila!!!

For your migration issue use this Info.plist instead of the one I gave above in the Guide....please let me know if it works or not.

:angel:

||

||

||

\/

Info.plist.zip

Yes of course follow same procedure as upgrading from GM.

Found a solution for your Applications issue.....

Keep your applications in the separate disk and right click on each application to create an alias (approx. 123 kb) and copy it to the application folder of your Lion and Voila!!!

For your migration issue use this Info.plist instead of the one I gave above in the Guide....please let me know if it works or not.

:angel:

||

||

||

\/

Info.plist.zip

I am trying a reinstall right now. If it doesent work, I'll try the new info.plist

Edit: Worked with reinstall. :)

It is exactly in the same location and I hope you are trying to find it in basesystem and not in InstallESD

I dunno. I did a cumbersome work around. What I can say is that when I went into which ever Packages folder there was no OSInstall.mpkg. I think it was "OSInstall.pkg". Two different file names.

Keep in mind this was on the App Store download. nawcom's simple command line method worked fine on all other Lions including GM... just not retail. Did your method work on the Retail Lion or are you just assuming it will work because it worked on GM?

I havent tried that out yet. However, I cannot start DSDT Auto-Patcher. "To open "DSDT Auto-Patcher," you need to install a Java runtime, but you are not connected to the Internet."

Download and install lnx2mac ethernet drivers