Can't set SATA mode to AHCI? nForce 630i Problem!

56 posts in this topic

So, After a lot of research, I finally decided what I will be getting.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 Kit

CPU: Intel i5 2500K - 3.30Ghz

Graphics: EVGA GTX 460 FPB

Motherboard: GA-P67X-UD3-B3

What are your thoughts? good/bad?

In general, Gigabyte MOBOs appear to provide the easiest/best support for OSx86, followed by Asus MOBOs, with IMHO perhaps Asus typically having the better BIOS / EFI setup.......Google for David Ramsey and OS X........ :wink2:

@verdant I will be getting my new hardware soon, but while I'm waiting I thought of asking you why the AppleNForceATA doesn't even load when I boot into verbose mode? Is it because I'm placing it in the wrong place or installing it in the wrong way? Or is it because my nForce 630i is supposed to be fully AHCI compliant?

Thanks!

@verdant I will be getting my new hardware soon, but while I'm waiting I thought of asking you why the AppleNForceATA doesn't even load when I boot into verbose mode? Is it because I'm placing it in the wrong place or installing it in the wrong way? Or is it because my nForce 630i is supposed to be fully AHCI compliant?

Thanks!

If it does not load/work, it is probably due to the fact that your 630i is fully AHCI-compliant.........check this by installing it in /S/L/E/ and resetting its ownership and permissions correctly via Terminal commands, then reboot and see if it loads or not.....

• 3 weeks later...

I have a miserable nForce 4 chipset, with RAID, but no AHCI in BIOS. Thanks to the advice, I will enable RAID, but disable each of the drives from the RAID array (?!).

With any luck, I should see my drives (and be able to boot Retail 10.6.3?) via SATA?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer!

Cheers.

RAID implies AHCI, so you can do whatever you want with the array.

Even if it's not in RAID or AHCI, you can probably boot SATA with another kext. The OSx86 ModCD (for which I have a guide in my signature) has three kexts for nForce chipsets, so you may want to try the ModCD with your 10.6.3 disc. That will give you the best shot. ;)