Can't set SATA mode to AHCI? nForce 630i Problem!

56 posts in this topic

@ PookMacMan

The 630i chipset is fully AHCI compliant and so cannot use the AppleNForceATA.kext (whatever variant of MeDevil's original)......see here......

From my Snow Leopard nForce Install Guide:

Regarding MeDevil's original AppleNForceATA.kext and AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext, as well as its later variants by slashack, AnV, aryajuanda, note the following quote from MeDevil (I have put AHCI-compliant device IDs in bold):

I've re-fixed the driver. Some users where still not detecting sata and/or pata drives, so this version should solve some problems. Below, a list of device+vendor id for supported pata/sata chipsets by this kext:

PATA: 0x01bc10de 0x006510de 0x008510de 0x00d510de 0x00e510de 0x003510de 0x005310de 0x026510de 0x036e10de 0x03ec10de

SATA: 0x008e10de 0x00e310de 0x00ee10de 0x003610de 0x003e10de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x026610de 0x026710de 0x037e10de 0x037f10de 0x03e710de 0x03f610de 0x03f710de 0x045c10de 0x045d10de 0x045e10de 0x045f10de

Know AHCI SATA enabled chipset device+vendor id: 0x044c10de 0x044d10de 0x044e10de 0x044f10d 0x055010de 0x055110de 0x055210de 0x055310de 0x056010de 0x055410de 0x058410de

Know AHCI PATA chipsets device+vendor id: 0x056010de 0x056010de 0x056c10de 0x075910de

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI SATA enabled chipsets" then you CANNOT USE THIS KEXT!

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI PATA enabled chipsets" then you can try to use this kext for the pata handling, but this is not tested, so try at your own risk!

There are a couple others beside the NForceATA kext, mainly a VIA kext that also covers several nForce chipsets as well. I can upload it for you to look at if you want.

@PookyMacMan Yes, I'd appreciate it if you uploaded the VIA kext so that I can give it a go. I'll place it in the /E/E right? And how do I use the OSx86 ModCD?

@verdant That is all too much trouble man. I will basically need 3 SATA HDs to do this, and it might not even work :/ Can't you find a simpler way? During all of your nForce experience, you've never encountered a problem like mine?

Yes, but it patches the installer automatically, so you don't need anything post-installation like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

@PookyMacMan Yes, I'd appreciate it if you uploaded the VIA kext so that I can give it a go. I'll place it in the /E/E right? And how do I use the OSx86 ModCD?

@verdant That is all too much trouble man. I will basically need 3 SATA HDs to do this, and it might not even work :/ Can't you find a simpler way? During all of your nForce experience, you've never encountered a problem like mine?

I understand that it is not worth the hassle and I would be surprised if it worked, as OS X does not work with BIOS RAID directly.....

I do not know what mileage you will get from this and you may not get as far as Lion with it, but see the end of this post for what has worked for some others.......

I'm gradually giving up. Whatever I do always ends up in a failure with more complexity. I've been trying to get past that god damned still waiting for root device for almost a year now... I think I'm just going to give up and save myself the time.

Well, I've been infact thinking of upgrading my computer. My budget is at USD 400. What good hardware do you recommend that also work well with OS X?

I want to upgrade my graphics (currently nVidia GeForce 9500 GS), RAM (from 4GB to 8GB), MOBO (currently nForce 630i obviously xD) and CPU (currently Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 at 2.50GHz).

@ iBifteki

If the last shot I linked you to does not work, and you decide to get a new MOBO go for Intel chipset MOBO with Intel CPU but not a mainstream complete system brand such as HP, Acer, Lenovo etc. as they tend to use custom BIOS versions that tend not to be as freely configurable as the OEM MOBO BIOS versions..........also get a OS X compatible MOBO by checking out:

Southbridge/Northbridge chipset

Audio CODEC/chipset

LAN chipset

etc.

choosing chipsets which cause the fewest problems for OS X.......e.g. Gigabyte, Asus, etc.

With your experience, can you tell me exactly what to buy? By that, I mean name CPUs, MOBOs, etc.

Thanks!

I suggest you look here to get a good feel for what your options are with OS X Lion 10.7.2..........rather than you getting what someone else recommends because each person looks for different things from a computer.......

Probably. I can recommend some good hardware if you can tell me what you are planning to do with your hackintosh. :)

Actually, the only thing you really need to swap out is your mobo. You can keep the same CPU/GPU if you want.

I want some powerful hardware. Better than the ones I posted in my earlier post, since I generally need a computer upgrade. I mainly use Windows 7. Installing mac on my PC is a fun project since I really like the OS, but I would definitely use it for things like Photoshop, video editing, etc. if it was a fully working OS.

High Definition video recording and editing, gaming, after effects, photoshop, etc. I really need a fast computer to handle the H.264 recording and rendering. Also, a powerful graphics card would be really nice as well for Skyrim and Need for Speed :P.

So, After a lot of research, I finally decided what I will be getting.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 Kit

CPU: Intel i5 2500K - 3.30Ghz

Graphics: EVGA GTX 460 FPB

Motherboard: GA-P67X-UD3-B3

What are your thoughts? good/bad?