Atheros AR9820 no airport in list

POMATu

22 posts in this topic

I have read many guides about installing retail snow leopard 10.6.7 on eeepc 1000he. In many of them there is written that I am happy having Atheros AR9820 except of ralink card, because ralink has an ugly utility, and Atheros works without installing any kext. BUT THERE IS NO AIRPORT IN THE LIST! Osx just dont see it!

I love more this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190295

because there I dont have problems with voodoohda. So I used that one.

I have Eeepc 1000he with Atheros AR9820 with latest bios 1104. If anybody knows what to do, please help!

try the kext for AR9287 .. i had same issue with azurewave AW-ne772 .. but AW-ne771 works. dual transmitters issue.

i replaced it with Ar5b91 .. not ar5bxb92

or the tape pin 20 trick might help. if its bios controled wireless switch

Thanks for reply. I tried AR9287 from kexsts.com. Look what I have done:

1. Downloaded from kexsts.com "IO80211Family.kext for AR9287 10.6.7.zip"

2. Tried to install it with kext utility. It copied, applied permissions, then failed because it cant generate cache. (I dont know why)

3. Then I put it in /Extra/GeneralExtentions and started "updateextra" shoe program

4. rebooted

5. Got to system preferences > Network

6. Nothing... Clean :D

If I did everything right, seems that this kext didnt helped :D

What is 20 pin trick? I googled that people use it when replace cards. How can this trick help me?

Thanks a lot.

helps to power on wireless card if bios is turning it off.

ive had issues with wrong model identifying in smbios making wifi dissapear.. but i think u best stick with 10.6.7 cause of netbook and recent changes in 10.6.8

whts the lspci -vv of that card ?

at last i would see if its AR5B91 .. is it a HALF size card ? i had issues with another atheros 2A same issue nothing in list. switched to AR5B91 and works 100%

but it could be your dsdt as well!.

I disabled bluetooth and enabled wifi. Wireless led is on in osx. So I think wifi is always on.

Before you post I have successfuly ruined my mac, so I need to restore it from image. I booted linux livecd and typed lspci -vv

There is an output:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1026
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
Region 0: Memory at fbef0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ath5k_pci
Kernel modules: ath_pci, ath5k

wtf? It cant be AR242x. I will restore mac in 40 min and type lspci in mac.

Full output:

output.txt

on the note.. that card can be rebranded in linux Ath5k . the lspci -n says ?

btw the ar9287 kext also needs sometimes the kernel supplied with it. and use kext wizard to instal it to /System/Library/Extensions check box to backup if replacing.

the linux sometimes uses oldermadwifi driver. i use mint 10 and up and it uses compatwireless ath9k for my ar5b91

is yours a 1/2 size card ? of full size. easy access or disassembly to see it ?

EDIT: seen vid. .seems full size card. u can get on ebay ar5b91 for 7$ free shipping.

err AR9820 ? AR9280 ?? i think your card isnt a working model.

What do you mean by "supplied kernel"?

Booted my mac. Here is the output.

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Unknown device 1a3b:1026
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
Region 0: Memory at fbef0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=375mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
	Address: fee00000  Data: 4093
Capabilities: [60] Express (v1) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <512ns, L1 <64us
		ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE- FLReset-
	DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
		RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
		MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
	DevSta:	CorrErr+ UncorrErr+ FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
	LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <512ns, L1 <64us
		ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
	LnkCtl:	ASPM L1 Enabled; RCB 128 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
		ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
	LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
	Vector table: BAR=0 offset=00000000
	PBA: BAR=0 offset=00000000
Capabilities: [100] #168c
Capabilities: [001] #1c16
Capabilities: [470] #4a
Capabilities: [101] #1c16
Capabilities: [470] <chain looped>

-vv

vv.txt

-n

n_2.txt

Again it shows other model. Now it is AR5001.

I dont know sizes of wifi modules. Yes I need to disassemble it. Need to take all bottom panel. If you think this is neccesary, I can do it.

I took some photos of wifi module and all botom panel (I can be mistaken, and this can be not wifi module):

post-827267-1310586326_thumb.jpg

post-827267-1310586372_thumb.jpg

yah its a full size.. if its ar5007 some work. some dont. .depend on a/b/g/ or b/g... plain b/g usualy dont work.

the AR5007GS some work. and GS-X work

u can change it with a youtube video to take apart .. i recommend bcm94321 or AR5B91

if you had AR9287 which i dont recommend http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257011

however theres is a ar5007gs trick to use kismac to turn on = blehh unreliable and sometimes kp.. change card

I have b/g.

Would this help? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122365

I searched through my city market and found AR5B91. Also I found a lot of bcm94311. Will bcm94311 work?

Thanks

if your card is b/g rebrand likely wont work. (and big chance of killing card if done wrong)

device 1C had many subversions of chipsets .. all depends on subsystem. if we rebrand yours and the rom on the card isnt full of the info in places where its empty (A missing) then it wont load with Hal13 could not attach. = waste of time

the bcm94311 works. but its b/g only and older.. the best are AR5B91 or BCM94321MC

I have the same card in my asus m50vm notebook and used devicemergenub.kext (from here) with the original kext in 10.68 and it worked for me. since then i've added a dsdt entry fron here and it's working perfect. sometime i would boot to osx and no wifi, i just need to turn off the wifi and turn back on for it to work. did the same using devicemergenub.kext

nice catch.. like i said. .some work. some dont. EDIT: err i hope were not confusing cards.

the same card = ?? which ? AR9280 ?? or AR9820 ??

device id

Ar5B91 = 2A works native since 10.6.3

AR9285 = 2B works since 10.6.5 with the devicemergenub ^ and DSDT id of 2A

his card is AR5007G ? 1C

or is it AR9820 ?? typo AR9280

aw-ne771 1000HE hmmm

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_...SLanguage=en-us

sorry LatinMcG mine is a 9280. no misprint, misread!!

yes devicce id 2A .. works perfect for me as long as its not aw-ne772 (dual transmitter wouldnt work for me) :) rather have the working Ar5B91

or AR9285 2b can run as 2a in dsdt

I bought AR5B91 as you recomended. Works good, thanks. I tried to update Airport utility (dont know why I did it), and after reboot I got "Airport not connected". Now downgrading from hdd image. Seems like apple somehow blocked this card in update.

Oops. I was mistaken. I have a problem now. After backup restore my card works well, untill reboot. Then sometimes it say that card is not inserted. Sometimes it works. Can you help with this?

More info: First time it works, next time dont, next time works, next time dont. and so on.

When it dont work, grey filled airport icon shows for a sec, then shows empty airport icon and message that card not installed.

When it works, black filled airport icon shows indicating connections state.

tried installing kext for AR9287 - didnt helped.

how it can be?

wow youre quick. so u opened it and changed it.

and no its not blocked its a netbook.. and smbios.plist can cause wireless to be missing if no Mac-Fxxxxx in it.

also in dsdt Device (PCI) has _ADR Zero might need _UID instead or added.

make sure u check ram slots to be clean.. re insert ram after cleaning slot and ram gold contacts with pencil eraser.

put tape on pin 20 so it stays on always. and controled by os only

lets fix your dsdt so it thinks its subsystem 8F (apple)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package ()
                           {
                               "AAPL,slot-name", Buffer () {"AirPort"}, 
                               "device_type", Buffer () {"AirPort"}, 
                               "subsystem-id", Buffer () {0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00}, 
                               "subsystem-vendor-id", Buffer () {0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00}
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }

upload in a zip and show me in iorexexplorer where its located should say pci168c,2a

what date does the card say..any special models # on it ?

what smbios.plist are you using. .show me it.

lets get dsdt and kexts loaded with dsdt auto-patcher thread tool

(boot without dsdt somehow. .with hackboot in usb ? to get original dsdt .. and send me modded also if u using any)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1571259

"If you want to send me information about your system so I can make an auto-patcher for it, please download and run the attached "run_me" script and attach the "send_me.zip" file it creates on your desktop. The included data is your DSDT, a list of loaded kexts, an ioreg dump and the kernel log. If you want to see the commands it runs, just open the script with "Automator".

run_me.zip ( 66.11K )"

I'd better modify pin20 at the last.

I am using dsdt from 1000H 2gb 2104. With this dsdt, netbook boots faster, that with generated by netbook-installer one.

dsdt.zip

what date does the card say..any special models # on it ?

Where I can see that?

Now using no smbios, but from guide I should use this

smbios.zip

This is send_me

send_me.zip

How I can boot without dsdt? I didn't catch..

upload in a zip and show me in iorexexplorer where its located should say pci168c,2a

If you still need this, I'll do it later today.

I'd better modify pin20 at the last.

I am using dsdt from 1000H 2gb 2104. With this dsdt, netbook boots faster, that with generated by netbook-installer one.

dsdt.zip

Where I can see that?

Now using no smbios, but from guide I should use this

smbios.zip

This is send_me

send_me.zip

How I can boot without dsdt? I didn't catch..

If you still need this, I'll do it later today.

try this dsdt.aml and MacbookAir2,1 smbios.plist copy to /Extra

i need to find out where is the wireless card on ioregexplorer can u boot -x ?

look for 168c,2a in ioregexplorer.

never mind its in the send_me file.

try this dsdt.aml in /Extra

rename to dsdt.aml

i fixed the irqno .. had a few extras u didnt need in ipic and timr and rtc.

after it reboots..run the run_me again .. delete old run_me zip u posted. upload new.. i see u sent it with bad smbios info. macbook4,1 ?? i put macbookAir2,1

+-o MacBook4,1  <class IOPlatformExpertDevice, id 0x10000010a, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (25071 ms), retain 36>
| {
|   "IOBusyInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
|   "system-type" = <02>
|   "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
|   "product-name" = <"MacBook4,1">
|   "IOPlatformUUID" = "00000000-0000-1000-8000-000000000000"
|   "IOPlatformArgs" = 
|	 00000000: 00 90 1F 02 00 F0 98 00 48 D0 1E 02 00 00 00 00												 ........H.......
|   "board-id" = <"Mac-F22788A9">
|   "IOPlatformSerialNumber" = "94OAAQ168247"
|   "version" = <"1.0">
|   "IOPolledInterface" = "SMCPolledInterface is not serializable"
|   "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0900000005000000>)
|   "compatible" = <"MacBook4,1">
|   "orig-model" = <"1000HE">
|   "manufacturer" = <"Apple Inc.">
|   "name" = <"/">
|   "clock-frequency" = <ac86bc27>
|   "model" = <"MacBook4,1">

make sure u dont have Extra hidden in EFI

mount EFi partition with EFI mount tool (extract to utilities folder) look in it .. if Extra it has smbios.plist ? does it say macbook4,1 ? No okk unmount with EFI unmount tool.

seems you have intermitent issues from a bad backup (bad install)

fresh install ? with this dsdt and smbios.plist

I disabled "Boot booster" option in bios, because when it was "boosted" I was unable to press tab and write boot parameters. And now with this option disabled, wifi works everytime. Seems like when it was a "boosted" boot, wifi didnt worked.

post-827267-1310925888_thumb.jpgpost-827267-1310925927_thumb.jpg

When I used your dsdt, I had a loooong boot, but whenI use mine, it is fast. I have everything working now, except sleep menu button (I use smartsleep to go to sleep), and after wake up there is a black screen. Also voodoohda had installed, and working! but I hear some noise from speakers, even if I have no sound playing, but volume is highest. Moreover if I conect external mic I hear myself like on desktop (I had already created post about this problem ).

So now should I use your dsdt? will it fix all that? will boot be as fast as with mine?

Thanks, for all your help.