New to the Terminal- Having trouble

iKxGaMeX

6 posts in this topic

Along my path of upgrading my 10.6.3 install to the latest version using software update (10.6.8 I believe) I've ran into a problem that I believe requires me to remove SleepEnabler. Now im not asking whether or not I should be doing this, or if its the correct plan of action to take.

I want to know why the terminal is giving me so much trouble.

To remove sleepenabler from my non-booting osx install, I booted into the terminal on my iAtkos S3 V2 disk. I use the following command:

rm -rf /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

which works without issue.

However, when I try to run

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

, I get an error message saying "Read-only file system"

After searching around, I somewhat learned how to use umount and mount_hfs to remount the filesystem with write permissions. I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I came up with the following command:

mount_hfs -w /dev/disk0s1/ /Volumes/OSX

Initially when trying to mount this I'd get an error: "realpath /Volumes/OSX: No such file or directory"

I used ls to get from root to Volumes, and sure enough there wasnt an OSX listed, so i created one with mkdir. Now when I try the same command, I get another error:

GetMasterBlock: Error 20 opening /dev/rdisk0s1/
  GetMasterBlock: Error 20 opening /dev/rdisk0s1/
  mount_hfs: Not a directory

As of now i'm completely lost as to where to proceed. I have very limited experience with the terminal (in OSX and linux) so any advice given to me would have to be very basic. Also, could somebody explain to me where the error in my logic is with these commands? If thats too muchthen point me to where I could learn about how to properly achieve this. Thanks in advance :)

When in Single User Mode (Terminal Mode), first run fsck -y, then mount the root partition by typing mount -wu /. Then proceed with the other commands.

If you look closely, this is shown to you (how to do it) when you boot into Single User Mode.

*facepalm*

You're overlooking something very obvious. The above command doesn't work because you're trying to delete a file on your install DVD, which is of course read only.

You have to do like this

rm -rf /Volumes/nameofyourOSXpartition/System/Library/Extensions/sleepenabler.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/nameofyourOSXpartition/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

You don't have to mount or unmount anything or create any directories or do anything else.

• 2 years later...

I'm having a similar problem to the one above, but I'm trying to mount the EFI partition on my USB stick in order to install clover.  It worked once, but then I had to go to work so I ejected the disk, and came back home to finish the install.  I tried to mount the EFI again (using sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI) and now it's telling me that 'realpath /Volumes/EFI: no such file or directory'.  Anyone know what's going on?

The folder, for reference, is in fact on the USB stick, I went in and created it myself.